Flags at half mast

Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Flags at half mast

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Beerhunter341 wrote: Nov 4th, 2021, 3:30 am Or raise them and keep them raised and lower them on Remembrance day and again on National Day for Truth and Reconciliation. Seems pointless to leave them at half mast as it devalues the meaning.
I agree.

Trudeau can get a photo op by lowering them just before NDT&R next year, and then jet off to catch some gnarly waves in Tofino. Someone will BS his itinerary for him so it appears he gives a rat's pahtoot about Indigenous people, I'm sure.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

When, exactly, did the Reform/Alliance Cons begin caring about the flag?

Never mind veterans?

All posts 100% moderator approved!
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Some of us don’t give a hang about our flag nor the concern for having it half staff for 19 weeks now. For the rest of us who do care and see this long drawn out situation as a chipping away at our values and traditions.

A few posters see this as Indigenous pushing for the flag droop where they are now being blamed for the 19 week flag lowering.

An indigenous woman wrote this column for the National Post a few days ago which I meant to post but posted another instead in error. Sorry.

Caps mine.

…snipped…

“Who asked for the flags to be lowered indefinitely? Indigenous leaders have asked for the flags to be lowered on the September 30th National Day for Truth and Reconciliation. Having them lowered on this day makes sense. HAVING THEM LOWERED YEAR ROUND! DOES NOT.

A lowered flag anywhere in the world, signals distress. Canada may be in distress but the blame is not on Indigenous people. What we are seeing is backlash directed to us because of a decision that we may not have been involved in.

Perhaps this is what the current government wants. For Canadians to become unsympathetic towards Indigenous people when it comes to issues like residential schools, water, housing and compensation for our children, expressing the sentiment: “We have lowered the flag for you, so why are you now asking for basic human rights?”

To me a lowered flag is mocking Canadians. (….) If reconciliation is what this government wants, let’s get to work. Canada should not be using a national symbol to prove their effort.
Canadians should also be part of the debate of when to raise or lower flags (…) we should all have a voice in this matter. This decision should NOT be solely on the Prime Minister.

…snipped…

Since May 30, what have lowered flags done for residential school survivors? Have we made leaps and bounds when it comes to reconciliation? If this gesture did not change anything, why keep them lowered?
We do not need to use symbolism to prove anything. I think we can all agree to raise our flags again, for our veterans, Indigenous people and for our country.
National Post.”
…………………..

It’s interesting to me to see that this opinion piece was altered (by Nat. Post or the author?]. from its original publication. Previously she mentioned that the gravesites are an unknown for who or what is buried in those sites. Maybe not Indigenous after all. She said that until exhumations are done and investigated thoroughly, the remains may be of children, adults, animals, a mix or anything else. We just don’t know what is there.

Also, trivia here, but half mast refers to flags on ships. Half staff applies to buildings/structures.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

crookedmember wrote: Nov 4th, 2021, 7:50 pm When, exactly, did the Reform/Alliance Cons begin caring about the flag?

Never mind veterans?

Oh Look !! Harper !!
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

Catsumi wrote: Nov 4th, 2021, 8:23 pm Some of us don’t give a hang about our flag nor the concern for having it half staff for 19 weeks now. For the rest of us who do care and see this long drawn out situation as a chipping away at our values and traditions.

A few posters see this as Indigenous pushing for the flag droop where they are now being blamed for the 19 week flag lowering.

An indigenous woman wrote this column for the National Post a few days ago which I meant to post but posted another instead in error. Sorry.

Caps mine.

…snipped…

“Who asked for the flags to be lowered indefinitely? Indigenous leaders have asked for the flags to be lowered on the September 30th National Day for Truth and Reconciliation. Having them lowered on this day makes sense. HAVING THEM LOWERED YEAR ROUND! DOES NOT.

A lowered flag anywhere in the world, signals distress. Canada may be in distress but the blame is not on Indigenous people. What we are seeing is backlash directed to us because of a decision that we may not have been involved in.

Perhaps this is what the current government wants. For Canadians to become unsympathetic towards Indigenous people when it comes to issues like residential schools, water, housing and compensation for our children, expressing the sentiment: “We have lowered the flag for you, so why are you now asking for basic human rights?”

To me a lowered flag is mocking Canadians. (….) If reconciliation is what this government wants, let’s get to work. Canada should not be using a national symbol to prove their effort.
Canadians should also be part of the debate of when to raise or lower flags (…) we should all have a voice in this matter. This decision should NOT be solely on the Prime Minister.

…snipped…

Since May 30, what have lowered flags done for residential school survivors? Have we made leaps and bounds when it comes to reconciliation? If this gesture did not change anything, why keep them lowered?
We do not need to use symbolism to prove anything. I think we can all agree to raise our flags again, for our veterans, Indigenous people and for our country.
National Post.”
…………………..

It’s interesting to me to see that this opinion piece was altered (by Nat. Post or the author?]. from its original publication. Previously she mentioned that the gravesites are an unknown for who or what is buried in those sites. Maybe not Indigenous after all. She said that until exhumations are done and investigated thoroughly, the remains may be of children, adults, animals, a mix or anything else. We just don’t know what is there.

