Canada needs a law like this.

I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Canada needs a law like this.

Post by I Think »

Every new house built in England must have a charger for electric vehicles.
We're lost but we're making good time.
my5cents
Guru

Re: Canada needs a law like this.

Post by my5cents »

Well,, it's a Building Code.

I've wondered why we don't have a building code for warm water. There are many ways to plumb a house so that very shortly after a hot water tap is turned on, the user has warm water. What does it cost in water and energy to run water for a few minutes to warm it up for use, times millions of homes.

There are many short falls in building codes. Interface areas are another.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
77TA
Lord of the Board

Post by 77TA »

No need for a law. Nearly every new home constructed gets one these days anyway.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

With rising house prices, how much will the builders charge buyers for this feature?
THE UK GOVERNMENT will introduce legislation to include electric vehicle charging points on all new-build homes and offices in England, it has been confirmed.
Addressing one potential issue that may result from an increase in the number of electric vehicles, the new legislation will mandate that the new chargers are “smart” devices enabling owners to charge their vehicles at off-peak times to save money and avoid overloading the electricity grid. By default, chargers will be set to send power to the cars during the night, when demand is low.
https://www.driving.co.uk/news/electric ... haps-2022/
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

oneh2obabe wrote: Nov 22nd, 2021, 12:08 pm With rising house prices, how much will the builders charge buyers for this feature?
I'm sure there will be variables that come into play there, cheaper systems and higher end systems. I think it's a safe bet that putting the wiring in place during construction would be cheaper than a retrofit.

I've recently sold my single family dwelling and will be shopping for a condo or townhouse in the new year, and I likely won't be shopping in a new complex. I'm wondering about what kind of costs I might be looking at down the road as older multi-unit developments deal with retrofitting their electrical service to accommodate EVs.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

fluffy wrote: Nov 22nd, 2021, 12:15 pm
oneh2obabe wrote: Nov 22nd, 2021, 12:08 pm With rising house prices, how much will the builders charge buyers for this feature?
I'm sure there will be variables that come into play there, cheaper systems and higher end systems. I think it's a safe bet that putting the wiring in place during construction would be cheaper than a retrofit.

I've recently sold my single family dwelling and will be shopping for a condo or townhouse in the new year, and I likely won't be shopping in a new complex. I'm wondering about what kind of costs I might be looking at down the road as older multi-unit developments deal with retrofitting their electrical service to accommodate EVs.
Rest assured.........you are going to be RIPPED OFF bigtime. I would go as far to say "Olympic Gold Medal World Record size." Going Green will leave a black hole in your finances........just watch.
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

fluffy wrote: Nov 22nd, 2021, 12:15 pm I've recently sold my single family dwelling and will be shopping for a condo or townhouse in the new year, and I likely won't be shopping in a new complex. I'm wondering about what kind of costs I might be looking at down the road as older multi-unit developments deal with retrofitting their electrical service to accommodate EVs.
Even with the government grant it'll cost the home owner £450.
Will it be compulsory on older homes?
No, this legislation just targets new builds, though for those intending to buy an electric vehicle or plug-in hybrid in the years ahead, installing a charger may be a practical move.

How much does it cost to install an electric car charger in your house?
Installing an electric car charger costs around £800, though those making the switch can take advantage of a £350 government grant to be put towards the cost.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

oneh2obabe wrote: Nov 22nd, 2021, 1:09 pmEven with the government grant it'll cost the home owner £450.
At a tank full per month, an extremely low estimate, I spend the equivalent of about £7000 on gasoline in a year. I'm sure it will work out.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

What's with the £ sign ?

Has Canada gone to the pound Stirling and I missed it ? Am I supposed to convert the £'s mentioned into Canadian dollars.

Signed, confused.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
oneh2obabe

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^The £ sign is from the article. Below is a chart showing the comparable dollar values for the last week. Easiest way to covert to Canadian dollars is multiply pound sterling by 1.6 to get a general idea.
BPS.png

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

I Think wrote: Nov 22nd, 2021, 7:48 am Every new house built in England must have a charger for electric vehicles.
Why? EV's suck. This is beyond brain-dead.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

fluffy wrote: Nov 22nd, 2021, 3:02 pm At a tank full per month, an extremely low estimate, I spend the equivalent of about £7000 on gasoline in a year. I'm sure it will work out.
Any idea what it will cost for the electricity to keep your new EV charged up?
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Iamme
Board Meister

Post by Iamme »

fluffy wrote: Nov 22nd, 2021, 12:15 pm

Fluffy,
I live in a Strata townhouse complex in Vernon. Our strata by-laws currently says, anything that is to be done inside is the structure is the responsibility or decision of the owner. Anything outside including windows, garage door, landscaping etc. is covered by Strata agreement and obviously paid for through our monthly maintenance fees. I suppose it could change although I believe it would have to be voted on by owners / proxy at the AGM. If you’re looking for a strata condo, townhouse etc., make sure you get previous minutes from council meetings and especially previous AGM minutes. There are complexes that don’t have a ppty mgmt company and decisions are made by the local residents. Maintenance fees in this regard is lower. Just a heads up and good luck with everything. You’ll find your new place
Bullying is not acceptable and cowardly. You know who you are.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I Think wrote: Nov 22nd, 2021, 7:48 am Every new house built in England must have a charger for electric vehicles.
Totally useless if the homeowner purchase an FC.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

fluffy wrote: Nov 22nd, 2021, 3:02 pm
oneh2obabe wrote: Nov 22nd, 2021, 1:09 pmEven with the government grant it'll cost the home owner £450.
At a tank full per month, an extremely low estimate, I spend the equivalent of about £7000 on gasoline in a year. I'm sure it will work out.
You spend £7000 for 12 tanks of gas? :135:

Even with Trudeau's insane carbon tax, your math is wonky, or you have a 617 litre tank on your car at today's fuel prices.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.

Return to “Canada”