Calls for AirCan resignation

my5cents
Guru

Calls for AirCan resignation

Post by my5cents »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Business/ ... esignation

Let me get this straight. Canadian politicians are now calling for Air Canada CEO Michael Rousseau's resignation because of comments he made about not speaking French when A/C's head office is in the province of Quebec.

So it didn't warrant the calling for his resignation when A/C illegally (IMO) withheld refunds of air fares for non-existent flights for countless customers, but now that he's insulted the "sovereign nation" of Quebec's French language, things are now serious.

"The New Democratic Party called for Rousseau's resignation. NDP deputy leader Alexandre Boulerice, the party's lone MP in Quebec, says Rousseau was "spitting in the face of Quebecers and all members of French-speaking communities across the country."

He says Rousseau should be ashamed for boasting that his mother and wife speak French while never learning the language.

Boulerice notes that Canada's largest airline, based in Montreal, is subject to an average of 80 complaints annually to the Office of the Commissioner of Official Languages.

Rousseau ignited a firestorm after he gave a speech Wednesday almost entirely in English and then told reporters he didn't have time to learn French.

A spokesperson for the commissioner of official languages says more than 200 complaints about Air Canada were filed by Thursday evening."

So how many complaints did the government receive about unrefunded fares for A/C cancelled flights ? What did we hear from the Government about Rousseau's resignation <crickets>.

As I understand it, A/C didn't start refunding fare until the government said it would withhold bailout payments to A/C. In other words Canadians paid themselves back for the withheld fares.
Last edited by my5cents on Nov 9th, 2021, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Calls for AirCan resignation

Post by Bsuds »

Makes as much sense to me as Quebec being a Sovereign Nation.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Welcome to the age of moral outrage.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Quebec is hardcore about the Francais
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Move head office. What a bunch of idiotic whiners. Tabernac
I am not wealthy but I am rich
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

now our unqualified idiot of a Deputy PM is weighing in as well as our dim-witted PM:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/topstor ... d=msedgntp

Hey Liberal people, Air Canada is a public company now. Forcing people to learn French isn't in your moronic mandate. What disgusting virtue-signaling. Just the dumbest.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Quebecers are weird, even the French don't like them. There was a couple who filed a lawsuit against AC some years back because they flight attendant didn't offer 7up in French. Same couple filed 7 other complaints during the previous year.

Read this story yesterday, mon dieu, such a travesty [icon_lol2.gif]
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

If they call for the resignation of the CEO's that are not bilingual for federally regulated industries in Canada, there will be a blood bath on Bay Street.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

OKkayak wrote: Nov 8th, 2021, 12:51 pm Quebecers are weird, even the French don't like them. There was a couple who filed a lawsuit against AC some years back because they flight attendant didn't offer 7up in French. Same couple filed 7 other complaints during the previous year.

Read this story yesterday, mon dieu, such a travesty [icon_lol2.gif]
I was discussing Air Canada vs Westjet with a Quebecer one time, in a conversation we were having in English, and she told me that she only flew Air Canada, because Westjet (at that time) didn't speak much if any French. I said "so if they don't speak French you don't know how to do up your seat belt or ask for a pack of pretzels"? She was kind of lost after that.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Nov 8th, 2021, 1:13 pm
I was discussing Air Canada vs Westjet with a Quebecer one time, in a conversation we were having in English, and she told me that she only flew Air Canada, because Westjet (at that time) didn't speak much if any French. I said "so if they don't speak French you don't know how to do up your seat belt or ask for a pack of pretzels"? She was kind of lost after that.
AC is legally mandated to be a fully bilingual airline where as WS is not. Safety announcements on both airlines must be done in English and French, however, AC is the only airline that is legally required to be able to provide service in both English and French.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

OKkayak wrote: Nov 8th, 2021, 1:39 pm
The Green Barbarian wrote: Nov 8th, 2021, 1:13 pm
AC is legally mandated to be a fully bilingual airline where as WS is not. Safety announcements on both airlines must be done in English and French, however, AC is the only airline that is legally required to be able to provide service in both English and French.
I've found AC and Westjet to be only in English flying in BC.
No sign of French from the AC crew when we flew Kamloops to YVR last fall.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

bb49 wrote: Nov 8th, 2021, 3:28 pm
I've found AC and Westjet to be only in English flying in BC.
No sign of French from the AC crew when we flew Kamloops to YVR last fall.
AC by law, has to have at least one crew member on board that speaks french. YKA to YVR is operated by AC Express which is operated by Jazz, not AC directly, so the same mandate doesn't apply to them. If the flight was operated by AC themselves, then one crew member would have to be able to speak french - which doesn't mean that they have to ask you if you want coffee or tea in both languages, but at least one crew member has to be on board that can offer it to you in French if you request it.

However, as I said before, that only applies to service requirements. In regards to safety announcements, then the announcement has to be made in English and French, however the announcement can be pre-recorded.
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

*YURCH*

If Michael Rousseau can find the time, i know a real nice french teacher that can help him out - online.
Just sayin'

Was it Harper who made that speech at the olympics in Vancouver - in both french and english ... but that still wasnt good enough for the perpetually b*tt-hurt Quebecois. They wanted MORE french.

Well Corn Flakes are sold in english and french all the way to the west coast of Vancouver Island - Is it ever enough !?

... dang-it, now im craving some Flocons-de-mais and we're all out :swear:
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

sobrohusfat wrote: Nov 8th, 2021, 5:28 pm *YURCH*

If Michael Rousseau can find the time, i know a real nice french teacher that can help him out - online.
Just sayin'

Was it Harper who made that speech at the olympics in Vancouver - in both french and english ... but that still wasnt good enough for the perpetually b*tt-hurt Quebecois. They wanted MORE french.

Well Corn Flakes are sold in english and french all the way to the west coast of Vancouver Island - Is it ever enough !?

... dang-it, now im craving some Flocons-de-mais and we're all out :swear:
:up: :up: :up:
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

I really enjoy flying Alaska, didn’t have to listen to the French safety procedures.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.

Return to “Canada”