They fought for our freedom

Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Re: They fought for our freedom

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Catsumi wrote: Oct 30th, 2021, 9:15 pm Anyone see my point that flag lowered for 18 weeks has seriously chipped away at the intent of lowering it in the first place?
Definitely.
I see these flags still at half-mast and I roll my eyes.
Justin still trying to score brownie points.
It's time for other businesses and the provincial government to grow a couple and put the flags up.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Oct 31st, 2021, 1:41 am Was thinking about this yesterday looking at as old of a guy the legion could find sitting bored at a table with poppies. He probably wasn't even in any of the wars. And as time goes on the "sacrifices" of a ww over 100 years ago and another ww that was over 85 years ago seems harder and harder to be interested in. There is a huge disconnect. All the wars we seem to fight these days are all losing ones that last way too long. Not even the soldiers fighting these days know what the hell we fight wars for today. The objective never seems to be a clear-cut victory. You even see this dilemma in shows like seal team. Sons fighting a war that their dads did. In the end, I wonder how long this sombre tradition from 100 plus years ago will last. And the reasons why. Our country can't even agree on anything anymore. Not even 2 vax shots. And what was the definition of freedom 100 years ago - or what being a "Canadian" actually is - is significantly different today.
^^^
If any one is guilty of ageism, it's this guy.
Bring up Boomers, or anyone with white hair, nothing but put-downs from him.

Yes, some people have lost the real meaning of Remembrance Day, if they ever had it.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

bb49 wrote: Oct 31st, 2021, 9:26 am
nucksRnum1 wrote: Oct 31st, 2021, 1:41 am Was thinking about this yesterday looking at as old of a guy the legion could find sitting bored at a table with poppies. He probably wasn't even in any of the wars. And as time goes on the "sacrifices" of a ww over 100 years ago and another ww that was over 85 years ago seems harder and harder to be interested in. There is a huge disconnect. All the wars we seem to fight these days are all losing ones that last way too long. Not even the soldiers fighting these days know what the hell we fight wars for today. The objective never seems to be a clear-cut victory. You even see this dilemma in shows like seal team. Sons fighting a war that their dads did. In the end, I wonder how long this sombre tradition from 100 plus years ago will last. And the reasons why. Our country can't even agree on anything anymore. Not even 2 vax shots. And what was the definition of freedom 100 years ago - or what being a "Canadian" actually is - is significantly different today.
^^^
If any one is guilty of ageism, it's this guy.
Bring up Boomers, or anyone with white hair, nothing but put-downs from him.

Yes, some people have lost the real meaning of Remembrance Day, if they ever had it.
For a generation that holds themselves up high - boomers sure have little man syndrome. It's either nothing to see here - or it wasn't our fault.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Erinmore posted what I consider a good idea; That the Canadian Legions, businesses and individuals just raise their flags to full height and then lower to half mast on Remembrance Day. If we wait for our spineless PM to give the order it may never happen.

There are a number of young, yappy, know-it-alls who denigrate long held institutions that bind us together, hoping for failure and to be forgotten. Yes, perhaps this next generation is in lockstep with the PM to trash traditional Canadian customs so it is incumbent upon us, the boomers, to remember the ultimate personal sacrifices made yesterday that allows the chihuahuas to squeak and yap today

Sad that a day of Remembrance has thoughtless and uneducated detractors yelping for attention directed to themselves.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
daria
Guru

Post by daria »

^LIKE.
Don't take my silence to mean I've agreed with you; I easily could've just lost interest in explaining how wrong you are.
History doesn't repeat itself, but it often rhymes.
"I figured out how to monetize SJWs." Jordan B. Peterson
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

bb49 wrote: Oct 31st, 2021, 9:23 am I see these flags still at half-mast and I roll my eyes.
Justin still trying to score brownie points.
It's time for other businesses and the provincial government to grow a couple and put the flags up.
bb49 wrote: Oct 31st, 2021, 9:26 am Yes, some people have lost the real meaning of Remembrance Day, if they ever had it.
Catsumi wrote: Oct 31st, 2021, 3:22 pm There are a number of young, yappy, know-it-alls who denigrate long held institutions that bind us together, hoping for failure and to be forgotten. Yes, perhaps this next generation is in lockstep with the PM to trash traditional Canadian customs so it is incumbent upon us, the boomers, to remember the ultimate personal sacrifices made yesterday that allows the chihuahuas to squeak and yap today

