A Heads Up About The US Border

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: A Heads Up About The US Border

Post by Bsuds »

bb49 wrote: Nov 30th, 2021, 4:26 pm
Bsuds wrote: Nov 30th, 2021, 4:21 pm What! You went down and didn't buy Tillamook Cheese!

Sacrilege!
But he bought Bud Light. :cuss:
That's not beer.
American beer is not real beer.... :130:
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

Oh yeah…..I forgot. Got two two-pounders of Tillamook Medium. $8.88 each.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Went south today, the Canadian Border Guard came out while we were in line to go south & asked to see our Arrive Cda stuff, he said he was checking so that people would not cross without being fully prepared. Nice touch from the Border Guy.
Sorry Sudsie, no cheese, just snow blower parts not available in Canadia.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Sarges46

A new level of absurdity at the border!

Post by Sarges46 »

On Nov 30 I made the error of closing the border for lunch and some cheese in Oroville Washington. I made the mistake of not reading far enough into the jungle of requirements to get back home! I stopped at the part that being fully vaccinated and only being gone for a couple hours all would be good.
Imagine my surprise when the not so friendly fellow Canadian Border Services agent asked me for my ArivCan App. What the heck is that I asked. Pull over to the side and someone will talk with you she said. After waiting for 10 minutes someone finally waved me to come into the building.
There I stood in front of a quarantine officer. Given 2 covid test kits and told that I must quarantine for 14 days and complete these self administered tests. What he honest hell!
I called numerous people to try and get exemption...Noone wants to help. Our MP is aware and is trying to help.

I also find out that the officer could have exempted me on her own judgment. Nope...I have the power to screw you and I will.

Simple mistake on my part by following the spirit of the law but not the letter of the law.
My penalty is more severe than some true criminals have received for worse offenses.

Rant over.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: A new level of absurdity at the border!

Post by Fancy »

You are not alone:
VANCOUVER - On the first day of new rules allowing Canadians to make cross-border trips that are less than 72 hours without producing a negative PCR test upon return, many British Columbians didn’t realize they need the Arrive Can app on their phone and have to fill out a trip itinerary and quarantine plan in order to drive back home.
British Columbians who arrived at Canadian border crossings without that app were sent back into the lineup to re-enter the United States. They were told to download the app and fill out the details in Blaine, before lining up to drive home again.

A frustrated American border guard told CTV News 95 per cent of the traffic he saw at his booth today was British Columbians who had no idea they needed that app, and had been denied entry by Canadian Border Services agents.
https://bc.ctvnews.ca/no-covid-19-test- ... -1.5688388

being discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=90123&start=30
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: A new level of absurdity at the border!

Post by Catri »

Sarges46 wrote: Dec 2nd, 2021, 1:34 pm On Nov 30 I made the error of closing the border for lunch and some cheese in Oroville Washington. I made the mistake of not reading far enough into the jungle of requirements to get back home! I stopped at the part that being fully vaccinated and only being gone for a couple hours all would be good.
Imagine my surprise when the not so friendly fellow Canadian Border Services agent asked me for my ArivCan App. What the heck is that I asked. Pull over to the side and someone will talk with you she said. After waiting for 10 minutes someone finally waved me to come into the building.
There I stood in front of a quarantine officer. Given 2 covid test kits and told that I must quarantine for 14 days and complete these self administered tests. What he honest hell!
I called numerous people to try and get exemption...Noone wants to help. Our MP is aware and is trying to help.

I also find out that the officer could have exempted me on her own judgment. Nope...I have the power to screw you and I will.

Simple mistake on my part by following the spirit of the law but not the letter of the law.
My penalty is more severe than some true criminals have received for worse offenses.

Rant over.
I think you nailed it with "I made the mistake of..." The first line on the government website with the guidelines for returning to Canada: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid?utm_c ... lsrc=aw.ds says:
Use ArriveCAN to submit your travel plans (mandatory)
Literally the first line.
Sarges46

Post by Sarges46 »

It depends where you start reading. I know all about it now that's for sure.

