Portable air conditioners

Business and professional recommendations.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Portable air conditioners

Post by flamingfingers »

I want to cool a 400 sq ft living room in my apartment and would like to know from experienced people what make and model they have found satisfactory, more than satisfactory or the unmitigated disasters.
I need to vent outside through patio sliders so units that include a slider vent kit would be helpful, but this is not a deal-breaker!
Yeah, I know it is winter now but I like to be prepared well in advance.
Thanks.
Chill
spooker

Re: Portable air conditioners

Post by spooker »

I picked up the LG LP1419IVSM from Home Depot ... 14,000 BTU portable unit that hooks up to Wifi ...

It worked nicely this summer, would recommend it ... made the upgrade from a window shaker to this

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/lg-ele ... 1001221502
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

I have a Danby floor model that vents out a slider or window. I believe it’s 12000 BTU. Works very well but is loud. Got it from Costco.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Thanks for your responses. Most helpful!
Chill
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

10-12,000 BTU should be enough to cool an area that size. I found that they pretty much all seemed to come with the window installation kit that works on both vertical and horizontal openings.

I bought an LG from HD early on this past summer just to cool our bedroom. We have central air but the heat pump is at the far end of our condo and neither the cool nor the heat makes it that far. It saved my life. Efficient and relatively quiet. They all make noise so be prepared for that.

While HD Westside was out of them after we bought ours (June I think), they seemed to have received a batch recently. They had a bunch on the floor a couple weeks ago.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^^Thanks. Yes, I figure that 10,000 to 12,000 BTU will work here and I can cope with some noise (clanking,, grinding excepted). Last June was pure torture even so I made myself an icebox cooler (humidity and constant replenishing the ice were problems).

I may also get a 5,000 BTU windowshaker for my bedroom but it is of lesser urgency and I can always sleep on my couch if necessary.
Chill
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Best purchase we ever made was central A/C for the house.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Bsuds wrote: Nov 12th, 2021, 2:14 pm Best purchase we ever made was central A/C for the house.
Buy me a house and I will seriously consider it!!!!!
Chill
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

flamingfingers wrote: Nov 12th, 2021, 2:32 pm
Bsuds wrote: Nov 12th, 2021, 2:14 pm Best purchase we ever made was central A/C for the house.
Buy me a house and I will seriously consider it!!!!!
If I win 40-50 mil I'll consider it.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^^I wish you Very Good Luck!!
:130:
Chill
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

flamingfingers wrote: Nov 12th, 2021, 2:09 pm ^^^Thanks. Yes, I figure that 10,000 to 12,000 BTU will work here and I can cope with some noise (clanking,, grinding excepted). Last June was pure torture even so I made myself an icebox cooler (humidity and constant replenishing the ice were problems).

I may also get a 5,000 BTU windowshaker for my bedroom but it is of lesser urgency and I can always sleep on my couch if necessary.
Is your room facing South ? Mine faces SW and gets the full brunt of the sun starting at noon. I have found that a piece of 2" thick Styrofoam cut and fitted to the window frame helps a great deal. Even if you cover the window opening, you can still cut an opening in it to exhaust your portable cooler through. (Just use "TUCK" tape to hold the pipe in place. NOT DUCT tape).
I just used some small wooden wedges to hold it in place and make for easy install and removal at the end of the season.
Plane white Styrofoam gives R-5 per 1" of thickness. I have a place that will cut you what you want. Contact me via PM if you want more info.
Oh yeah, this year, I am going to add "black out" material to the window side as the late evening light still comes through the foam and my fabric, vertical blinds. I have lots of black out material if you want some. You will need to buy a can of spray on adessive that is safe for Styrofoam ... about $12.
Last edited by alanjh595 on Nov 13th, 2021, 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

flamingfingers wrote: Nov 12th, 2021, 6:04 pm ^^I wish you Very Good Luck!!
:130:
There's still hope, I won a free play.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

The styrofoam is a good idea, alanjh, but I can't use it for a couple of reasons - one being that it cools down here at night to a bearable low 20s so I need to be able to easily open the sliders to take advantage of cool and fresh air. My sliders and side panels are double sealed units that are very efficient and I have a pull-down Mylar shade that runs the width of my balcony so the sun's rays don't reach the SGD. My balcony faces due West so the mornings up to about 11 o'clock are tolerable. From then to roughly 10 at night it is the precursor to hell.
I appreciate your suggestions - thanks!
Chill
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Has anyone used a dual-duct portable A/C? Distinct advantages over single-duct?
Chill
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I know a few people who have the portable A/C units and swear by them, plus extra bonus is that you can move it room to room
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second

Return to “Referrals”