Pipeline to Coast to reopen

Whyme

Pipeline to Coast to reopen

Post by Whyme »

I find it amazing how two ideals conflict. One pipeline opens and fuel for vehicles more readily available. On the other side are those who want to close all pipelines. I heat with natural gas and enjoy a nice warm house. Others demanding we go to solar and wind. Do any of these have any reasonable idea of the cost of a solar or wind setup are? What about where they are made or what it costs to the environment to produce? In the 60s back to the land, guess how they heated their homes , wood. Wood for fuel for a city person out of the question. Put more clothes on , where and how are the clothes made? The transformation to this Nirvana
if possible which I personally doubt because everybody is never going to be on the same page.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Pipeline to Coast to reopen

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

In some ways this shutting down of the TMX was the best thing to ever happen to a pipeline.
Now everyone knows just how dependent we are on it.

And after the one under construction is finished then they start on replacing the current one.

Yes, demand for petroleum products will continue for a long, long time.

Git er done!
Last edited by Babba_not_Gump on Dec 5th, 2021, 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

^^^^^ :up: :up: :130:
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Try to imagine millions of people in electric cars trying to flee a Hurricane in Florida.
All stuck in a traffic jam and running out of power. :200:

Good luck in that scenario.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Bsuds wrote: Dec 5th, 2021, 2:33 pm Try to imagine millions of people in electric cars trying to flee a Hurricane in Florida.
All stuck in a traffic jam and running out of power.
Many with gas powered gen sets in the trunk...
nucksRnum1
Lord of the Board

Post by nucksRnum1 »

Yup. Which is good for all Canadians. That way we won't hear Alberta whining all the time. And creates royalties for the government.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

Reducing our dependency on fossil fuels is a good thing - and it will happen, but it'll take decades to achieve that. Until then, we need to ensure the delivery of fossil fuels in the safest and most efficient manner we can.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

OKkayak wrote: Dec 5th, 2021, 3:28 pm Reducing our dependency on fossil fuels is a good thing - and it will happen, but it'll take decades to achieve that. Until then, we need to ensure the delivery of fossil fuels in the safest and most efficient manner we can.
Come up with something better then EV, I am still leaning towards fuel cell.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

GordonH wrote: Dec 5th, 2021, 3:37 pm
EVs will be the go-to technology until we find something better, and we will. Large scale production FCVs have been around just as long as EVs have been, actually probably a bit longer, but they just don't seem to be gaining any traction. Not saying they can't eventually, but right now and for the near future, they'll be a more inconvenient option that EVs.

EVs are getting better, but the infrastructure (as it stands today) is where the argument between the two would go in favour towards EVs. FCV infrastructure is virtually non-existent, all the money is being pumped into EV infrastructure and it boils down to a Catch 22 scenario, money won't be pumped into infrastructure because there is no market for FCVs and there is no market for FCVs because there is no infrastructure for it.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Global emissions are down vs. 10 years ago. This is almost entirely as a result of natural gas replacing coal for electricity.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
spooker

Post by spooker »

Glacier wrote: Dec 5th, 2021, 10:54 pm Global emissions are down vs. 10 years ago. This is almost entirely as a result of natural gas replacing coal for electricity.
Do you have a source for your claim? Checked online with a couple of sites and didn't see anything like that ...
Screen Shot 2021-12-06 at 5.14.45 AM.png
https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/global ... sions-data
https://ourworldindata.org/greenhouse-gas-emissions

But hey, the flow is back ... let's all get back to sticking our head in the sand ...
Last edited by spooker on Dec 6th, 2021, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

spooker wrote: Dec 6th, 2021, 5:19 am But hey, the flow is back ... let's all get back to sticking out head in the sand ...
Perhaps snow might be a better analogy now. Glad the flow is starting up again, I think the Horgan government is as well, or some of them anyway.
It's been a bit of a wakeup regarding where the lower mainland's fuel comes from and the massive dependency they still have down there for liquid fuel.
Randall T
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Randall T »

GordonH wrote: Dec 5th, 2021, 3:37 pm
OKkayak wrote: Dec 5th, 2021, 3:28 pm Reducing our dependency on fossil fuels is a good thing - and it will happen, but it'll take decades to achieve that. Until then, we need to ensure the delivery of fossil fuels in the safest and most efficient manner we can.
Absolutely. EV's are the stepping stone to FCEV's. I won't be around to see that ultimate goal so I will settle for an EV. But with new and impressive battery technology, it's still better than vehicles running on dino juice. What a lot of people don't realize is that we still need oil for other things. It's not all about burning it up in internal combustion engines.
I birn quil I se
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

spooker wrote: Dec 6th, 2021, 5:19 am
But hey, the flow is back ... let's all get back to sticking out head in the sand ...
You suggest we lift our heads out of the sand, look at the TMX and say "deep six it"?

In other words, screw all those people dependent upon it.
That seems like a very self-centered outlook.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

At best, alternative energy might help off-set world population growth demand.
The root of the environmental problem is exponential world population growth.

Return to “B.C.”