Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Re: Paid sick leave for employees in B.C.

Post by nucksRnum1 »

common_sense_guy wrote: Nov 25th, 2021, 7:31 amYou really have no clue how business works and I would doubt you've ever had one yourself or you'd be a little more understanding of the situation and not being so narrow-minded
It is evident that those who call themselves "businesses" while lamenting outside forces don't know what they are doing neither. I choose not to "know how things are" because I don't want to be influenced by failure and incompetence. Hopefully, new strong businesses rise up to show the failed ones how to do things more effectively and independently. Rather than being a mooch off of taxpayers for pandemic business subsidy. Just another case where profits are private - and losses are public.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Nov 25th, 2021, 5:55 pm
common_sense_guy wrote: Nov 25th, 2021, 7:31 amYou really have no clue how business works and I would doubt you've ever had one yourself or you'd be a little more understanding of the situation and not being so narrow-minded
It is evident that those who call themselves "businesses" while lamenting outside forces don't know what they are doing neither. I choose not to "know how things are" because I don't want to be influenced by failure and incompetence. Hopefully, new strong businesses rise up to show the failed ones how to do things more effectively and independently. Rather than being a mooch off of taxpayers for pandemic business subsidy. Just another case where profits are private - and losses are public.
[icon_lol2.gif]
Sometimes it's better to be thought a fool, rather than speaking and removing all doubt.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

^^^^

Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Fortunately, there is a shift in politics and society where the employees are becoming valued more. This ability to mail it in when needed has been a long time coming. Why not let employees have sick days when businesses are being propped up for over a year. In the good old days, the strong survived. Now businesses can be as useless as they want - and still get subsidies from taxpayers. They don't even have to pay the full wages of their workers. How long are businesses going to be syphoning off other people's money? The mantra about small businesses being the cornerstone of the economy - looks about as true as Abbotsford not being a lake. I don't care how hard whiners say they work and that it is all for the workers. Enough is enough already. Let's see some competition show the losers how it's done.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Nov 26th, 2021, 12:19 am Let's see some competition show the losers how it's done.
You don't own a business. It's clear if you tried you would fail.

How about you do go give it a go and fail? You speak about business owners, specifically small business, as lazy people who only take. Well, they aren't any competition for someone as strong and hardworking as you are! Clearly you have a strong opinion here, I'm not trying to change it either, just trying too see if you'll stand behind it.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

The argument that employees may come to work sick and communicable because they can't afford to lose the work hours is very real. As is the argument that there will be employees who view sick days as just more vacation time. Neither argument negates the other, and both can be solved by requiring that the reason for time off be substantiated by a Doctor.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

fluffy wrote: Nov 26th, 2021, 9:36 am The argument that employees may come to work sick and communicable because they can't afford to lose the work hours is very real. As is the argument that there will be employees who view sick days as just more vacation time. Neither argument negates the other, and both can be solved by requiring that the reason for time off be substantiated by a Doctor.
It takes weeks to get an appointment with our doctors.

Doctors don't want people who are ill with something communicable to visit their offices.

Doctors are already too busy - asking them to police who's abusing their sick days isn't helpful.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Sparki55 wrote: Nov 26th, 2021, 7:59 am
nucksRnum1 wrote: Nov 26th, 2021, 12:19 am Let's see some competition show the losers how it's done.
You don't own a business. It's clear if you tried you would fail.

How about you do go give it a go and fail? You speak about business owners, specifically small business, as lazy people who only take. Well, they aren't any competition for someone as strong and hardworking as you are! Clearly you have a strong opinion here, I'm not trying to change it either, just trying too see if you'll stand behind it.
I would only start a business if I knew I could afford it. And that is something that most small businesses ignore. Unfortunately failed businesses cost all taxpayers when there are bankruptcies. Maybe there should be more red tape in regards to opening a business. Maybe there shouldn't be the opportunity to walk away and declare bankruptcy. More of a societal/economic "you break it - you buy it". Having to be responsible for failure should be something that is done going forward. Rewarding those who hate working for someone else and fail - is part of the problem. That should be remembered as a failure - not celebrated.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Nov 26th, 2021, 10:15 am I would only start a business if I knew I could afford it. And that is something that most small businesses ignore.
A business is to make money, not cost money. A business isn't something one "affords".

Why don't you open up a dog-sitting business? You can start it off at your home and then move to an industrial building after you have some clients. You will need about $3,000 in initial startup money and then once you have some income you will need to cover the cost of the lease of the industrial unit and a couple of staff. Since according to you all other business owners are lazy, you should shine and have the best dog sitting business in the Okanagan.

If that doesn't tickle your fancy, try a window cleaning company. Don't require much to start, just a working truck and a few thousand $$$ in equipment.

