Shortage of skilled workers

MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Re: Shortage of skilled workers

Post by MAPearce »

stuphoto wrote: Oct 12th, 2021, 9:23 pm A Sandblaster can destroy a classic car in seconds or save thousands of dollars in prep work.
I was amazed how quickly they remove rust and even if you don't coat it right away the rust doesn't usually return for a while.
Try that with chemical treatments and the rust usually reappears within hours.
Yeup .. It also pays well and since not many can do it or are willing to do it , job security is a no brainer .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

stuphoto wrote: Oct 12th, 2021, 10:53 am Lots of luck finding the perfect job,
If you don't mind me asking, what would you like to do?
If the right person sees it you may just find the perfect job before even starting your search :biggrin:

If your online presence is anything like your real life personality you should be an asset to most companies.
I've spent years either running my own business or running businesses for other people as a manager. I've learned a few things over the years, and for my next adventure, I'm looking for something where I can be teaching other people how to do it better. So, I was a bit torn between becoming a consultant for business owners or running another business for somebody. I'm too young to retire and I will probably get bored lol.

In real life I'm much nicer and usually keep my edgy opinions to myself lol [icon_lol2.gif]
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

LIES
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-10-15 215621.jpg
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

There is never a shortage of skilled workers.

There is a shortage of skilled workers at the wages offered.
polelady
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by polelady »

You get what you pay for.... simple and true... never changes... employers know that but think cheap labor is the way to go.... if they do not work out... hire another cheap one... to bad someone does not ad up the training lose.. and how much turnovers cost... !!!
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

polelady wrote: Oct 17th, 2021, 7:21 pm You get what you pay for.
There's a flip side to that.

You get what you're worth.

So, when people say "only min wage jobs are offered to me"...that's a good reason to look into a mirror and ask yourself why am I not bring more more value to be worth more.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I disagree with that one.
If you are only getting low-ball wages offered it's time to look elsewhere.
I am not saying move, rather saying apply at Save-On rather than 7-11.
Similar job with the chances of a future.
Or learn to cook, and clean. Camp jobs are often looking for for those workers and usually pay decent.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

:cuss: got REAL!
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-10-17 205529.jpg
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

I pretty much only drive Macks when behind that wheel, so it couldn't have been me [icon_lol2.gif]
Oh, I reverse the dog, so I am mooning everyone else, not myself [icon_lol2.gif]
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Another "poor oppressed worker narrative" that isn't what people want it to be:
the semi-truck driver was hired remotely on Monday and completed only one load before issues arose with his behavior. The driver was then summoned to the Chicago facility to be fired in person, according to the source's information.

The source said the company offered to pay him for all his miles, reimburse him for the items he bought like a mattress and trash can to outfit his truck, and even give him a plane ticket to get back home. It was also allegedly pointed out that the ongoing demand for truckers meant it wouldn't be hard for him to get another gig. All the while, the source claimed, the driver kept asking to remain with the company and refused those accommodations.

Those talks, taking place in front of numerous witnesses, apparently broke down after a while, with the tipping point being a disagreement about how to shuttle the driver to a nearby Wal-Mart. At that point, the driver allegedly asked if the $260,000 Ferrari GTC4Lusso was the owner's. When confirmed, the source said the trucker replied "Now you'll see what happens when you *bleep* with me," ran towards an empty rig and started it up. The source added the owner gave chase and almost ended up under the wheels as the rogue driver charged towards his Ferrari and smashed his way up onto the supercar's hood.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/33373/the ... -you-think

Doesn't sound anything like the working-class hero he's been made out to be - more like the sort of sniveling ninny that blames everyone else for misfortunes of his own making.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

oldtrucker wrote: Oct 18th, 2021, 9:10 am ^^^ 2 days ago I was offered a night job to do 12-13hr Coq . Kelowna- Van- Kel. trips for $300 /day. Thats about $23/hr. Thats about 3$hr more than mcdonalds to drive a 45 ton semi, the danger and liability. What a joke. I was polite, thanked him and said I'll think about it .
Bet it didn't even occur to you to drive over that person's vehicle on the way out.

We did a similar comparison before getting out of the business.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

oldtrucker wrote: Oct 18th, 2021, 10:00 am I think that these transport companies are not really serious about keeping employees anyway. They want to get rid of any old stock Canadians cuz they know that if they say they have offered jobs but can't get employees, they will be rescued by low wage TFW's. It's just a waiting game for them....dangle a carrot in front of a hungry rabbit and they might be able to use the driver for a few weeks or months until the new min wage help lands in Canada.
That's entirely possible.

IMO, though we'd be foolish to ignore the impacts of "social contract" costs that have been loaded onto the transport companies over the past decade or two - some of them very costly window dressing, some doing more harm than good.

The companies can't cut what the "social contract" items are costing them, so they cut where they still can. As profits are persistently eaten away by the increasing costs of these "social contract" items leaving less for wages, it seems to me there's little point putting all the blame on the companies.

If they pay all of the increasingly burdensome "social contract" costs AND the wages you and I feel is appropriate, the cost of everything we all buy must go up significantly. Are we prepared for that?
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

oldtrucker wrote: Oct 18th, 2021, 9:10 am ^^^ 2 days ago I was offered a night job to do 12-13hr Coq . Kelowna- Van- Kel. trips for $300 /day. Thats about $23/hr. Thats about 3$hr more than mcdonalds to drive a 45 ton semi, the danger and liability. What a joke. I was polite, thanked him and said I'll think about it .
Should politely say that it's not enough money to do so.

May be they'll get the message and up their rates.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

oldtrucker wrote: Oct 18th, 2021, 11:07 amOr am I being unreasonable?
Not at all, but I don't know much about the transportation industry. I thought maybe with more people saying "It's too low", they'll get the message. But hey, not my cow.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

MAPearce wrote: Oct 12th, 2021, 7:01 pm The work and money is out there and the "landlords" know it .
The Game. turn other people's money into your own !

Pretty much all facet's. Whatever chosen method. :smt045
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “North Okanagan”