Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

Boosted632
Banned

Re: Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

Post by Boosted632 »

Wow 5 paid days off to go skiing just another nail in the small business coffin thanks ndp
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Boosted632 wrote: Nov 24th, 2021, 4:21 pm Wow 5 paid days off to go skiing just another nail in the small business coffin thanks ndp
Maybe its high time that small businesses find a new way to support themselves and not sustain themselves off of the Liberal party subsidies. Just pass the costs to the consumers and not off of hard-working people's backs.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Nov 24th, 2021, 5:36 pm
Boosted632 wrote: Nov 24th, 2021, 4:21 pm Wow 5 paid days off to go skiing just another nail in the small business coffin thanks ndp
Maybe its high time that small businesses find a new way to support themselves and not sustain themselves off of the Liberal party subsidies. Just pass the costs to the consumers and not off of hard-working people's backs.
Gonna be tough for the consumer to pay those costs when the consumer doesn't get wage increases as a result of idiotic things like this
I wouldn't Have to manage my anger if people could learn to manage their STUPIDITY
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Well not everyone is like you and will scam the system. Some workers actually get sick and need to stay home so they can get better and not spread the sickness to others!

I always had paid sick time and never abused it.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

To those planning on doing this very thing... I suggest you don’t post it on social media anywhere.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Boosted632
Banned

Post by Boosted632 »

Bsuds wrote: Nov 24th, 2021, 5:42 pm
Well not everyone is like you and will scam the system. Some workers actually get sick and need to stay home so they can get better and not spread the sickness to others!

I am a business owner and can tell you without a shred of doubt 99% of people will use all 5 days anyone that says otherwise is full of poop
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote: Nov 24th, 2021, 5:44 pm
To those planning on doing this very thing... I suggest you don’t post it on social media anywhere.
Much easier to get caught now than back in our day.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Nov 24th, 2021, 5:36 pm
Another post from someone who has absolutely no experience with private business or looking at credits and debits, checks and balances, profits and losses.

"Just pass the costs to the consumers and not off of hard-working people's backs."
And increase the price of the product you sell? Which then turns away those hard-working people because they can't afford these higher prices.
Oh, then these hard working people should just go down the hall to their boss and demand more money.
Are you familiar with the term "revolving door"? No, I didn't think so.

You do realize that all these covid restrictions have been brutal on businesses don't you? And now they will be forking over five days pay and very little in return

You do realize that they can't get enough employees even when business has picked up? But your answer to that was Oh, just pay them more.

Is it only a government worker who tell private businesses to PAY MORE, because that's how governments operate.?
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Boosted632 wrote: Nov 24th, 2021, 5:47 pm

I am a business owner and can tell you without a shred of doubt 99% of people will use all 5 days anyone that says otherwise is full of poop
:up:
Well there are a few on here that will say poop.

I haven't seen the details yet but lets hope that employers can demand a doctors note for these sick days.

My last job was with the BC government and at that time if you wanted a sick day you only got paid for part of it. I don't recall if you were paid for 60% or 80% of it.
There were other restrictions too and they at times demanded a doctor's note. I believe if it was after three days.
Maybe that's changed but even then there was a lot of abuse of the system.

And then there are some of the Health Unions where the contract allows employees to bank their sick days and then get paid out when they retire. Can you imagine being paid an additional 100 or 200 days when you quit or retire.
For some it's like winning the lottery.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Boosted632 wrote: Nov 24th, 2021, 5:47 pm

Ya.....so? Employers make people work part-time to get out of paying for employee benefits. If there is a way to shaft workers - employers do so. 2 weeks of paid vacation is a perfect example. Many contractors don't do so. Especially in construction.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

LOL, literally every developed nation in the Western World outside of North America has paid sick days and their small businesses do just fine. What is it, something like 140 countries in the world have required paid sick days? Go to Germany, you get 6 weeks plus you also get paid spa leave as part of your medical coverage - haven't seen any small businesses go under cuz of that.

Seriously, this backwards mentality here is just mind boggling. Can't wait until we have mandatory 30 day paid vacation like they do every where else - the belly aching will be popcorn munching worthy. Better yet, mandatory 13th month pay cheque every year like they do in Germany - what good is vacation time without an extra months wages to pay for it? :up:
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

There’s literally thousands of sawmill and pulpmill workers in the province, that belong to a union, that don’t get paid sick leave, and unfortunately this new legislation won’t benefit those workers because employers aren’t obligated to give employees anything that wasn’t negotiated in the union contract. Essentially if you have a contract with your employer that doesn’t include sick leave in writing, you’re still not going to get sick leave. Or if you have a contact with your employer giving you 3 paid sick days per year, you’re still only going to be eligible for 3 days, not 5.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
common_sense_guy
Übergod

Post by common_sense_guy »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Aug 13th, 2021, 10:04 pm
bb49 wrote: Aug 13th, 2021, 9:41 pmA never-ending assault on businesses.
If owners are complaining about external forces being an assault - then they really aren't business people. They are glorified middlemen.
You really have no clue how business works and I would doubt you've ever had one yourself or you'd be a little more understanding of the situation and not being so narrow-minded
You don't learn when you are talking. You can only learn while you're listening.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Hurtlander wrote: Nov 25th, 2021, 5:55 am There’s literally thousands of sawmill and pulpmill workers in the province, that belong to a union, that don’t get paid sick leave, and unfortunately this new legislation won’t benefit those workers because employers aren’t obligated to give employees anything that wasn’t negotiated in the union contract. Essentially if you have a contract with your employer that doesn’t include sick leave in writing, you’re still not going to get sick leave. Or if you have a contact with your employer giving you 3 paid sick days per year, you’re still only going to be eligible for 3 days, not 5.
I don't believe that is correct, this is a change to the Employment Standards Act which trumps a Collective Agreement unless that Collective Agreement already meets or exceeds the new legislation.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

Bsuds wrote: Aug 18th, 2021, 6:50 am It can be very difficult for someone on an hourly wage to stay home when sick. So they go to work and make other people ill as well.

So what's better for the employer, 1 sick worker off or several who can't do a good job because they are working while sick?

I know there are some who will take advantage so what's the best answer?
That is a very valid point Bsuds. Too many people want to look at this from the angle that it will be taken advantage of by people looking for a free ride, but that is an assumption based on a preconceived prejudice aimed at throwing the baby out with the bath water. My former employer had a short term disability plan that would give an employee two weeks pay at EI rates, after that regular EI coverage would kick in. However there was extensive paperwork involved in justifying the claim, a doctor's assessment being at the center of that. That tended to weed out freeloaders.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut

Return to “B.C.”