Otherwise, you're just hiding behind a lame excuse. Look around you at how many successful people there are that started with nothing more than an idea.
nucksRnum1 wrote: Nov 26th, 2021, 10:15 am Unfortunately failed businesses cost all taxpayers when there are bankruptcies. Maybe there should be more red tape in regards to opening a business. Maybe there shouldn't be the opportunity to walk away and declare bankruptcy. More of a societal/economic "you break it - you buy it". Having to be responsible for failure should be something that is done going forward. Rewarding those who hate working for someone else and fail - is part of the problem. That should be remembered as a failure - not celebrated.
Yes, let's make it harder for people to start something and make their own living while providing jobs for others... Let's make it so hard to get a business license that only those with a dual degree in marketing and business can open a business. Then when there are no jobs left we can blame _______?

Do you have anything else or are you going to continue throwing out nonsense onto the forums?
AtlantisKelowna
Board Meister

Post by AtlantisKelowna »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Aug 13th, 2021, 10:46 pm Much like business owners don't respect workers on CERB.
What is there to respect when there is work available but people would rather sit at home and collect off the backs of those who could do the same but choose to do the right thing? How long can JT keep printing money before it's completely worthless?

I understand wages and the cost of living are off-balance but it is amazing how so many are still able to accomplish life goals with a bit of hard work. Don't be scared, it builds character! This handout lifestyle is going to drive our economy further in the garbage if people don't start pulling up their socks and EARNING a living on their own.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Sparki55 wrote: Nov 26th, 2021, 10:25 amYes, let's make it harder for people to start something and make their own living while providing jobs for others... Let's make it so hard to get a business license that only those with a dual degree in marketing and business can open a business. Then when there are no jobs left we can blame _______?

Do you have anything else or are you going to continue throwing out nonsense onto the forums?
And there it is. The "do you know who I am"? And "people work for me"! Messiah complex. Prerequisite is something you find in every other industry and vocation. You can't just hook up an electrical panel "just because". You have to be educated and experienced to do so. You cant work on rockets at NASA "just because". You cant do open heart surgery "just because". So starting a "business" because you don't play well with others - and have a huge ego - shouldn't fly. This pandemic has shown that the "way of doing business" these days is severely flawed.
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

AtlantisKelowna wrote: Nov 26th, 2021, 10:30 am
nucksRnum1 wrote: Aug 13th, 2021, 10:46 pm Much like business owners don't respect workers on CERB.
What is there to respect when there is work available but people would rather sit at home and collect off the backs of those who could do the same but choose to do the right thing? How long can JT keep printing money before it's completely worthless?

I understand wages and the cost of living are off-balance but it is amazing how so many are still able to accomplish life goals with a bit of hard work. Don't be scared, it builds character! This handout lifestyle is going to drive our economy further in the garbage if people don't start pulling up their socks and EARNING a living on their own.
Businesses should send all the federal monies back to Trudeau Liberals. After all - business incompetence and failure - shouldn't be covered by "other people's money". That's why you call it a 'private business" - not a "public business".
AtlantisKelowna
Board Meister

Post by AtlantisKelowna »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Nov 26th, 2021, 10:41 am
AtlantisKelowna wrote: Nov 26th, 2021, 10:30 am

Businesses should send all the federal monies back to Trudeau Liberals. After all - business incompetence and failure - shouldn't be covered by "other people's money". That's why you call it a 'private business" - not a "public business".
And grown adults should not take "other people's money" when they are fully capable of earning their own! You speak of business incompetence and failure? What about the incompetence of our young generation who feel they don't need to earn their place in the working world and should have it handed to them? What the hell does that teach? You want to see failure, keep advocating for this and you will.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

nucksRnum1 wrote: Nov 26th, 2021, 10:38 am And there it is. The "do you know who I am"? And "people work for me"! Messiah complex. Prerequisite is something you find in every other industry and vocation. You can't just hook up an electrical panel "just because". You have to be educated and experienced to do so. You cant work on rockets at NASA "just because". You cant do open heart surgery "just because". So starting a "business" because you don't play well with others - and have a huge ego - shouldn't fly. This pandemic has shown that the "way of doing business" these days is severely flawed.
Starting a dog sitting or window cleaning business isn't rocket science. Neither is running a restaurant. Nor does one need to be a red seal chef to own a restaurant...

I also don't see a huge amount of failed heart surgery or NASA rockets (I've worked on a few items for them).

My boss has zero idea how to do my job, yet he can manage me.
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I'm the kinda guy who never calls in sick but if I had 5 paid days for it...I'd feel like I'm missing out if I didn't.

Return to “B.C.”