Gardening 2021: berries, veggies, trees and flowers!

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Re: Gardening 2021: berries, veggies, trees and flowers!

Post by two_shoes1mit »

Queen K wrote: Nov 7th, 2021, 9:13 am Sterile seeds is evil. A work against Nature.

Pretty soon I expect an Orwellian announcement like, "gardening is bad for you and goes against the State."

Thanks Lady t for the gardening compliment *blushes*. I am muddling through. I plan to replant the Bee Balm you gave me out of the wheelbarrows and into the soil, maybe today. Planting garlic today too.
Pretty soon I expect an Orwellian announcement like, "canning your fruit and vegetables is bad for you and goes against the State."

I was more than a little excited yesterday, having a conversation with a stove repair person. He told me that I have ruined by stove by canning on it, that I should get rid of my coil burner stove and get a flat top. I asked, how I was to can with a flat top. He said you can't but flat tops are 70% energy efficient and coil burners only 40%. And, that the manufacturers are attempting to discontinue the coil burner stoves. I asked how to can then............he said get an old stove for your basement and do it there. Great, since we have a rancher with a crawl space! He went onto almost shame me for using a coil burner stove. I countered with my desire to can and he said those days are over. I then asked him, with his knowledge of the industry......what I could get counterwise for canning and he said there was nothing. When I had completely exhausted his expertise, he suggested that I get an old coil burner stove, with a thick enamaled top. He even thru in that perhaps I could get one in avocado green or harvest gold. I almost thru him out of the house. But where there is a will, there is a way. Perhaps I will trade in my stainless steel appliances and go for a total retro makeover.
I am reaching out here and asking.................what are you using to do your canning on?
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

If you have gas to the house, look into a gas stove. We switched about 10 years ago and should we ever move, gas to the house is a must.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

two_shoes1mit wrote: Nov 11th, 2021, 8:34 am I am reaching out here and asking.................what are you using to do your canning on?
We can on our ceramic/glass top stove.

You could always get a propane burner and do it outside.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/martin ... 1000751079
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

I do that - it's been awesome. Plus if we have a power outage, between that and the bbq we're golden.

I hope to can more next year, these past two years I haven't done much.
I haven't failed until I quit.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
faith7177

Post by faith7177 »

Is it too late to plant garlic in Kelowna?
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

faith7177 wrote: Nov 17th, 2021, 10:59 am Is it too late to plant garlic in Kelowna?
I'm almost certain it is too late.
https://www.almanac.com/planting-garlic-fall

But from another article,
However, you can also plant garlic in the spring, especially if you have a long growing season. The cloves won't be as large, but you'll enjoy the garlic scapes which are delicious shoots with a mild garlic flavor.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We're trying it today. It's that or eat our seed.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

faith7177 wrote: Nov 17th, 2021, 10:59 am Is it too late to plant garlic in Kelowna?
It might be but you could plant some and see and save the rest for the Spring.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

I'd try it. It's like Spring out there today and the next week looks moderate. Go for it!
I birn quil I se
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

And now we have snow. I do snow removal because I'm not full-time and the other members of my household are.

I scoop up the clean snow and dump it on my garden beds. Especially the tree beds, because they can get so very dry. I do this every year we have a decent snowfall, and each spring that follows I have a good start for my plants :)
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

My blooming pansies are buried under snow in their wheelbarrows. This is the season to plan for 2022, what is, what could be and what costs a fortune!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We had several Forsythas, a large Lylac and a couple of other shrubs removed from our yard yesterday. Along with a 30ft pyramid Cedar that blew over in the big wind storm.

After 30 years of trimming the Forsythias every year I have decided they are just a big weed! I hate them.

Back yard looks pretty bare right now and after they remove the roots in the Spring we will have to come up with some ideas.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

QK - keep us updated! I really enjoy hearing about your garden adventures

Bsuds - I remember when QK got rid of her Forsythia, she would agree with you. I liked the one my neighbours had, but they also took theirs down. I used to use it to know when to prune my roses . . . Looking forward to what you are planning in your yard, too!

I am not planning much for the coming year. If I can get my buddy motivated, the greenhouse may happen. Aside from that, I need to build a grape arbour and (if I have the coin) rebuild the boxes for my raised garden. At this point I'm not planning on planting anything in the garden, I think I will let it rest next year.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

You said that last year, about this year. [icon_lol2.gif]

Bsuds, someone put it this way, berry bushes are the way to go because of the BC floods. Blueberries esp. IF you can get them. Pick for one month, enjoy the plant for the rest of the year. :D

Return to “Creative Endeavours”