Crane collapse downtown

alanjh595
Banned

Re: Crane collapse downtown

Post by alanjh595 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 16th, 2021, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack
Bring back the LIKE button.
Sonny Taylor
Board Meister

Post by Sonny Taylor »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Sep 14th, 2021, 4:57 pm
MAPearce wrote: Sep 14th, 2021, 4:10 pmI know , right ??? But Nucks has a good point .

It's why causes of fatal accidents are often keep quiet .
Worksafe has to do the investigation squeaky clean and by the book. Otherwise they will be investigated and taken to court. Like that mill explosions up north years ago.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/br ... e21280437/
In case anyone is interested, here's the WorkSafe report for the Lakeland Mills incident too:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Bqkuxw ... sp=sharing

I haven't read it all and I offer no opinion. It's downloaded from WorkSafe and shared from my google drive as I did with the above tug incident report. Hope I'm not drifting the topic here; WorkSafe seems quite relevant to the topic at hand.

These reports read very much like the USA's NTSB (National Transportation Safety Board) aircraft crash reports.
Jamie1975+

Post by Jamie1975+ »

motokelowna1 wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 3:52 pm Response time is critical and one thing that needs a look at is the bridge. It needs a 3rd lane (Emergency) into Kelowna as we were on the bridge as the West Kelowna Emergency was trying to get through. Planning needs to be done now.
This is a very important take away. I unfortunately saw the whole incident happen and the response to recover the injured worker who fell and was stuck on the crane platform 100 ft up took over 8 hours to get him down, they didn't know what to do. We need Emergency Response Training for high-rise as we are going to continue building these in Kelowna.
Tankur
Board Meister

Post by Tankur »

8 hours to do a high angle rescue. Damnit. Just so brutal. Ladder truck probably would’ve been suffice to reach him. 8 . Hours. Man that is no damn good. Sorry you got to witness that happen man.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

Jamie1975+ wrote: Sep 20th, 2021, 9:53 pm
motokelowna1 wrote: Jul 13th, 2021, 3:52 pm Response time is critical and one thing that needs a look at is the bridge. It needs a 3rd lane (Emergency) into Kelowna as we were on the bridge as the West Kelowna Emergency was trying to get through. Planning needs to be done now.
This is a very important take away. I unfortunately saw the whole incident happen and the response to recover the injured worker who fell and was stuck on the crane platform 100 ft up took over 8 hours to get him down, they didn't know what to do. We need Emergency Response Training for high-rise as we are going to continue building these in Kelowna.
I'm betting it had more to do with safety than not knowing what to do you can't just send guys up an unstable structure that just collapsed or you will be rescuing more people
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

Boosted632 wrote: Oct 12th, 2021, 2:00 pm
I'm betting it had more to do with safety than not knowing what to do you can't just send guys up an unstable structure that just collapsed or you will be rescuing more people
Agree100%.

#1 rule is to not put rescuers at risk/in danger.
You can't train for an disaster such as a complete crane failure with unknown stability factors. Hence why the whole neighbourhood was evacuated for days until deemed safe.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

soupy wrote: Oct 12th, 2021, 3:49 pm
Agree100%.

#1 rule is to not put rescuers at risk/in danger.
You can't train for an disaster such as a complete crane failure with unknown stability factors. Hence why the whole neighbourhood was evacuated for days until deemed safe.
Agreed.
Rule #1 in industrial 1st aid. Ensure no danger.
Bring back the LIKE button.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Attachments
agreed.jpg
Last edited by nucksRnum1 on Oct 13th, 2021, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

alanjh595 wrote: Oct 12th, 2021, 6:07 pm
Agreed.
Rule #1 in industrial 1st aid. Ensure no danger.
Recently saw crazy video of a rescue in a pit via crane and basket.
3 rescuers went down in the basket to get 2 downed workers. One of the rescuers had on SCBA the other 2 did not.

One of the rescuers also went down during the process making it into 2 rescuers and 3 downed workers.
It was pretty dramatic video to watch. *couldnt find link to it*
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

WorkSafeBC not releasing crane collapse report, for now, at recommendation of police

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/4 ... -of-police
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

ferri wrote: May 16th, 2023, 11:28 am WorkSafeBC not releasing crane collapse report, for now, at recommendation of police

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/4 ... -of-police
criminal investigation, interesting :135:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

For clarity.............
RCMP say their investigation is focusing on determining if there are any criminal elements related to the collapse.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Somebody is about to run to Mexico if found responsible?
nicholas p
Fledgling

Post by nicholas p »

any case 8 hrs is too much but for future as cranes areincreasing in Okanagan they have to get some persons trained by focussing on this accident's failure.
Mazdatruck
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Mazdatruck »

The instagram account of the operator is key evidence.

No helmets, no fall harness and the operator was wearing skate shoes.

Everything is "sick bro" until it's not.

Return to “Central Okanagan”