Suing over solitary in jails

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
AtlantisKelowna
Board Meister

Suing over solitary in jails

Post by AtlantisKelowna »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/34 ... ons#348468

What is wrong with our society?

Let's make jail more comfortable for violent people. Solitary isn't a prize you win, you earn that :cuss:

Why are they not fighting for the victims instead? So worried about some degenerates well being when the victim is dead, traumatized, or permanently injured.
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Re: Suing over solitary in jails

Post by AlienSoldier »

AtlantisKelowna wrote: Oct 13th, 2021, 12:46 pm https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/34 ... ons#348468

Let's make jail more comfortable for violent people. Solitary isn't a prize you win, you earn that :cuss:

Why are they not fighting for the victims instead? So worried about some degenerates well being when the victim is dead, traumatized, or permanently injured.
Cause they leave jail bigger, stronger, crazier. It's like spider man goes in, and batman comes out. It's time for them to go crazier because thats what solitary does, and work out so now they are faster as well.

Oh and tax dollars pay for everything, the guards, the jail, the uniforms, food, etc.

It's also because we aren't a communist country and believes human life does not have value.
AtlantisKelowna
Board Meister

Post by AtlantisKelowna »

AlienSoldier wrote: Oct 13th, 2021, 1:20 pm
AtlantisKelowna wrote: Oct 13th, 2021, 12:46 pm https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/34 ... ons#348468

Cause they leave jail bigger, stronger, crazier. It's like spider man goes in, and batman comes out. It's time for them to go crazier because thats what solitary does, and work out so now they are faster as well.

Oh and tax dollars pay for everything, the guards, the jail, the uniforms, food, etc.

It's also because we aren't a communist country and believes human life does not have value.
Well let's get one thing straight, Batman isn't a superhero...he's just a rich trust fund baby with expensive toys. If you would have reversed the roles it might have made sense.

What about the crazy their crimes have placed on the victims? if human life was so valuable the focus would be on the victim, not the criminal.

If you've earned yourself solitary, you have no real value in society.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

AlienSoldier wrote: Oct 13th, 2021, 1:20 pm It's also because we aren't a communist country and believes human life does not have value.
It is almost like that is what puts "us" apart from the criminals, a moral and ethical standing.
hail Satan y'all
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

It's too bad the B.C. Civil Liberties Association didn't care as much for the victims of crime as they do for those that victimize us.
Well one solution is to put everyone in open custody and let the strongest survive.
Other than that, can't handle the time, don't do the crime.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

AtlantisKelowna wrote: Oct 13th, 2021, 1:41 pmIf you've earned yourself solitary, you have no real value in society.
Totally off the point. The debate over solitary confinement is over, rules have been issued as to what constitutes excessive confinement and prisons are expected to follow those rules. If they're not then they need to shape up.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

fluffy wrote: Oct 13th, 2021, 2:46 pm Totally off the point. The debate over solitary confinement is over, rules have been issued as to what constitutes excessive confinement and prisons are expected to follow those rules. If they're not then they need to shape up.
No debate is ever over, new evidence, research, and connections can be exposed.

We're not talking about people who commit fraud, mirror offenses, etc. The prisoners who get this treatment are the ones who tortured other people, killed them, raped them. At that point, people need to think hard about excessive confinement laws because going lightly on people who tortured others isn't right. I'm not saying an eye for an eye but a severe punishment.

Can't wait for the new "studies" that will come in the future. Bet one of them will be on how cruel it is to imprison people and that we should just have counseling for all offenders and no jail.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

As so often happens we are only getting a part of the story. We're not talking about rapists and murderers. In our province facilities for the mentally ill have been closed and cuts to services have left many struggling on the streets, often abusing drugs as well. They get arrested for relatively minor offences like theft and mischief and after enough time going back in front of a Judge end up incarcerated. We have overcrowded and underfunded Correctional Centres with staff who are not equipped to effectively deal with the mentally ill and putting these people in solitary was the simple way to manage them. Now the government is being sued in a class action law suit. Didn't see that coming.
whatwhat
Lord of the Board

Post by whatwhat »

Sparki55 wrote: Oct 13th, 2021, 3:06 pm We're not talking about people who commit fraud, mirror offenses, etc. The prisoners who get this treatment are the ones who tortured other people, killed them, raped them. At that point, people need to think hard about excessive confinement laws because going lightly on people who tortured others isn't right. I'm not saying an eye for an eye but a severe punishment.
This isn't entirely true. People get put into solitary confinement for a few reasons: a risk to others, others are a risk to you or you are being difficult.
Many people assume that solitary confinement is used only for serious and violent behavior, but violence is typically not the most common reason that people are sent there. The Vera Institute of Justice (Vera) has found that incarcerated people are frequently sent to restrictive housing in response to low-level and nonviolent misbehaviors, because they need protection, due to custody or risk assessments, or in response to symptoms of mental illness.
https://www.vera.org/publications/why-a ... onfinement

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4259761/
hail Satan y'all
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Sparki55 wrote: Oct 13th, 2021, 3:06 pm]
No debate is ever over, new evidence, research, and connections can be exposed.
True that, but at this particular point time it has reached a stage where a set of rules is in place to govern the practice. You'd think that the correctional system might have some respect for the law, wouldn't you ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

In many case, solitary is a way to keep prisoners alive who, if placed in general population, might be harmed or killed.

I 100% agree with keeping mentally ill patients in solitary as they too would likely either be harmed or would harm others if left out in the open.

It's sad to think that jail is the only place for some of them due to shortages of proper facilities but it is what is.

Overall, not a big fan of prisoners rights in general. My own stance is that if you're in jail, you forfeit your rights. Rights are for law abiding citizens.

I'm not suggesting abusive treatment, just no access to modern conveniences like TVs and phones. Just the basics.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

What concerns me about this lawsuit being successful, I can see those put into solitary years ago also suing, and our government settling with them, for big bucks.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Solitary is used by prisons as punishment no different then parents sending a child to their room.

It to bad groups like B.C civil rights care more about offenders then those who were there victims. Of course Canada justice system also appears to care very little about victims of crime.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

GordonH wrote: Nov 14th, 2021, 12:31 pm Solitary is used by prisons as punishment no different then parents sending a child to their room.

It to bad groups like B.C civil rights care more about offenders then those who were there victims. Of course Canada justice system also appears to care very little about victims of crime.
Sending a child to their room for days/weeks at a time is abuse by any standard, and would likely be considered criminal. So it is different.

Solitary confinement does nothing to protect victims of crime. And it's illegal.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Y-Wine
Fledgling

Post by Y-Wine »

JayByrd wrote: Nov 15th, 2021, 7:33 am
GordonH wrote: Nov 14th, 2021, 12:31 pm Solitary is used by prisons as punishment no different then parents sending a child to their room.

Sending a child to their room for days/weeks at a time is abuse by any standard, and would likely be considered criminal. So it is different.

Solitary confinement does nothing to protect victims of crime. And it's illegal.
Thanks to PET our Constitution has Privilege's for the People and Rights for the Criminals.

Return to “Social Concerns”