They fought for our freedom

GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: They fought for our freedom

Post by GordonH »

To ALL past and present who have served, thank you for service and sacrifice. :130:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Pitapants
Fledgling

Post by Pitapants »

thanks, it means a lot
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

So many of the old veterans died a lonely life.

This story...
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=89457&start=45
...got me thinking. It's the story below the one on Janis Joplin.

I grew up in Terrace so decide to look up Alonzo J. Brackett.
It seems he served in both World Wars and died a lonely man in the "Old Men's Home" in Terrace.
The "Old Men's Home was a set of old army barracks, not far from where I lived. It was full of old men and as my father told me They all suffered from Shell Shock. That was what they originally called PTSD and were all veterans of WW1 and WW2.

We would occasionally see these old men wandering past out house. One guy even dug a large trench system over a number of months in an empty lot.

Here is Alonzo J. Brackett's Registration of Death.
alonzo brackett death cert.jpg
What is so sad about it is "Marital Status": Unknown.
Possibly no family, no friends, no visitors.

That's how I recall many of these men, lonely, forgotten and crazy.

Let's hope our veterans today are treated better.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Remembrance Day, November 11 is coming up. That's the day flags are lowered to half-mast, especially at all government sites.
But flags at government offices are already at half-mast, so what happened November 11?

Last May Justin ordered all federal masts be lowered due to the findings of what are believed to be the remains of 215 children in unmarked graves at the site of a former residential school in Kamloops, B.C.

The decision about when to raise up flag lies with Trudeau and he says he plans to keep it lowered until Indigenous Peoples want to see Canada’s flag flying fully hoisted.

Well Justin, what's the verdict on Remembrance Day when half-masting the flag at the National War Memorial and other federal sites is done in memory of veterans and Canadian soldiers who died fighting for the country?
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

bb49 wrote: Oct 29th, 2021, 7:01 pm Remembrance Day, November 11 is coming up. That's the day flags are lowered to half-mast, especially at all government sites.
But flags at government offices are already at half-mast, so what happened November 11?

Last May Justin ordered all federal masts be lowered due to the findings of what are believed to be the remains of 215 children in unmarked graves at the site of a former residential school in Kamloops, B.C.

The decision about when to raise up flag lies with Trudeau and he says he plans to keep it lowered until Indigenous Peoples want to see Canada’s flag flying fully hoisted.

Well Justin, what's the verdict on Remembrance Day when half-masting the flag at the National War Memorial and other federal sites is done in memory of veterans and Canadian soldiers who died fighting for the country?
No end in sight yet bb49. .. Flag half down for 18 weeks now so the action has lost it’s true meaning. Been overdone.

From National Post:

Meanwhile, the flags on all federal government buildings across the river in Montreal and almost everywhere else in Canada remain at half-mast, as they have since May 30, and they will “until further notice,” according to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Canadian Heritage.

But Trudeau’s symbolic gesture without an end date is about to collide with a fixed date, Nov. 11 — better known as Remembrance Day —
and the rituals associated with it. Together with poppies, two minutes of silence, the laying of wreaths and the playing of the Last Post, lowering the national flag to half-mast at sunrise and keeping it there until sunset is an integral part of remembering.
Last edited by Catsumi on Oct 29th, 2021, 7:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

I find it surprising that a number of Provinces still don’t recognize Remembrance Day as a National holiday.

Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia & Newfoundland don’t.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Pitapants
Fledgling

Post by Pitapants »

GordonH wrote: Oct 29th, 2021, 7:33 pm I find it surprising that a number of Provinces still don’t recognize Remembrance Day as a National holiday.

Ontario, Quebec, Nova Scotia & Newfoundland don’t.
Newfoundland has a national day of mourning on July 1st
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

So who is calling the shots on these flags?

Justin? [icon_lol2.gif]

The natives? :cuss:

#StandUpToJewishHate
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Certainly isn’t the Veterans. :135:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Catsumi wrote: Oct 30th, 2021, 6:51 pm Certainly isn’t the Veterans. :135:
No. They matter very little to Trudeau. Canada and Canadians in general matter very little to him.

This is flat-out wrong.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

rustled wrote: Oct 30th, 2021, 7:21 pm
Catsumi wrote: Oct 30th, 2021, 6:51 pm Certainly isn’t the Veterans. :135:
No. They matter very little to Trudeau. Canada and Canadians in general matter very little to him.

This is flat-out wrong.
Only time he slightly gives a damn is election time.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

GordonH wrote: Oct 30th, 2021, 7:26 pm
rustled wrote: Oct 30th, 2021, 7:21 pm

This is flat-out wrong.
Only time he slightly gives a damn is election time.
Not then either, though, IMO. He's about "what can I say I care about so people will vote for me", not actually caring about it.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Anyone see my point that flag lowered for 18 weeks has seriously chipped away at the intent of lowering it in the first place?

Unknown
erinmore3775
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by erinmore3775 »

Ray Deer is president of the Royal Canadian Legion Branch 219 in Kahnawake Mohawk territory, and his Branch has raised the flag. He and his Branch believe that lowering the flag should not be a perpetual show. A point has been made. His Brach will lower the flag on November 11 to mark Rembrance Day.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/ca ... brance-day

The current maintenance of the lowered flag has lost its significance. Few remember why it is still lowered. However, most Canadians know and Rembrance why it is lowered on Remembrance Day. It is time to raise the flag.
We won’t fight homelessness, hunger, or poverty, but we can fight climate change. The juxtaposition of the now and the future, food for thought.

"You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give." - Winston Churchill
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Was thinking about this yesterday looking at as old of a guy the legion could find sitting bored at a table with poppies. He probably wasn't even in any of the wars. And as time goes on the "sacrifices" of a ww over 100 years ago and another ww that was over 85 years ago seems harder and harder to be interested in. There is a huge disconnect. All the wars we seem to fight these days are all losing ones that last way too long. Not even the soldiers fighting these days know what the hell we fight wars for today. The objective never seems to be a clear-cut victory. You even see this dilemma in shows like seal team. Sons fighting a war that their dads did. In the end, I wonder how long this sombre tradition from 100 plus years ago will last. And the reasons why. Our country can't even agree on anything anymore. Not even 2 vax shots. And what was the definition of freedom 100 years ago - or what being a "Canadian" actually is - is significantly different today.

Return to “Canada”