Calls for AirCan resignation

OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Calls for AirCan resignation

Post by OKkayak »

Hurtlander wrote: Nov 8th, 2021, 8:27 pm I really enjoy flying Alaska, didn’t have to listen to the French safety procedures.
Alaska is great - use them quite frequently in the US. When we lived in the OK and flew them out of YLW, they always had a complimentary beer or wine that changed every month to promote local breweries/wineries in the Pacific Northwest.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

OKkayak wrote: Nov 8th, 2021, 8:54 pm
Hurtlander wrote: Nov 8th, 2021, 8:27 pm I really enjoy flying Alaska, didn’t have to listen to the French safety procedures.
Alaska is great - use them quite frequently in the US. When we lived in the OK and flew them out of YLW, they always had a complimentary beer or wine that changed every month to promote local breweries/wineries in the Pacific Northwest.
Interesting. We have flown with them many times and never were offered a complimentary drink of any kind.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

Mary Simon our new Governor General does not speak French.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

featfan wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 8:15 am Mary Simon our new Governor General does not speak French.
Exactly, yet even our deputy PM Freeland is also calling for the resignation of the CEO of Air Canada.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Those calling for the CEO of Air Canada to resign because he did not speak french are really a bunch of bed wetter's.

Come on, let the whiners know there are more important items to discus and find solutions for.
Quebec should be happy they have Air Canada's head office in their province, regardless how many speak french. The income taxes they receive could just pack up and move to a more Anglo tolerant jurisdiction. Not easy, but doable, corporations have done it before.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

That's what makes travelling and shopping in the U.S. such a joy............I don't have to see or read that DISGUSTING FRENCH MONEY-PIT of a language on any item for sale in any store.........its such a joy not having to spin cans around!

Michael Rousseau should send the letter back to that brain-dead Freeland and tell her to go :cuss: herself!
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Bsuds wrote: Nov 9th, 2021, 6:34 am
Interesting. We have flown with them many times and never were offered a complimentary drink of any kind.
I believe its only offered on their Horizon operated flights.

Not to get too far off topic, but I find that Delta has really brought up their game in recent years, easily our number 2 pick in the US now.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

I would like Chrystia Freeland to get a brain-scan as it appears no actual brain-wave activity would be recorded...
Sabrina Maddeaux: Freeland's appalling demand that Air Canada CEO improve French is typical Liberal overreach

The so-called controversy over Air Canada’s CEO not knowing French despite residing in Montreal for 14 years continues to escalate in its absurdity. Last week, CEO Michael Rousseau admitted he couldn’t speak the language in front of reporters, leading to a spiral of outrage and political pandering that apparently has no end in sight.

Politicians on both sides of the aisle were quick to use the occasion to show just how sensitive they are to Quebec’s easily-hurt feelings. Jagmeet Singh and the NDP ludicrously called for Rousseau’s resignation with quite the rhetorical flourish. “Mr. Rousseau is spitting in the face of Quebecers and all members of French-speaking communities across the country,” said NDP Deputy Leader Alexandre Boulerice in an official statement.

Meanwhile, Conservative leader Erin O’Toole tweeted — only in French — that “A person who occupies such a managerial position at Air Canada should ensure that they are fluently bilingual.”

Now, the latest: Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland wrote a letter to Air Canada’s chairman saying that Rousseau should not only significantly improve his French, but that doing so “should be incorporated as one of his key performance goals.” She also said that knowledge of the French language should become an important criterion for securing promotions within the company.

This sort of stunt isn’t surprising coming from a Liberal party that’s made one-upping opponents with shows of moral superiority its raison d’être, but it is concerning as a wanton display of government overreach. Air Canada, even with the Canadian government’s minor six per cent equity stake in the airline, is a private company. This means that, unless it’s engaged in grievous criminal activity or acts that endanger the public, the government has just about zero business meddling in its internal affairs.

SNIP

Political leaders gave in to the province’s constant outcries throughout the election period and show no signs of taking off their kid gloves now that the votes are in. Their constant pursuit of approval ratings and votes from a minority of Canadians risks sowing further divisions and resentments just as national unity becomes vital to tackle issues from pandemic recovery to climate change.

As for Air Canada, it looks to be caving to this non-scandal, making a public show of hiring Rousseau a private French tutor . Hopefully this means we can now collectively move on, and political leaders like Freeland can get back to doing their jobs tackling the big issues that actually threaten Canadians.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/sa ... d=msedgntp
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

But apparently it's just fine that Mary Simon, appointed my our PM doesn't speak French.

Where were all these outspoken and vocal critics then?

In the meantime, Politicians should stay the *bleep* out of the affairs of private companies.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
wascobi
Fledgling

Post by wascobi »

best word I can use to describe freehand is vacuous.
the international language of aviation is English. enough said.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

bb49 wrote: Nov 10th, 2021, 7:22 pm In the meantime, Politicians should stay the *bleep* out of the affairs of private companies.
I agree and they shouldn't get this either.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/air-can ... -1.5384479
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

wascobi wrote: Nov 11th, 2021, 10:07 am best word I can use to describe freehand is vacuous.
the international language of aviation is English. enough said.
I met some Japanese businessmen one time who tried to do business with Air TransAT, which is based in Quebec. Even though the executives at TransAT spoke English, and the Japanese businessmen spoke English, the idiots at Air TransAT insisted on speaking french, which required interpreters to be brought into their business meetings, causing no end of confusion etc. The Japanese found this very confusing and also insulting, and just a really really bad way to do business. Needless to say, they didn't get a deal done, mostly because of the French Canadian executives being such arrogant d-bags.

There's a simple way to go about this - stop pandering to these fools. Freeland et al can stick it.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

Oh screw me hard.
The CEO of SNC Lavalin does not speak french.
He just cancelled a speech to Quebec small businesses when asked if it would be in French.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

featfan wrote: Nov 12th, 2021, 9:30 am Oh screw me hard.
The CEO of SNC Lavalin does not speak french.
He just cancelled a speech to Quebec small businesses when asked if it would be in French.
I saw that. Is speaking French now a "woke" thing? Why all the pandering to these stupid fools?

Return to “Canada”