Restaurants have complained about workers and cerb - while relying on government to pay workers that stayed

Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Restaurants have complained about workers and cerb - while relying on government to pay workers that stayed

Post by Catri »

Small business is an important part of our economy, but I also think perhaps we have too many restaurants. They are notoriously hard to make a success out of and I wonder how many of the ones being propped up by government dollars would not have thrived under normal circumstances anyway. I suspect there are some. Maybe a legacy of this pandemic is that there will be fewer restaurants...I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing, it means more business for the ones that survive, more business = more profit, more profit = ability to pay higher wages, higher wages = a happier, healthier workforce.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Restaurants have complained about workers and cerb - while relying on government to pay workers that stayed

Post by LANDM »

As is often said, the best way to end up with a million bucks in the Okanagan is to come with two or three million and open a restaurant.
Unfortunately, instead of being looked at as a business that requires shrewd operational skills and an in-depth knowledge of the business and food, it is one where people think that, because they enjoy food and have eaten in restaurants, they are equipped to own and operate one, profitably. It seldom happens that way.
You and 71 others Like this post
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Catri wrote: Oct 24th, 2021, 2:12 pm Small business is an important part of our economy, but I also think perhaps we have too many restaurants.
Don't know how much you go out but b4 the pandemic each time I went out from wed-sat night most places were stuffed full and thriving. It's the pandemic. Sure many restaurants don't make it but that's not an excuse for the government to turn the taps off during a pandemic that it's forcefully reducing revenue.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Now where did those workers get to, I wonder??

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#349545. (Bold is mine)

An internal government analysis on the Canada Recovery Benefit says the majority of recipients who received the federal help were continuous or repeat beneficiaries of the now-ended aid program.

The analysis from Employment and Social Development Canada found that by early June,1.5 million, or about 75 per cent of the 1.8 million unique recipients of the benefit, were continuous or repeat beneficiaries.

Among them were some 627,000 recipients who applied and received the benefit for months at a time, never once taking a break.

The Canadian Press obtained a copy of the briefing note to the top official at the department under access to information law.

Experts who reviewed the document suggest the analysis hints at the level of need for the income-support program, which came to an end over the weekend.

As of Oct. 10, the CRB had paid out just over $27 billion to nearly 2.2 million applicants since its launch in late Septe
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Catsumi wrote: Oct 24th, 2021, 5:35 pm Now where did those workers get to, I wonder??

An internal government analysis on the Canada Recovery Benefit says the majority of recipients who received the federal help were continuous or repeat beneficiaries of the now-ended aid program.

The analysis from Employment and Social Development Canada found that by early June,1.5 million, or about 75 per cent of the 1.8 million unique recipients of the benefit, were continuous or repeat beneficiaries.

Among them were some 627,000 recipients who applied and received the benefit for months at a time, never once taking a break.

The Canadian Press obtained a copy of the briefing note to the top official at the department under access to information law.

Experts who reviewed the document suggest the analysis hints at the level of need for the income-support program, which came to an end over the weekend.

As of Oct. 10, the CRB had paid out just over $27 billion to nearly 2.2 million applicants since its launch in late Septe
It was well worth the money. It eliminated the riff-raff contractors and scabs that filled the void after unions were busted. And ensured that places like McDonalds pay 17.50 plus and hour.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Sparki55 wrote: Oct 24th, 2021, 3:38 pm
Catri wrote: Oct 24th, 2021, 2:12 pm Small business is an important part of our economy, but I also think perhaps we have too many restaurants.
Don't know how much you go out but b4 the pandemic each time I went out from wed-sat night most places were stuffed full and thriving. It's the pandemic. Sure many restaurants don't make it but that's not an excuse for the government to turn the taps off during a pandemic that it's forcefully reducing revenue.
That the restaurants you frequented prior to the pandemic were busy makes sense, I have no doubt they were (or at least appeared to you to be) thriving. Thriving restaurants are usually busy restaurants. That doesn't mean that all, or even most, restaurants were thriving or will thrive after the pandemic. The industry is notorious for it's failure rate. In any event, my point stands, maybe we have too many restaurants, maybe the long term effects of the pandemic will be to thin the herd of restaurants, which won't happen when they're being propped up by government handouts.
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

