Affordable Rental Units?

JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Affordable Rental Units?

Post by JLives »

It's because they have to my dude. There's plenty of stories on Facebook Moms groups about it. These are mostly employed people. Nobody chooses to live on the side of a road.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

JLives wrote: Oct 23rd, 2021, 10:51 pm It's because they have to my dude. There's plenty of stories on Facebook Moms groups about it. These are mostly employed people. Nobody chooses to live on the side of a road.
IMO it's hubris to assume everyone makes the same choices we do - or that everyone should - or that we know something about people from what we see while we're driving by.
Sadilkova said the regional district would work with social agencies to find placements for people who are genuinely unable to afford a place to live in the Thomson-Nicola region.

But, she said, most of the people she's found violating the rules do have the means to live elsewhere and are simply choosing not to.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5247484

Not everyone sees the world the same way. Some people own homes they rent out to people to give them a place to live while their renters help these homeowners pay for their investment, some prefer to own only the home they live in, some prefer to rent, some prefer to couch surf, some prefer to live less conventionally.

It's always interesting to see people certain they have an inside track on how we must "save" people from their own choices.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

JLives wrote: Oct 23rd, 2021, 10:51 pmThese are mostly employed people. Nobody chooses to live on the side of a road.
Nope. Plenty of people do.
I’m a gaming nerd that lives in a van. I never thought I’d find someone along the way that enjoys this odd lifestyle as much as I do but here we are. Life is so good.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vandwellers/co ... n_i_never/
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

rustled wrote: Oct 23rd, 2021, 11:00 pmmost of the people she's found violating the rules do have the means to live elsewhere and are simply choosing not to.
Oh, thank you.

DING DING DING
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Even Steven wrote: Oct 23rd, 2021, 11:15 pm
JLives wrote: Oct 23rd, 2021, 10:51 pmThese are mostly employed people. Nobody chooses to live on the side of a road.
Nope. Plenty of people do.
I’m a gaming nerd that lives in a van. I never thought I’d find someone along the way that enjoys this odd lifestyle as much as I do but here we are. Life is so good.

https://www.reddit.com/r/vandwellers/co ... n_i_never/
On the side of the road was the relevant part. Yes there's nice RVs available.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

JLives wrote: Oct 23rd, 2021, 11:58 pm On the side of the road was the relevant part. Yes there's nice RVs available.
At this point you're making assumptions that these people are not parked on a side of a road, and that's their van looks nice from outside. It's really irrelevant.

Do you have anything to say to this little factoid?

But, she said, most of the people she's found violating the rules do have the means to live elsewhere and are simply choosing not to.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Even Steven wrote: Oct 24th, 2021, 12:16 am
JLives wrote: Oct 23rd, 2021, 11:58 pm On the side of the road was the relevant part. Yes there's nice RVs available.
At this point you're making assumptions that these people are not parked on a side of a road, and that's their van looks nice from outside. It's really irrelevant.

Do you have anything to say to this little factoid?

Nope. I've seen them on different spots on the road repeatedly. Saw a $250k bus parked for 2 days a few months ago. Tons of actual camp sites in the neck of the woods where I live. But you're not allowed to live there.

People economically forced to live in RVs rightfully aren't considering any laws around it. These are working people and families who have run out of options.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

JLives wrote: Oct 24th, 2021, 12:25 am People economically forced to live in RVs rightfully aren't considering any laws around it. These are working people and families who have run out of options.
So, you've decided to ignore clear facts shown above in order to preserve your opinion from shuttering. Gotcha, carry on.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Even Steven wrote: Oct 24th, 2021, 12:31 am
JLives wrote: Oct 24th, 2021, 12:25 am People economically forced to live in RVs rightfully aren't considering any laws around it. These are working people and families who have run out of options.
So, you've decided to ignore clear facts shown above in order to preserve your opinion from shuttering. Gotcha, carry on.
I've read the experiences of those who are living it. I'm not the one ignoring relevant information here. And that article is from 2019 and more focused on the building of permanent structures.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

JLives wrote: Oct 24th, 2021, 12:38 am
Even Steven wrote: Oct 24th, 2021, 12:31 am

I've read the experiences of those who are living it. I'm not the one ignoring relevant information here. And that article is from 2019 and more focused on the building of permanent structures.
Yes, that article is from 2019. There's no reason to believe it isn't relevant today.

