Urban Chickens

A potpourri of off-topics.
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Urban Chickens

Post by Catri »

I think you're allowed to keep hens in Kelowna already (no roosters for obvious reasons) as long as your lot is a half acre or larger. I would think a quarter. or even a fifth of an acre would be enough really, for a few hens, without bothering anyone. I believe Kamloops allows 2-4 hens on lots larger than .1 acre, which seems a hair small to me, but seems to be working out okay for them (I have friends there with backyard chickens).
CrystalCity
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CrystalCity »

Fancy wrote: Nov 19th, 2021, 10:56 am I've read that currently an egg a day is okay.
The average is dependent on overall health, diet, etc. The recommendation is on the low side to be "safe", but I'd guess for a person who is at the healthier end of the spectrum and eats plenty fish and veggies, an egg a day (if poached/hardboiled) is much better than a steak a day. A household still will likely not need many chickens for that level of consumption.
Not even the blood that flows through my veins is my own.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Appears that there is a lot of conflicting information out there about eggs. When I made the initial comment, I was thinking specifically of cholesterol.

This article I felt was pretty well balanced:
A single medium-sized egg contains 186 mg of cholesterol, which is 62% of the recommended daily intake (RDI). In contrast, the white is mostly protein and low in cholesterol (10).
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/ho ... ITLE_HDR_3

As mentioned, generally speaking "an egg a day" is considered healthy. For many, 2 eggs a day would be fine.

People should also keep in mind that eggs at breakfast is only a part of total egg consumption. Eggs are used as ingredients in many foods/goods. Breads, custards and fillings, binders for burger patties, etc.

Here's a castanet article I recalled reading a few months ago. It's about a couple living a self sustainable lifestyle off the grid out on Pender Island with a very healthy diet. In the article they mention their health and how it's mostly improved EXCEPT for cholesterol which has "risen slightly". To combat the rise in cholesterol they're modifying their diet to consume less eggs and chicken.
https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/341003 ... -challenge

Absolutely agree - eggs, especially organic eggs are healthy as long as total consumption is kept to "an egg or two" a day and you aren't consuming a significant amount of cholesterol from other sources. Hence the reference to "too many eggs".
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

There was a thread about city chickens many years ago, probably collecting dust in Castanet storage area.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

GordonH wrote: Nov 20th, 2021, 9:09 am There was a thread about city chickens many years ago, probably collecting dust in Castanet storage area.
Yup, I was thinking about that recently as well.

viewtopic.php?p=1932991#p1932991
I haven't failed until I quit.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Lady tehMa wrote: Nov 21st, 2021, 10:13 am
GordonH wrote: Nov 20th, 2021, 9:09 am There was a thread about city chickens many years ago, probably collecting dust in Castanet storage area.

That’s the one started by GF.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

nothanks - don't want to live by chickens
Urban chickens sounds so swank - like they only drink Starbucks and eat Avo toast
Besides, I could never kill one so I'd have a flock of ancient chickens
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Don't name animals you will eat. I learned my lesson.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

GordonH wrote: Nov 21st, 2021, 2:48 pm
Lady tehMa wrote: Nov 21st, 2021, 10:13 am

That’s the one started by GF.
I'll always regret not getting together with her. Miss her.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Grandmafreddy sounds like someone I’d get along with just fine as her thoughts on chickens align with mine:

“Seems more urban dwellers are becoming urban chicken farmers ... for many reasons.

People are realizing chickens are a multipurpose pet. They eat bugs and weeds, they're really fun to watch. And how many pets make you breakfast?

They don't bark all night (dogs).

They don't destroy your flower beds (cats).

They provide food for your family (eggs and meat).

They are natural pesticides (they eat many different kinds of bugs).

They provide chemical-free lawn and garden fertilizer (high in nitrogen).

They are natural herbicides (they eat weeds).

They aerate your lawn (they scratch in the earth)

They eat table scraps.

They live outside year-round (no mess in the house, no dog hair, no litter boxes, no scratched furniture, no pet smells, no urine on the rugs, upholstery and drapes.)

They can be kept in movable pens (called chicken "tractors" http://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/tractors.html) and can be contained right where you want them to be.

They are easy to keep (low maintenance).

They put themselves to bed at night and they are quiet all night long.

They don't get into the neighbours' garbage on garbage day.

Chickens don't need to go to obedience classes.

They will not bite the mailman.

They do not need to be neutered.

They do not need to taken to the groomers.

They do not need to go to a boarding kennel when you go on a trip.

They are cheap to buy and to maintain (baby chicks start at around $2 to buy, depending on breed, exotic breeds cost more).

They provide hours of entertainment (kids especially love chickens). Many communities class chickens as "pets" rather than "farm animals".

They don't bite (they may peck but if hand raised, they are very docile and friendly).

You know where your food comes from and what has gone into it (no chemicals, hormones, preservatives)

Three or four chickens requires only 3 sq ft per bird. Many large cities are now allowing up to 6 chickens on a city-sized lot. Most do not allow roosters, but some do.

Three or four hens will provide enough eggs for a family of 4. Three chickens lay about 50 eggs per month.

You don't need a rooster to get eggs.

Fresh eggs have a richer flavor and firmer whites that are better for baking.

Free-range eggs have 33 percent less cholesterol, 25 percent less saturated fat and noticeably more vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids than the typical mass-produced cage-raised egg layers.http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Foo ... -Eggs.aspx

Chickens can be raised on apartment and condo balconies. You can collect the chicken droppings, compost them in a small container, and then put them in your planters on your patio where you are growing some tomatoes or flowers.

Their homes can be made from repurposed materials (used lumber, pallets, plastic containers, etc)”

Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown

Return to “Grab Bag”