Shortage of skilled workers

Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Vacancyrate wrote: Oct 11th, 2021, 4:19 pm
bb49 wrote: Oct 11th, 2021, 12:06 pm And there are cheaper places to live.
Who's cleans the toilets and serves the fries when they leave?
If someone has even a bit of initiative or drive, they won't be making minimum wage for long.
Person working full-time can't even afford food or shelter.

How long does this person have to wait until the boss bumps them up from minimum wage to 20 dollars a hour?

How many years?

How many service businesses can afford to pay more than minimum wage?
Well rather than putting tips from their restaurant job into their daily drug habit, maybe use that money for, hmm, a nicer place to stay.
50 bucks a day for a high, or 50 bucks a day for accommodation? Tough decisions.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

alanjh595 wrote: Oct 10th, 2021, 1:48 pmIf they are obviously high or drunk, they won't be dispatched.
I've hired dozens of temp labourers throughout the years, and it's always been a bit of a lottery: " - Oh, who will I get today? Will it be a hardworking oil worker in-between seasons who will actually get stuff done or a homeless person who will steal my sandwich and who you have to "motivate" with a sharp stick every few minutes otherwise he won't move?"

Some dudes were ok actually, I hired one of them as a full-timer. Few I told to go home because they were useless. One said - why should I work hard, I'm only getting a min wage. So I told him that I know it's no wonder he can't get a steady job and told him to take a hike.

And some were kick-*bleep* guys who worked unbelievably hard.

So no, I don't think I've ever seen anybody drunk or high, but lots just kinda weird as they were on something, but they were a minority.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

stuphoto wrote: Oct 11th, 2021, 9:01 pm I have worked for Labour Ready and that sort of place for a few days in the past, that is how I based my previous commitment.
They honestly do send out their favorite workers first, or is it those they just wanted away from the office?
In my case it was usually when I was between jobs, however I once got a short term job offered.
Even Steven wrote: Oct 11th, 2021, 4:43 pm Does anyone even pay minimum wage in this city?

I think it's impossible to earn less than $25/hour for a guy with good set of hands.
My experience is you will rarely find a $25 per hour job in Kelowna.

This is the top paying job title listed in the Drivers Wanted on Castanet Classified.
https://classifieds.castanet.net/detail ... s/2309790/
Starting at $20 for back breaking work.

When I left Bluestar 2 years ago it was $20.50 per hour and I doubt it is over $22 per hour now.
I should point out, most of us were very happy there and didn't mind making a little less until they hired one new office member.
Then the company morel dropped fast.

At that time, the few driving jobs that paid hourly usually started you off at $22.
The top paying driving jobs in the Okanogan were around $25.
I understand this hasn't really changed except for Concrete Pumpers.

I now make more than that on the Golf Islands with cheap rent, very little traffic and pretty much no place to spend my money.

Just for S&G let's look at Farm Work.

https://classifieds.castanet.net/detail ... s/3651258/
$15.20

https://classifieds.castanet.net/detail ... y/3899912/
$16 to $17

https://classifieds.castanet.net/detail ... d/4548970/
$17

https://classifieds.castanet.net/detail ... r/4548783/
$15.20
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

stuphoto wrote: Oct 11th, 2021, 9:08 pm This is the top paying job title listed in the Drivers Wanted on Castanet Classified.
https://classifieds.castanet.net/detail ... s/2309790/
Starting at $20 for back breaking work.

Just for S&G let's look at Farm Work.

https://classifieds.castanet.net/detail ... s/3651258/
$15.20

https://classifieds.castanet.net/detail ... y/3899912/
$16 to $17

https://classifieds.castanet.net/detail ... d/4548970/
$17

https://classifieds.castanet.net/detail ... r/4548783/
$15.20
Well, I wouldn't put movers or apple pickers as "skilled workers" as the title of the topic suggests other jobs. But even in an un-trained world, you can earn much more.

By the way, Castanet Classifieds is a terrible source for job postings, only used by stuck behind times companies, you gotta go to better sources.

Here's where my neighbour's kid works and makes a very good coin. Way over $25/hour and he isn't skilled by any means, it's not a trade job.

https://g.co/kgs/15ktno
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

There isn't a shortage of skilled labour. There is a death grip on wallets from people who want skilled labour. There is a reason why it's called "skilled" labour. Want skills? Then Pay. Simple.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Even Steven wrote: Oct 11th, 2021, 9:51 pm
By the way, Castanet Classifieds is a terrible source for job postings, only used by stuck behind times companies, you gotta go to better sources.
I do agree with you on that. However even though I am not looking for a job at this time I still look from time to time.
Even Indeed has become a lousy job source lately.
There is a reason the same companies advertise week after week.
They are either lousy to work for, or have blatant, obvious lies in their adds.

I do still like the Castanet Classified better than Kijiji for local used items.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

stuphoto wrote: Oct 11th, 2021, 10:55 pm
Even Steven wrote: Oct 11th, 2021, 9:51 pm
I do agree with you on that. However even though I am not looking for a job at this time I still look from time to time.
Even Indeed has become a lousy job source lately.
There is a reason the same companies advertise week after week.
They are either lousy to work for, or have blatant, obvious lies in their adds.

I do still like the Castanet Classified better than Kijiji for local used items.
I'll find out soon enough, I'll be looking for a job at the end of October-November after years and years of being self-employed. Will have to dust off my resume and get big boy pants on ... :)
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Lots of luck finding the perfect job,
If you don't mind me asking, what would you like to do?
If the right person sees it you may just find the perfect job before even starting your search :biggrin:

If your online presence is anything like your real life personality you should be an asset to most companies.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Well rather than putting tips from their restaurant job into their daily drug habit, maybe use that money for, hmm, a nicer place to stay.
50 bucks a day for a high, or 50 bucks a day for accommodation? Tough decisions.
You really think that people who clean toilets get tips ????
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

MAPearce wrote: Oct 12th, 2021, 4:40 pm
Let me be the first to give them a tip: "Get a better job".
Bring back the LIKE button.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Vacancyrate wrote: Oct 11th, 2021, 4:19 pm

Who's cleans the toilets and serves the fries when they leave?
You :up:
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Oct 11th, 2021, 10:37 pm There isn't a shortage of skilled labour. There is a death grip on wallets from people who want skilled labour. There is a reason why it's called "skilled" labour. Want skills? Then Pay. Simple.
Actually , THERE is ...

Lots of jobs out there that pay VERY well .. Might I suggest that it's NOT the death grip on wallets that want skilled labour but rather the death grip of the wallets that think they can get thick money for a basement suit in a half duplex from a skilled labourer ? ..

The work and money is out there and the "landlords" know it .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Yeah, everyone should shoot for that prestige position of "Sandblaster". I bet there is big bucks in that job.

It takes a very SPECIAL person to do that job, and it only requires that coveted grade 8 education.
Bring back the LIKE button.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

A Sandblaster can destroy a classic car in seconds or save thousands of dollars in prep work.
I was amazed how quickly they remove rust and even if you don't coat it right away the rust doesn't usually return for a while.
Try that with chemical treatments and the rust usually reappears within hours.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

MAPearce wrote: Oct 12th, 2021, 4:40 pm
^^^
Hit the keyboard without reading. [icon_lol2.gif]
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate

Return to “North Okanagan”