Free speech in Canada.

rookie314
Übergod

Re: Free speech in Canada.

Post by rookie314 »

spooker wrote: Nov 22nd, 2021, 9:36 am You can say whatever you want ... just be ready for the consequences ...
Mic drop.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

rookie314 wrote: Nov 22nd, 2021, 12:40 pm
spooker wrote: Nov 22nd, 2021, 9:36 am You can say whatever you want ... just be ready for the consequences ...
Mic drop.
David Suzuki decided to exercise his right to say incredibly stupid things in public the other day at one of those lunatic "Extinction Rebellion" get togethers, where like-minded imbeciles protest against fairy tales. He said that he thinks pipelines are going to get "blown up". And then of course he said that this was not a threat, like the true dummy that he is. Anyway, he's used to saying incredibly stupid and horrible things in public and getting away with it, because far Leftists can say stupid things like that in public and get away with it (like that idiot Madonna saying that she was going to blow up the White House - weird how the FBI didn't question her about that). But maybe Suzuki won't get away with this round of insanely stupid nonsense....
David Suzuki Foundation disavows Suzuki's warning that 'pipelines will be blown up' if there is no climate change action

The David Suzuki Foundation has distanced itself from environmental activist David Suzuki’s warning that ‘pipelines will be blown up’ if political leaders do not act on climate change.

During an interview with CHEK News on Saturday, Nov. 20, Suzuki warned that “if our leaders don’t pay attention to what’s going on” there will be “pipelines blowing up” without elaborating further.

A video broadcast of the remarks shows Suzuki wearing a white jacket bearing the David Suzuki Foundation logo.

Two days later, on Nov. 22, the foundation, an environmental non-profit headquartered in Vancouver, put out a statement on Twitter denying any involvement in the claims, explaining Suzuki spoke on his own behalf and not for the organization.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/d ... d=msedgntp

What a piece of :swear:.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

lock him up, are own home grown terrorist.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/lush-c ... -1.6259350

"Why Lush Cosmetics is exiting the 'dark and dangerous alleyway' of social media

Brand will deactivate Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and Snapchat accounts by Friday"

SNIP

"Lush is now bringing back the deactivation and applying it to all 48 countries it operates in because its "resolve has been strengthened" by information from whistleblowers who recently laid out harms young people face because of algorithms and "loose regulation."
Backlash against Facebook growing

Over the last few months, Facebook whistleblower Frances Haugen accused the company of prioritizing engagement and user growth over online safety.

Documents from the former Facebook data scientist suggested the social media giant knew about the harms its products cause and often did little or nothing to mitigate them."

SNIP

"The companies wanted to boycott Facebook because they believed it had not done enough to keep racist, false and dangerous content or white supremacists off its platform."

StopHateForProfit's website said studies completed since the boycott found "no platform has made significant structural changes" and Facebook made the least progress toward meeting the coalition's demands."

And yup, I agree that David Suzuki has lost the plot.

And yup, I won't have anything to do with Facebook and its subsidiaries. They are making $$$ by screwing everything up deliberately and treating their users as suckers to be fleeced.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I agree GB, when I read Suzuki’s comments I was shocked.

It’s one thing to advocate for a cleaner environment, but entirely another to make comments that might incite folks to use violence to further their cause.

As someone pointed out earlier, with freedom comes responsibility, and just because we CAN say something, doesn’t mean we SHOULD.

Public figures, such as Suzuki, need to be even more careful than the rest of us about saying things that could be interpreted by others to suggest they do something violent or hateful.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Merry wrote: Nov 23rd, 2021, 11:17 am I agree GB, when I read Suzuki’s comments I was shocked.

It’s one thing to advocate for a cleaner environment, but entirely another to make comments that might incite folks to use violence to further their cause.

As someone pointed out earlier, with freedom comes responsibility, and just because we CAN say something, doesn’t mean we SHOULD.

Public figures, such as Suzuki, need to be even more careful than the rest of us about saying things that could be interpreted by others to suggest they do something violent or hateful.
Sign of the times, Merry.....but it's funny that when a left leaning person says something like what Dr. Suzuki said, it's BIG NEWS....BUT, when it's someone from the Right advocating violence to get their way (which seemingly is everyday), it's no big deal and just par for the course. It's funny how we've stumbled into a bazzaro world these days.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

foenix wrote: Nov 23rd, 2021, 11:33 am
Merry wrote: Nov 23rd, 2021, 11:17 am I agree GB, when I read Suzuki’s comments I was shocked.