The fact is, some people find themselves forced to live unconventionally for a time, and some people - more than some here would prefer to believe - choose to live unconventionally. This has been true since forever. My own grandparents lived in a tent near Skaha Lake for a winter with their young children, while they gathered sufficient resources to build a small house. They had other options and made what was the best choice for them, just as other families were doing.

Assuming a majority of people who are living unconventionally have no options is just that - assuming. It seems to me one would expect those who are complaining about living unconventionally to be the loudest voices. Those living illegally in RVs by choice would be the quietest about what they're doing. It's no surprise to me that those tasked with addressing the issue found what they found.

Those of us who choose to make assumptions about the choices of those living unconventionally based on their own belief system and their own experiences and their own expectations seem intent on "saving" people from with the same missionary zeal of a crusader. When we ignore the parts of the truth that don't suit our narrative, we risk becoming arrogant and out-of-touch and take steps to try to force our own preferences on others. And it seems to me that when defending a victim narrative requires ignoring reality, it's pretty obvious the victim narrative isn't worth defending.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

Vacancyrate wrote: Oct 23rd, 2021, 2:27 pm
You're mistaken, but it's an easy mistake to make.

I have to ask why Vancouver wasn't "discovered" after EXPO 86? Kelowna was a well-known tourist destination since the 1960's. After the Coquihalla Connector was finished in 1990 things should have exploded. 10 years after the connector was finished you could buy a 4 bedroom house on a double lot, lake view for $160,000-$200,000 dollars in Kelowna/Westbank

While there was a huge insurance scam/building boom after the fire, the real guilty party to why housing has exploded was the financialization of Canadian real estate and almost 20 years of Quantitative Easing by central banks and 0% interest rates.

It's not like the weather suddenly got awesome and the Oceans and Mountains appeared in 2006-2010, or that the Okanagan valley was some hidden secret valley up until it got on the news for burning to the ground.
You're right the weather here didn't all of a sudden get awesome but at the time the Okanagan was only a well-known Vacation spot for BS residents and some Albertans. And while lots of people wanted to live in the Okanagan and enjoy the summers, there was hardly any decent-paying work here to make it financially possible for the middle class. I know we always looked forward to Summer Vacation in the Okanagan with trips to the Atlantis Water Slides, Okanagan Game Farm, The Flintstones water park, and Scandia being a routine.

The market crash in the early 80's and the overall lack of Jobs kept the Okanagan population low for a long time. Before 2000 it wasnt easy to find work here and you basically needed to know someone to get in.

That all changed when the OK Mountain Fire ripped through 240+ homes, paired with low interests rates, worldwide news coverage of the fire, and the low Canadian dollar vs the British Pound exchange rate which saw thousands of British people move to Canada and in particular, the Okanagan.

There is one more factor in the population boom here that isn't considered and that is the emergence of Social Media.
Prior to Social Media and the internet becoming mainstream, many people outside of Canada really thought we all lived in igloos, had polar bears roaming around everywhere, and that Canada was a frozen wasteland. I talk to Americans that are still shocked to learn we have 100 degree summers, hot sandy beaches, and hundreds of Wineries. Although the Igloo and Polar Bear myths seem to have gone away finally.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

Ok so North Bay Ontario is enjoying the same real estate gains as Kelowna. Hamilton is now more expensive than New York.

Are the beaches awesome in North Bay?

Is Hamilton the city that never sleeps?
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Vacancyrate wrote: Oct 25th, 2021, 9:51 am Ok so North Bay Ontario is enjoying the same real estate gains as Kelowna. Hamilton is now more expensive than New York.

Are the beaches awesome in North Bay?

Is Hamilton the city that never sleeps?
We have inflation now too. Everything is going to keep getting more expensive.
Vacancyrate
Banned

Post by Vacancyrate »

Sparki55 wrote: Oct 25th, 2021, 2:41 pm We have inflation now too. Everything is going to keep getting more expensive.
No I think you just need to stop whining and work harder ;)

This was occurring well before COVID and Bank of Canada money printing/inflation.

There is a massive, massive real estate bubble all across Canada. It's been happening for almost 20 years.

It's not "the weather" or "the beaches" or the fact that the internet was invented.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Vacancyrate wrote: Oct 25th, 2021, 2:55 pm There is a massive, massive real estate bubble all across Canada. It's been happening for almost 20 years.
Well, I hope it pops one day, I'll buy up alot more!

Best of luck waiting for it to end lol. 20 years and 50 more to go!

Return to “Central Okanagan”