A Heads Up About The US Border

I Think
Walks on Forum Water

A Heads Up About The US Border

Post by I Think »

Yesterday crossing back into Canada after a 4 day visit to the US, Our daughter was informed by the border guard, that they have received no official word regarding the need for a 72 hour covid test.
The border guard told her that they have seen the press reports that testing would no longer be required for the fully vaccinated, but have yet to be informed officially that it was to be put in place.
People planning a shopping trip across the border in December need to be certain of the test requirements.
We're lost but we're making good time.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: A Heads Up About The US Border

Post by ferri »

I just saw this:

B.C. woman fined $5,700 at border said agents unaware of new travel exemption issued by Canadian government
"[The agent] was quite stern and said I was violating the [Quarantine] Act because I didn't have the PCR test. I told her [the regulation] had been changed, but she wasn't buying it," said Jones.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... 613_339412
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Hmmm, did the border agents ask that the fine be paid in WalMart gift cards ?
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

CBSA is reminding people that the B.C. exemption does not apply to discretionary, non-essential travel.

"This means that travellers who enter the U.S. for the purposes of shopping for non-essential goods, or to eat at restaurants, visit friends or attend events, would be deemed discretionary and would not be exempt from the requirements for a molecular [PCR] test," the agency said.
I guess the exemption is for people to get back home, not to save few bucks on gas.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Even Steven wrote: Nov 24th, 2021, 9:21 am
CBSA is reminding people that the B.C. exemption does not apply to discretionary, non-essential travel.

"This means that travellers who enter the U.S. for the purposes of shopping for non-essential goods, or to eat at restaurants, visit friends or attend events, would be deemed discretionary and would not be exempt from the requirements for a molecular [PCR] test," the agency said.
I guess the exemption is for people to get back home, not to save few bucks on gas.
They announced an exemption last week specifically for communities close to the border to allow people to go across the border to fuel up or buy groceries due to the flooding in BC. Apparently, according to the news yesterday, there was a "communication error" with the CBSA but that "communication error" has been rectified:

https://globalnews.ca/news/8397111/covi ... er-floods/

Anyone who does extensive travelling knows quite well that the CBSA has a long standing tradition of "communication errors" and is the Initech of border control:

*removed*

As of Nov 30th, the test is supposed to be completely dropped for all vaccinated travellers spending less than 72 hours in the US - as anxious as I am in crossing the border, think I'm gonna wait an extra week to make sure Border Bob actually reads his memo and an extra week to make sure Border Bob actually understands his memo.
Last edited by ferri on Nov 24th, 2021, 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Off Topic
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I’m guessing that memo from Ottawa got caught up in the rapids the canoe riders is using. [icon_lol2.gif]
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

OKkayak wrote: Nov 24th, 2021, 9:49 am
Even Steven wrote: Nov 24th, 2021, 9:21 am

They announced an exemption last week specifically for communities close to the border to allow people to go across the border to fuel up or buy groceries due to the flooding in BC. Apparently, according to the news yesterday, there was a "communication error" with the CBSA but that "communication error" has been rectified:

https://globalnews.ca/news/8397111/covi ... er-floods/

Anyone who does extensive travelling knows quite well that the CBSA has a long standing tradition of "communication errors" and is the Initech of border control:

*removed*

As of Nov 30th, the test is supposed to be completely dropped for all vaccinated travellers spending less than 72 hours in the US - as anxious as I am in crossing the border, think I'm gonna wait an extra week to make sure Border Bob actually reads his memo and an extra week to make sure Border Bob actually understands his memo.
"Do you have a low double digit IQ?.........we at Canada Border Services can use people like you".........."just stop at any of our border locations and witness for yourself what a grade 8 education can get you........and you get a gun to boot."
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

lesliepaul wrote: Nov 24th, 2021, 1:05 pm....and you get a gun to boot."
Hopefully no bullets.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Bsuds wrote: Nov 24th, 2021, 2:00 pm
lesliepaul wrote: Nov 24th, 2021, 1:05 pm....and you get a gun to boot."
Hopefully no bullets.
Yep, Barney Fife of border services. [icon_lol2.gif]
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

ferri wrote: Nov 24th, 2021, 8:01 am I just saw this:

B.C. woman fined $5,700 at border said agents unaware of new travel exemption issued by Canadian government
"[The agent] was quite stern and said I was violating the [Quarantine] Act because I didn't have the PCR test. I told her [the regulation] had been changed, but she wasn't buying it," said Jones.
That level of fine for simply not having a negative PCR test is nothing more than obscene and speaks volumes of the mentality that comes out of Ottawa.

Double vaccinated but no PCR test and they hit you with a fine of $5,700. :cuss:
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

bb49 wrote: Nov 24th, 2021, 3:16 pm
ferri wrote: Nov 24th, 2021, 8:01 am I just saw this:

That level of fine for simply not having a negative PCR test is nothing more than obscene and speaks volumes of the mentality that comes out of Ottawa.

Double vaccinated but no PCR test and they hit you with a fine of $5,700. :cuss:
It’s absolutely pure stupidity, the person who came up with this crazy fine should have their office moved to furthest north point of Canada.
77TA
Lord of the Board

Post by 77TA »

She made a choice not to get a pcr test.
The fine should be higher and she should lose her job!

Choices have consequences [icon_lol2.gif]
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Kroynon wrote: Nov 24th, 2021, 4:58 pm She made a choice not to get a pcr test.
The fine should be higher and she should lose her job!

Choices have consequences [icon_lol2.gif]
You do realize Ottawa dropped pcr test for quick trips across the US/Canada border, impo the person needing to fired is whomever didn’t update their border service employees.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I don't agree with fining a Canadian Citizen for not having any kind of a test to enter their own country!

I think it would be fairer to have the option of taking a test or self isolating whichever they prefer.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

GordonH wrote: Nov 24th, 2021, 3:42 pm
bb49 wrote: Nov 24th, 2021, 3:16 pm

It’s absolutely pure stupidity, the person who came up with this crazy fine should have their office moved to furthest north point of Canada.
I wonder if that :cuss: moron Health Minister Patty (graphic designer) Hajdu had any say in this ridiculous FINE..........money and numbers were not a part of her two-bit education........she should have been sent back to her street corner in Thunder Bay the day Covid hit.

Return to “Canada”