Catri wrote: Oct 25th, 2021, 12:31 pm Thriving restaurants are usually busy restaurants. That doesn't mean that all, or even most, restaurants were thriving or will thrive after the pandemic. The industry is notorious for it's failure rate.
Agree.
Restaurant Success Rate:
What Percentage Of Restaurants Fail? Approximately 60% of restaurants fail within the first year of operation and 80% fail within the first five years. These numbers may seem off-putting, but the remaining 20% of restaurants go on to find long-term growth and success.
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Catri wrote: Oct 25th, 2021, 12:31 pm That the restaurants you frequented prior to the pandemic were busy makes sense, I have no doubt they were (or at least appeared to you to be) thriving. Thriving restaurants are usually busy restaurants. That doesn't mean that all, or even most, restaurants were thriving or will thrive after the pandemic. The industry is notorious for it's failure rate. In any event, my point stands, maybe we have too many restaurants, maybe the long term effects of the pandemic will be to thin the herd of restaurants, which won't happen when they're being propped up by government handouts.
You just admitted the government pandemic restrictions were the cause of their decline... Thanks.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Last edited by Ka-El on Oct 25th, 2021, 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Catsumi wrote: Oct 24th, 2021, 5:35 pm Now where did those workers get to, I wonder??

I love the interpretation that is hinted at here. Perhaps they could have interpreted it differently. There are a lot of people willing to sit on the dole instead of getting a job. At first it was supposed to be a couple months of assistance, now after over a year, people are still mooching. They stated it themselves, that people stayed on it for months at a time, never taking a break.

There are help wanted signs all over the place, but why bother when you can sit at home an play video games all day on the taxpayer's dime?

Instead of continuing CERB or whatever they are calling it this week, how about creating an incentive to go back to work? Maybe make a continuing education requirement to stay on the program? How about having to prove that you are actively looking for work? Maybe make recipients participate in employment counselling?
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

gardengirl wrote: Oct 25th, 2021, 3:15 pm

I love the interpretation that is hinted at here. Perhaps they could have interpreted it differently. There are a lot of people willing to sit on the dole instead of getting a job. At first it was supposed to be a couple months of assistance, now after over a year, people are still mooching. They stated it themselves, that people stayed on it for months at a time, never taking a break.

There are help wanted signs all over the place, but why bother when you can sit at home an play video games all day on the taxpayer's dime?
:up:
Been there, said that, and some still refuse to believe it.

As for this statement,
And who might these "experts" be?
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Bb49:wrote:
. And who might these "experts" be?
Everyone “needs” something or other that doesn't require an expert to point out. Those experts shall be nameless, hidden behind a wall of bafflegab; the grey men who are building the New World Order.

Expect that future prognostications from them will underline this “need” for ongoing handouts in perpetuity to ensure the able-bodied never have to work a day to earn, yes, EARN, their living. All sustenance will flow easily from the taxpayer wallet until they are tapped out …then what? Print more devalued dollars? Tax the working class even more than before?

Someday this circus wheel will grind to a halt under its own weight…backlash and disruption coming .

Those “experts” will still be hidden from us, behind smoke and mirrors.

We live in interesting times.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

Sparki55 wrote: Oct 25th, 2021, 2:29 pm
Catri wrote: Oct 25th, 2021, 12:31 pm That the restaurants you frequented prior to the pandemic were busy makes sense, I have no doubt they were (or at least appeared to you to be) thriving. Thriving restaurants are usually busy restaurants. That doesn't mean that all, or even most, restaurants were thriving or will thrive after the pandemic. The industry is notorious for it's failure rate. In any event, my point stands, maybe we have too many restaurants, maybe the long term effects of the pandemic will be to thin the herd of restaurants, which won't happen when they're being propped up by government handouts.
You just admitted the government pandemic restrictions were the cause of their decline... Thanks.
Don’t put words in my mouth. If that was your interpretation of what I said, you need to work on your reading comprehension.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Catri wrote: Oct 25th, 2021, 9:22 pm Don’t put words in my mouth. If that was your interpretation of what I said, you need to work on your reading comprehension.
There were more restaurants open before the pandemic and they have closed their doors more often since the restrictions.
Sales at eating and drinking establishments in Canada dropped 28% from the year before, Statistics Canada reported Thursday in Ottawa. That’s the largest drop in records dating back more than two decades and shows the extent to which large-scale closures and restrictions affected business activity.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljaze ... -on-record

I'm fact based and your opinion is based on your feelings towards restaurants.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Unless you wear horse-eye blinders, it’s pretty obvious why restaurants cannot compete with the deep pockets of governmental largesse (unwillingly, the taxpayer). Argue all you wish that wages just aren’t high enough to even consider working as a burger flipper for $17.50/hr) but keep in mind that CRB or whatever it is called this week, will end.

Unknown

Return to “Canada”