Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Remembrance Day - With Thanks

Post by Lady tehMa »

Remembrance Day

There is much posted about Halloween and Christmas

But what about Remembrance Day?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day

So, this is a place for stories about those who have served. Funny or inspiring, whatever you want to post.
I haven't failed until I quit.
seewood
Guru

Re: Remembrance Day - With Thanks

Post by seewood »

Immediate family never saw " action", however Dad did get a commission in the UK army in 1950 ( Capt.)

Dad's dad was a sergeant in the UK army in WW1 in an artillery regiment. Used horses to drag the guns around. When the grandparents visited Canada in the mid 60's Grandpa was complaining of a sore/stiff shoulder. Took him for x-rays and it was found he still had shrapnel in his shoulder. Scared over so the chunks stayed in there.

Mum's dad was in the British expeditionary force( as a REME ) that went to France in 1940. deGaulle surrendered so 350,000 +allied solders hi-tailed it back to Dunkirk and other smaller ports on the French coast. Went back in 44 and survived the war.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

My father was in the Canadian Army and saw action in WW1. Yes, that's not a typo, World War One.

He signed on to the 4th Canadian Division, 47th Battalion out of New Westminster.

One day while on leave in Paris, he and a buddy saw a couple of young women across the street and went over to check them out. Much to his surprise, one was his sister. She was with a nursing group that were working behind the front lines.

He was at Vimy Ridge, where his Battalion was held in reserve until the second day when they went over the top. He survived of course and but was not able to return home until September, 1919, bringing home with him a war bride, his first wife.
He was AWL twice.
The first time while on leave in England when the horrors of the front line got to him. Upon return he was thrown in military prison for several days.
The second time was when he got married a few months after the war's end. That time he was only docked a couple of weeks pay. Their pay was $15 a month.

And then there's my father's brother.
In 1916, at the age of 14, he enlisted in the Army, lying about his age by two years. He was accepted and after training he was put on a train for the east coast. His mother, who was separated, found out and they literally pulled him out of the line prior to boarding the ship for England. I have a copy of his attestation papers that show he was born in 1899. He was really born in 1901.
He did serve again in the Army in WW2 and came home as a Captain.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

My maternal great-grandpa died in the trenches in WW1. He was making sure all his men had their masks on during a mustard gas attack, and he went without to save a life. He was awarded the Military Cross posthumously.

My paternal grandpa served in WW2 but no one much talked about it, so I have no stories. He brought back some lovely cameos for grandma from Italy.

My Dad served in the Navy but never saw action. Left the service to marry mom and earn grey hairs with 3 daughters . . .
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My Dad served in the Canadian Navy during WW2. A couple of the ships he served on were sunk but he survived.
He was part of a PT boat flotilla stationed in Belgium. There was an explosion of ammunition that destroyed mus of it and killed many of his buddies. He was not there when it happened but never really got over it.

He never talked about it much. We took a picture of the memorial to the people who died in the explosion when we were there.
It brought tears to his eyes.

I served in the US Navy and made several trips across the Pacific to Vietnam. I guess I kind of followed my Fathers footsteps in a way.

One ship I served on was in a group involved in the largest landing operation since the Korean war. The Battleship USS New Jersey was there firing broadsides at the Viet Cong on shore. That was impressive to say the least. It pretty much leveled a mountain that was riddled with tunnels for them to hide in.

I have nothing but respect for all Veterans from any and all Wars.

R.I.P.

Yes that is me in the Avatar.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

My Daddy served but it was never discussed, he had a bunch of Medals but don't ask what they were, they were buried with him
Remembrance Day was treated with great respect - I have tried to never miss a ceremony.

BTW, to avoid losing your Poppy get a plastic earring back ( $ store has like 50 for 2 dollars) to hold it firmly in place.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

normaM wrote: Nov 4th, 2021, 5:52 am
BTW, to avoid losing your Poppy get a plastic earring back ( $ store has like 50 for 2 dollars) to hold it firmly in place.
They work great but you need a bloody magnifying glass to see them!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I ordered some blanks of those tie tack pins last year. I've been buying poppies, glueing the centre on the pin. Then just put the flower on the pin, put it on with the safety backing and Bob's yer uncle. :130: (because I always stab myself and lose the poppy after 2 days, even with the "put the pin through the edge of the flower" hack)

Leo Major.PNG
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

this is a good idea.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/lQZi5HnqP4w[/youtube]
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

001.jpg
185.jpg
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

^^^^ so true. Untold animals made the ultimate sacrificed as well.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bumped Up

This is sad to see a majority of voters not attending Remembrance Day. Hopefully the numbers turn around soon.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Poll/3950 ... -on-Nov-11
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

My mother lost her brother who was an officer on the HMCS OTTAWA (H60) when it was torpedoed off Newfoundland on September14, 1942.
I have copy of the telegram that his wife received regarding his loss.

Out of a crew of 183, there were 69 survivors.
114 crewmen from the OTTAWA and 16 survivors rescued from a convoy ship that had been sunk a few days earlier died.

The OTTAWA is listed here, an interesting site with a wealth of information.
https://uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/4363.html

Here's the crew just three months before the sinking. Most of these men died.
OTT0024.jpg
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I will be attending. :130:
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

I will be attending. :130:

#StandUpToJewishHate

Return to “Grab Bag”