I've even got the app. You know what's the killer thriller here....the proof of vaccine is my BC vaccine card....that's the part that's so absurd about this....why is my card no good but your card is from the information from my card!
twofingers
Board Meister

Post by twofingers »

Were you at least able to grab some of Mari’s homemade tamales at Trino’s?
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

What are those of us without cell phones supposed to do?
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Merry wrote: Dec 2nd, 2021, 7:05 pm What are those of us without cell phones supposed to do?
This:
If you're not travelling with a smartphone or computer
Create an account, sign in to the web version of ArriveCAN, and submit your information up to 72 hours before you arrive in Canada. Take a screenshot or print your receipt and bring it with you when you travel. You can also sign in online from any computing device, like those found in Internet cafes or libraries.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Traveling across the border or taking a flight is a pile of hassles I just can’t be bothered with, this is just my personal opinion.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

We welcome the ability to cross the border, have been trying to deal with the estate and remains of a family member in the US and for more than the year the border has been effectively closed. We have as of this writing been crossing the border with quarantine and testing hassles, on a very limited basis, a few days ago it got much easier, now we jump through the Arrival hoops on our phones, even crossing the border to pick up machine parts not available in Canada.

Our neighbor has no cell phone, no computer, no computer skills, and no available local computer cafe with a computer literate assistant he can turn to to get him through the border, in short the border remains closed to many of us. While we are in favor of closely managing the border in the effort to keep us safe, we feel there should be a mechanism for non computer people to manage border crossing for them. Possibly an ATV type terminal at the border for the computer challenged.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Must have read a dozen stories about crossing the border for trips under 72 hours and the serious ISSUES people are having since November 30th.........initial articles or news stories DID NOT emphasize "ARRIVECAN" app at all HAD to be filled in .......NOW it is. The travelers are expected to be 100%, 100% of the time with something that our incompetent leadership has failed at.......add to that the incredible incompetence of WAY TOO MANY low IQ'd Canadian Border Service employee's who seem to be all over the map with the issue........some allowing travelers to fill it out at that time........others slapping on 14 day quarantines at the NEXT window. Border Services have too many issues getting their :cuss: together at the best of times.......power tripping is a big part of that job and accountability and consistency needs to be a part of all of it. Which politician has the ball$ to question the incompetence what goes on at the border way too many times?
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

I hear that many people are being given a very hard time at the border, people that I know have been falsely accused of criminal acts.
Most of the guards are good people, but there are a few power trippers. It does seem like if there is a power tripper at one crossing, all the guards there get infected by it, and start giving travellers more grief.
The answer...................... only cross when really necessary.
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

lesliepaul wrote: Dec 3rd, 2021, 10:12 pm Must have read a dozen stories about crossing the border for trips under 72 hours and the serious ISSUES people are having since November 30th.........initial articles or news stories DID NOT emphasize "ARRIVECAN" app at all HAD to be filled in .......NOW it is. The travelers are expected to be 100%, 100% of the time with something that our incompetent leadership has failed at.......add to that the incredible incompetence of WAY TOO MANY low IQ'd Canadian Border Service employee's who seem to be all over the map with the issue........some allowing travelers to fill it out at that time........others slapping on 14 day quarantines at the NEXT window. Border Services have too many issues getting their :cuss: together at the best of times.......power tripping is a big part of that job and accountability and consistency needs to be a part of all of it. Which politician has the ball$ to question the incompetence what goes on at the border way too many times?
Through YVR yesterday, home from Europe and a few others countries. Canada's got more issue's and confusion than anyone else and exactly right, biggest problem is employee's pushing their own beliefs onto the many of travelers. What I witnessed is the employee's themselves are all very unclear on the rules and requirements for travel. The Canadian air companies are very confused with the rules of the Canadian government. Many of the employee's are being very strong willed against traveler's and either do not understand the rules or are just pushing their own ignorance and beliefs.
Everyone needs to do their research and do not just listen to employee's.
Canada seems to be festering arrogance among its people.

Return to “Canada”