Also, trivia here, but half mast refers to flags on ships. Half staff applies to buildings/structures.
Just another JT virtue signal, nice gesture for a day but he's done jack about reconciliation since, nor will he. he is very much his father's son.
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Talk is damn cheap trudeau... put up or just shut the :swear: up on reconciliation (yes, justin is his father son... jack :swear: )

As for Flag being at half mast it should have been that way for couple of days max. It’s only supposed to be a gesture.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

Flags are going back up. I was going to suggest that they lower them to half half mast for Remembrance Day but they would be dragging in the dirt which is very offensive. It's about time at any rate.
Pitapants
Fledgling

Post by Pitapants »

bob vernon wrote: Nov 3rd, 2021, 10:35 pm So if we raise the flags and then lower them we will be allowing the indigenous to play the victim card. If we just leave them lowered, we will allow the veterans to play the victim card. So maybe we should raise the flags really quickly, and maybe do it overnight when few people are looking, and then lower them in the morning. Or just say that we raised them and leave them lowered.

See? Anything will allow some people to play the victim card, and it looks ridiculous.
"Veterans play the victim card"? Sucks they got killed and injured and now want stuff,
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Canada’s shame here for all to see

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#350827

Our spineless “dear leader” cannot and will not address this glaring issue but has plenty of time and funds (taxpayer dollars} to throw at every global beggar that comes calling.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

Pitapants wrote: Nov 5th, 2021, 6:41 pm

"Veterans play the victim card"? Sucks they got killed and injured and now want stuff,
I know, right?

I was frankly shocked and appalled when Harper/O'Toole slashed the veterans budget, shuttered veterans offices and made veterans wait in long lines for their health care.

Thank God Trudeau reversed that abuse.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

^^^ you are kidding about trudeau doing anything for Veterans.

Politicians only give lip service towards Veterans... then turn around and cut services.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

crookedmember wrote: Nov 5th, 2021, 7:15 pm
Pitapants wrote: Nov 5th, 2021, 6:41 pm

I know, right?

I was frankly shocked and appalled when Harper/O'Toole slashed the veterans budget, shuttered veterans offices and made veterans wait in long lines for their health care.

Thank God Trudeau reversed that abuse.
I know hey? Peeps that aren't JT haters know where the blame lies, not the guy that's gotta fix the mess......
Frustrated by years of cutbacks and lack of support for returning soldiers, Canada's veterans are taking their battle to the political arena. They are calling on Canadians to support veterans by voting against Stephen Harper's Conservative government on Oct 19, 2015.

"This is our time to put the terrible treatment of Canada's heroes on the political landscape," said veteran Tom Beaver. "We want every Canadian to know the suffering injured veterans have experienced under Stephen Harper. Our voices must be heard."

The veterans are rallying under the banner of Anyone But Conservatives — Canadian Veterans Campaign 2015. This campaign will also feature social media, a web page, billboards and attendance at public meetings to raise veterans' issues. In the past week the campaign reached two million Canadians on Facebook.

- Legislated away the right for injured veterans to receive a lifetime pension, substituting a lump sum payment. This leaves many injured veterans in poverty, many with few job prospects;

- Saved $3.9 million by closing nine Veteran Affairs offices while having the gall to spend $4.5 million for Hockey Night in Canada TV ads to tell Canadians how great a job they are doing to help veterans;

- Cut the veterans affairs workforce by more than 20 per cent (900 jobs) and clawed back $1.13 billion in unspent funds since 2006.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/v ... 32281.html

Here's more......

‘You Have Forgotten’: Seven Conservative Attacks on Canada’s Veterans

https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2015/08/19/C ... -Veterans/
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote: Nov 5th, 2021, 7:22 pm ^^^ you are kidding about trudeau doing anything for Veterans.

Politicians only give lip service towards Veterans... then turn around and cut services.
I guess I didn’t make myself clear enough, both elected federal government Party’s (meaning Conservatives & Liberals governments)

Read the underlined part above.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

GordonH wrote: Nov 5th, 2021, 7:36 pm
GordonH wrote: Nov 5th, 2021, 7:22 pm ^^^ you are kidding about trudeau doing anything for Veterans.

I guess I didn’t make myself clear enough, both elected federal government Party’s (meaning Conservatives & Liberals governments)

Read the underlined part above.
Liberals haven't been perfect but light years ahead of the Cons......
The government, meanwhile, says it has increased annual funding for veterans by more than a billion dollars a year since 2016, providing roughly $4.4 billion directly to veterans and their families last year.

“Ensuring veterans and their families get the support they need is our number one priority. With respect to benefits, every single eligible veteran who comes forward will get the benefits they need,” said Alex Wellstead, a spokesperson for Veterans Affairs Minister Lawrence MacAulay.

Regarding lapsed funding, Wellstead said budgets are based on estimates. VAC also says that any money returned to the government’s general fund is available for services in the following year.

Wellstead also said that current backlogs for accessing veterans’ services are “unacceptable.”

He added that the government is processing more applications than ever before, going from 29,000 in 2015 to 54,000 in 2019.
https://globalnews.ca/news/6489101/libe ... -veterans/

They're at least not closing shop and taking funding away.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

They are all just hallow meaningless gestures nowadays to make the self-righteous feel better and like they're doing something that matters.
It's the soldiers we should be honouring. But the way we should do that is never make them pay for their medication again and if anybody deserves a payout it's whoever is remaining that fought in the wars. They should be getting a lump sum of money to tide them over for the rest of their life so they never have to worry about finances again in their golden years after fighting for the country
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.

Return to “Canada”