Justice for Ahmaud Arbery didnt start off as a crime of murder

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
cv23
Guru

Re: Justice for Ahmaud Arbery didnt start off as a crime of murder

Post by cv23 »

Peremptory challenges aren't mutually agreed upon.
Both prosecution and defense have equal number of peremptory challenges so how is that in any way bias? Should one side or one race get more?
A jury should reflect the community, that is the intent of the jury system.
Where does it say that in the law?
In this case, fortunately even with the racially biased jury the three were convicted anyway.
Obviously there was no racial bias if all 11 of the white jurors voted to convict the white defendants.
The low life defence lawyers did their best, to bring even more race into it
Would you have preferred the defense hadn't used everything they could have and left the option for a mistrial open? Obviously then no lawyer for a colored defendant has ever played the race card in an effort to defend their client? Ever heard of Jussie Smollett? If you were accused of murder, rightly or wrongly, would you want your lawyer to not try everything he could to see you acquitted or that he just sat back and let you burn?

The judicial system worked just as it should so what's the problem? Ad in the Kyle Rittenhouse verdict and the American court system is two for two in seeing justice done this week.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

cv23 wrote: Nov 28th, 2021, 2:27 pm Would you have preferred the defense hadn't used everything they could have and left the option for a mistrial open? Obviously then no lawyer for a colored defendant has ever played the race card in an effort to defend their client? Ever heard of Jussie Smollett? If you were accused of murder, rightly or wrongly, would you want your lawyer to not try everything he could to see you acquitted or that he just sat back and let you burn?

The judicial system worked just as it should so what's the problem? Ad in the Kyle Rittenhouse verdict and the American court system is two for two in seeing justice done this week.
I don't know what Jussie Smollett's legal problems have with this discussion.

A defense lawyer wrongly finding something inappropriate with a black pastor in the court gallery, would somehow cause a mistrial if he hadn't ???

There's a science to jury trials, a defense counsel can alienate the jury and thus his client, with inappropriate shenanigans, I fear you see too many criminal trials,,, on TV.

Ya right the Kyle Rittenhouse verdict was was a great example of US justice (lets stay with Arbery)
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
cv23
Guru

Post by cv23 »

I don't know what Jussie Smollett's legal problems have with this discussion.
Jussie falsely tried to play the race card to get his 5min of fame and will be facing the court to answer for it.
A defense lawyer wrongly finding something inappropriate with a black pastor in the court gallery, would somehow cause a mistrial if he hadn't ???
Just a defense lawyer trying EVERYTHING he can think to defend his client. Again if you were charged with murder, wrongly or rightly, wouldn't you want/expect your lawyer to use anything and everything possible to defend you?
There's a science to jury trials, a defense counsel can alienate the jury and thus his client, with inappropriate shenanigans, I fear you see too many criminal trials,,, on TV.
Wow didn't realize we had such an authoritarian on American law in our midst. Mind sharing what university you got your law degree from?
Ya right the Kyle Rittenhouse verdict was was a great example of US justice
Always good to see the system work as it should and provide "Liberty and Justice for ALL"
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

More fallout from the Rittenhouse verdict.

Best Buy and Levi Straus trying to be the wokest companies in America.
https://www.the-sun.com/news/4162714/ky ... s-boycott/
Best Buy & Levi Strauss face boycott for offering employee counseling over not guilty verdict

Really now, how stressed can a person be to require counseling? [icon_lol2.gif]
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

The Green Barbarian wrote: Nov 25th, 2021, 10:20 pm
JLives wrote: Nov 25th, 2021, 2:50 pm
It's because Arbery was murdered for the "crime" of jogging while black which those 3 dumb, white rednecks thought meant he was fleeing a crime. The truck had a Confederate flag on it and they called him racist names while he was under attack from these racists. Race is very much relevant in this young man's murder.
Given the amount of disinformation with that 17 year old kid, who knows if any of what you wrote above is actually true. As I said, even if "race is very much relevant" as you state above, why does this have to be in every headline? Just state that three guys were found guilty, and that's the end of the story.
It's all about racism - I would hazard to guess that Arbery was killed simply because those men were white. If Arbery had been a white kid running through the neighborhood would those guy have chased him down like a pack of wild dogs and murdered him? If they were black and saw a black kid running through their neighborhood would they have run him down and murdered him?

The murderers were white and that's a very important fact. It's also extremely relevant that a mainly white jury convicted them. That sends a potently strong message to the world that not every white person in the south is a racist or even if they are, they know the difference between right and wrong. Not long ago (1981) blacks were getting lynched in the south for nothing more than running into the wrong white boys after dark. Perps were getting away with it thanks to the indifference or help of the authorities. The times they are a'changing.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

techrtr wrote: Nov 30th, 2021, 7:26 am It's all about racism - I would hazard to guess that Arbery was killed simply because those men were white. If Arbery had been a white kid running through the neighborhood would those guy have chased him down like a pack of wild dogs and murdered him? If they were black and saw a black kid running through their neighborhood would they have run him down and murdered him?

The murderers were white and that's a very important fact. It's also extremely relevant that a mainly white jury convicted them. That sends a potently strong message to the world that not every white person in the south is a racist or even if they are, they know the difference between right and wrong. Not long ago (1981) blacks were getting lynched in the south for nothing more than running into the wrong white boys after dark. Perps were getting away with it thanks to the indifference or help of the authorities. The times they are a'changing.
Reminder,,,, this took three DA's before charges were laid.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

my5cents wrote: Nov 30th, 2021, 8:56 am
techrtr wrote: Nov 30th, 2021, 7:26 am It's all about racism - I would hazard to guess that Arbery was killed simply because those men were white. If Arbery had been a white kid running through the neighborhood would those guy have chased him down like a pack of wild dogs and murdered him? If they were black and saw a black kid running through their neighborhood would they have run him down and murdered him?

Reminder,,,, this took three DA's before charges were laid.
True, and that is pretty sickening.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

techrtr wrote: Nov 30th, 2021, 9:54 am True, and that is pretty sickening.
:up: :up: :up:
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

Well said.
:up: :up: :up:

Yes. The times are changing.
Thanks to the videos.
Both George Floyd's and Mr. Arbery's.
Not sure anything would have been done otherwise.
A small shift is in the air and that's good.
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.

Return to “Social Concerns”