Sad that a day of Remembrance has thoughtless and uneducated detractors yelping for attention directed to themselves.
:up: :up: :up: :up: :130: :up:

Bring back the :cuss: LIKE button. If there is ever a thread that it is appropriate to let ones know you believe/agree in the post, this is it.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

glad to see we agree on something seaweed :up:
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

A buddy and I go out for lunch quite often on Sundays. There was a time a couple of years ago when we made time to show up in Kelowna at the cenotaph for the lost soldiers from our city and community before lunch. We didn't go to the event because there was a flag at half-mast. Or because there were geriatrics in wheelchairs with uniforms on and with their medals. Or because there were crosses on the lawn at the park.

It was simply to take part corporately with others in memory of the men who died. A long time ago. At that moment it was just simply about them. About their sacrifice. Not no misguided notions that they all died for not getting 2 jabs. Or died not to wear masks when asked to. This "appropriation" of these names on a monument and their sacrifice for current events is wrong. And in my opinion - not what these men were focused on as they took their last breath half a world away from home.

What is absurd is that there will be people at these events that will flout their resistance to health mandates. When the soldiers people will be reflecting on did what they could for - and what was best for - the man on their left and their right side. Too bad people have lost the plot.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/35 ... r-war-dead

What's with our weasel "leader"?
Does he not have the mental or physical (no balls) capability of making a decision, be it simple or difficult?

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he is confident that a "solution" can be reached to allow Canada to honour its war dead on Remembrance Day by lowering the flag to half-mast.

Does he have to ask permission of the natives in order to honour our veterans?

Trudeau has suggested it would be up to Indigenous people to determine when to hoist it again.

The guy is :cuss: pathetic.

#StandUpToJewishHate
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

To each and every person who died in all of our wars or conflicts I salute you. Right or wrong a life was taken and many families lost loved one's. They gave their lives so we can enjoy our way of life. With all the crap going on today, I wonder if it was worth it? :admin:
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

metallica wrote: Nov 3rd, 2021, 4:40 pm To each and every person who died in all of our wars or conflicts I salute you. Right or wrong a life was taken and many families lost loved one's. They gave their lives so we can enjoy our way of life. With all the crap going on today, I wonder if it was worth it? :admin:
It's not only the ones who died but all who fought and served!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
metallica
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by metallica »

Bsuds wrote: Nov 3rd, 2021, 5:26 pm It's not only the ones who died but all who fought and served!
Thankyou for adding that Bsuds a bad oversight on my part. :up: :up:
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

When I look at the trivial nature of discussions at times I think of my grandfather. Served in the trenches in WW1, got through the tragedies of the 1918 Flu pandemic, then the Great Depression, uprooting his family to Malaya (now Malaysia) to find work, then served in WW2 and was captured in the fall of Singapore and spent years in a Japanese POW camp (he came out at less than 100 lbs, and he was a 6 ft tall heavily built man). Then uprooted again and came to Canada.

We should remember such stories so that we can understand how good we have it, and how much these people gave in the spirit of cooperation to build what we enjoy.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

And then I read articles such as this and makes me ashamed/angry by the way our Veterans are mistreated.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#350827
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

just popping in wrote: Nov 5th, 2021, 3:55 pm And then I read articles such as this and makes me ashamed/angry by the way our Veterans are mistreated.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#350827
Yep, thank you for your service...now get the hell out and shut up. Absolutely shameful
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Canada”