Sign of the times, Merry.....but it's funny that when a left leaning person says something like what Dr. Suzuki said, it's BIG NEWS....BUT, when it's someone from the Right advocating violence to get their way (which seemingly is everyday), it's no big deal and just par for the course. It's funny how we've stumbled into a bazzaro world these days.
If as suggested, Suzuki was speaking to Extinction Rebellion, and thus legitimizing their "cause", he was already promoting the anarchists on the very far left. That isn't "left leaning" - that is just plain stupid. The aim of Extinction Rebellion is compulsion. Same aim as the very far right. They are right at the spot where Mao meets Mussolini.

I must admit that when I see the media paying attention to the OCD whackadoodles of the world, from Faith Goldy to Greta Thunberg, it annoys the heck out of me. I suppose extremism sells air time etc., but really, what a waste of time. Yup, those folks are entitled to their views, however goofy, but amplifying those crazy views for a few $$ undermines responsible journalism and worse yet, undermines the principles of democracy surrounding consensus.

What the whackadoodles will never understand is that you don't build something better by destroying the foundations, you renovate. It takes time and hard work and consensus building. You can not build consensus by threatening violence and being disruptive vandals.

The very foundation that that allows the whackadoodles to have a voice at all is the consensus of democracy, which requires measures of restraint, pragmatism, respect and obligation. None of those elements are present at the whackadoodle fringes.

Part of those obligations in free society is to act responsibly. Yes, I have "free" speech. But it is my obligation to exercise that free speech in a responsible manner.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Sign of the times, Merry.....
Sign of what times? Since when has it been a "sign of the times" for an idiot to tell a group of even bigger idiots that they should be going around blowing up pipelines in the name of fairy tales? That's not a sign of the times, it's a sign of mental illness and general stupidity.
but it's funny that when a left leaning person says something like what Dr. Suzuki said, it's BIG NEWS....
It's actually not that BIG news. It should be BIG news, but really is it? Does anyone care that this pinhead is trying to incite violent acts in the name of fairy tales?
BUT, when it's someone from the Right advocating violence to get their way (which seemingly is everyday), it's no big deal and just par for the course. It's funny how we've stumbled into a bazzaro world these days.
^^^^
This is not only not true, it's nonsensical.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

I don’t know where you get the idea that anyone would base their approval or disapproval of such behaviour on the political leanings of the person behaving that way. Because I know lots of folks with right of centre political views, and none of them would approve of someone inciting violence the way Suzuki did, regardless of the cause being supported, or political leanings of the perpetrator. In fact, most folks with right of centre views are strong supporters of “law and order”, who condemn any kind of illegal protest activity.

And, as the majority of main stream media outlets in Canada tend to be “left leaning”, it’s difficult to believe they would give “right leaning” public figures a “free pass” on such behaviour either. So I don’t understand what you’re basing your observation on.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Nov 23rd, 2021, 12:22 pm
Sign of what times? Since when has it been a "sign of the times" for an idiot to tell a group of even bigger idiots that they should be going around blowing up pipelines in the name of fairy tales? That's not a sign of the times, it's a sign of mental illness and general stupidity.
but it's funny that when a left leaning person says something like what Dr. Suzuki said, it's BIG NEWS....
It's actually not that BIG news. It should be BIG news, but really is it? Does anyone care that this pinhead is trying to incite violent acts in the name of fairy tales?
BUT, when it's someone from the Right advocating violence to get their way (which seemingly is everyday), it's no big deal and just par for the course. It's funny how we've stumbled into a bazzaro world these days.
^^^^
This is not only not true, it's nonsensical.
Perhaps look around......plenty of evidence out there.....

Almost one in three of Republicans say violence may be necessary to ‘save’ US

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ve-us-poll

The Republican revolt against democracy, explained in 13 charts

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... -13-charts
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

foenix wrote: Nov 23rd, 2021, 1:20 pm
Perhaps look around......plenty of evidence out there.....

Almost one in three of Republicans say violence may be necessary to ‘save’ US

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... ve-us-poll

The Republican revolt against democracy, explained in 13 charts

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... -13-charts
Except we live in Canada, NOT America. And our politics are not the same as theirs. Not by a long shot.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

they are just as bad, just if different ways
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Erin O’Toole has issued a Public response to Mr. Suzuki’s comments
Our entire Conservative team has condemned Mr. Suzuki’s comments – and have invited Justin Trudeau to do the same.
But the question is, WILL Trudeau step up and do the right thing, or not?

I’m waiting with baited breath to find out.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

the truth wrote: Nov 23rd, 2021, 1:33 pm they are just as bad, just if different ways
No, they’re not. And if you really study American politics, as opposed to just reading the media, you’d know that.
spooker

Post by spooker »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Nov 23rd, 2021, 12:22 pm
I couldn't help laughing when I read this ... exactly describes Trump talking at the Jan 6 rally ... replace "pipelines" with "Congress" and the fairy tale was that he won the election ... proves foenix's point I think

Return to “Canada”