Penticton Chamber of Commerce Awards

Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Re: Penticton Chamber of Commerce Awards

Post by Anonymous123 »

Here’s a good reason why he was even nominated, let alone forgiven.
The old boys club is alive and well in Penticton.

CF0F7E1F-EBCB-433F-AD4F-645654F4B06B.png
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

Don't know the guy - what are the "significant contributions he made during the year for our community" as stated in the article?

(I've been to Bad Tattoo once, only for a business lunch and the company paid. Not a beer drinker and personally don't like 'weird' pizza :biggrin: ) so I would not go back even if he hadn't done what he did).
my10cents

Post by my10cents »

For this fellow to even accept the award that evening, and still accepts it today, just shows his character! Remind me when I’m in town to blacklist that business.
And also major egg buffet on the Chambers faces!!! Wow.
Last edited by my10cents on Nov 23rd, 2021, 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

The chamber's explanation is downright laughable. "It's just one mistake" my *bleep*. One big horrible error in judgement and guaranteed that the only reason his position changed was due to the huge public backlash after digging in for 3 weeks. This was no passing error in judgement.

Chamber and their awards are a joke IMO.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

twobits wrote: Nov 22nd, 2021, 4:56 pm
soupy wrote: Nov 22nd, 2021, 8:03 am Chamber of commerce should be embarrassed by this decision.
Decision was likely based on a handful of credits for free pizza and a few pints of the worst beer of any brewery in town.
Every so many years there is a confluence of planets that align. I think it just happened again as I agree with Soupy.
These places are deep pocket funded and self promoting while they push out really crappy beer and over priced food that is both smaller in portion and less interesting than a popular street vendor Fry Truck.
I am sure we have more common ground that we think.
But I do know that this is embarrassing for our City, and there is no way I'll be back to Bad Tattoo again for quite some time.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Meh, it's not that big of a deal in my books. Yes, vaccine thing was a faux-pas. But their business might still be worthy of an award. They're are quite successful and we don't know of their achievements (which would be looked into during his selection process). May be they grew considerably, may be they are a good employer, may be they hit some ambitious goals. Some bad headline doesn't erase all of it.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

Even Steven wrote: Nov 23rd, 2021, 8:42 am Meh, it's not that big of a deal in my books. Yes, vaccine thing was a faux-pas. But their business might still be worthy of an award. They're are quite successful and we don't know of their achievements (which would be looked into during his selection process). May be they grew considerably, may be they are a good employer, may be they hit some ambitious goals. Some bad headline doesn't erase all of it.
IMO the "Neighbour" of Bad Tattoo was likely much more successful. Given the fact that quite often people get put on the wait list there, then go to Bad Tattoo and have a beer (not one of their brand) as they wait for their table to be ready.
I know I am not alone in doing this as even servers at Bad Tattoo comment how that is normal for them.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

soupy wrote: Nov 23rd, 2021, 8:55 amIMO the "Neighbour" of Bad Tattoo was likely much more successful.
Well, feel free to start Soupy Business Awards, and award them to whoever you like in accordance with your opinion. Penticton Chamber has its own. It's a free country.
dreamon
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by dreamon »

Even Steven wrote: Nov 23rd, 2021, 8:42 am Meh, it's not that big of a deal in my books. Yes, vaccine thing was a faux-pas. But their business might still be worthy of an award. They're are quite successful and we don't know of their achievements (which would be looked into during his selection process). May be they grew considerably, may be they are a good employer, may be they hit some ambitious goals. Some bad headline doesn't erase all of it.
It was not the business that won the award.
The award in question was bestowed upon the person as a Business Leader.
pentona
Übergod

Post by pentona »

dreamon wrote: Nov 23rd, 2021, 10:58 am
It was not the business that won the award.
The award in question was bestowed upon the person as a Business Leader.
Wow...if the award was for the "person", then the Chamber must really think that he showed leadership and was a great business man to receive such an award. He did apologize but rewarding someone for such a bad mistake by ignoring public health orders is just plain wrong. What was the Chamber even thinking!

I wrote off ever going there again, after this situation came to light. Maybe nothing wrong with the business/premises but the owner did not deserve any such award; not even a nomination. Sends the wrong message to others who abide by the laws.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

This was an award given to a restaurant owner. The award was for "Business Leader of the Year"

This business leader not only disobeyed a Health Department mandate, but announced his intention to do so, basically shouting out to the public that he supported disobeying Health Department rules.

Does that sound like someone who should get "Business Leader of the Year" ? Is that someone who should be considered a "leader". Especially when he is in the restaurant business which is closely connected to "health" and the Health Department.

It would be wrong as a business leader if he was in a dispute with a municipality over a parking bylaw and had announced he wasn't going to abide by that law, but announcing he wasn't going to abide by a law that was enacted by the most important regulator body for restaurants ? What's next, he's not going to abide by the Health Department regulations on refrigeration ?

Then the Penticton Chamber of Commerce stated that a two judge panel had narrowed down two finalists and picked Agar. When the Chamber became aware of Agar's win contrasted to his actions they asked the judges to revisit their decision and they affirmed it.

The Chamber president Joathan McGraw stated : "...the board felt they needed to uphold the integrity of the independent judging process, and not overrule it."

Integrity ! That's the one characteristic of this award that is missing !
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

my5cents nailed it.

I admittedly don't know the ownership levels of that particular business.
But from how quickly he back tracked and stepped down it seemed like others involved did not like his decision at all. :smt045
honeymuffins
Fledgling

Post by honeymuffins »

Plenty of emotion fueled talk about beer preferences recently. Some facts provided the castanet itself on the matter:

Bad Tattoo won 18 beer awards in the 2021.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... eer-Awards

:smt045
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

honeymuffins wrote: Nov 23rd, 2021, 7:51 pm Plenty of emotion fueled talk about beer preferences recently. Some facts provided the castanet itself on the matter:

And if you have a quick look at the awards they spent a small fortune to get all those entries put in.
Not to mention i think 10 of the awards were given to their label design (which is great) not the product inside. :smt045
honeymuffins
Fledgling

Post by honeymuffins »

soupy wrote: Nov 24th, 2021, 9:44 am
honeymuffins wrote: Nov 23rd, 2021, 7:51 pm Plenty of emotion fueled talk about beer preferences recently. Some facts provided the castanet itself on the matter:

And if you have a quick look at the awards they spent a small fortune to get all those entries put in.
Not to mention i think 10 of the awards were given to their label design (which is great) not the product inside. :smt045
https://www.worldbeerawards.com/winner- ... wards-2021

Had a chance to review Bad Tattoo's 2021 entries into the World Beer Awards.

At a glance, the company entered 8 unique beers into the competition.

Out of the 8 beers entered, 7 of them won a 'Taste Award' and all 8 of them won a 'Design Award'

Seems the judges were impressed if 7 of 8 beers entered won a taste award.

15 unique awards total for 2021.

Sign me up.

:130:

Return to “South Okanagan”