Gun Control

Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Gun Control

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Liberal failure to recognize the real issue on full display.

Liberal Failure: Ideology Ahead of Evidence-Based Solutions on Illegal Guns

When a former federal prosecutor was appointed Minister of Public Safety, we hoped it might finally bring a shred of common sense to the ministry.

If Marco Mendicino’s recent comments in the House of Commons weren’t enough to disabuse us of that notion, the appointment of Pam Damoff as the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Public Safety most certainly was.

Pam Damoff’s visceral hatred for federally-licensed, RCMP-vetted firearms owners is well documented, but her comments before the House on December 1, 2021, surprised us.

She said, in part,

“Darian Hailey Henderson-Bellman, a young woman from Halton region, was shot and killed in an act of gender-based violence.”

Yes, but that is the tiniest part of the story. Here’s what Pam Damoff chose not to share with Canadians:

• An illegally possessed gun was used to murder Darian Hailey Henderson-Bellman on Tuesday, July 28, 2020.

• Darnell Reid, her alleged killer, was the subject of three separate Firearm Prohibition Orders and at least three separate No-Contact Orders.[ii]

• Darnell Reid repeatedly violated those orders in the 12 months prior to Darian Hailey Henderson-Bellman’s murder.

• Three separate weapons prohibition orders did not stop Darnell Reid from getting his hands on the illegal weapon he allegedly used to murder Henderson-Bellman.

• No law enforcement agency is tasked with checking on the 474,413 individuals currently prohibited from possessing firearms or other weapons.
[iii]

Peel Regional Police Chief Nishan Diraiappah was distraught when he heard of Darian Hailey Henderson-Bellman’s murder.[iv]

“The sadness I feel for the victim and her family is mixed with frustration for a complete failure of our justice system to protect her.

“This is such an egregious example of our justice system failing that young lady (and) failing our community. (Darnell Reid) was arrested for having a firearm and they let him back out again just recently. It’s unimaginable and so I want to continue advocating for bail reform.

“The Individual, who has now been charged with murder, breached his (bail) release on four different occasions… On the fifth, it was too late [for Darian Hailey Henderson-Bellman].”

snip

We fear, given recent rhetoric from both Mendicino and Damoff, that Liberal ideology will continue to trump evidence, reason and common sense – and violent criminals will continue to harass and kill innocent Canadians with impunity.

snip

Please write Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino and encourage him to repair our bail system for repeat violent offenders, and to fix our broken Firearm Prohibition Order (FPO) system. Addressing these two problems will solve 95 per cent of Canada’s public safety issues.

snip

https://cssa-cila.org/liberal-failure-i ... egal-guns/
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

Gone_Fishin wrote: Dec 8th, 2021, 6:20 am Liberal failure to recognize the real issue on full display.

Liberal Failure: Ideology Ahead of Evidence-Based Solutions on Illegal Guns

When a former federal prosecutor was appointed Minister of Public Safety, we hoped it might finally bring a shred of common sense to the ministry.

If Marco Mendicino’s recent comments in the House of Commons weren’t enough to disabuse us of that notion, the appointment of Pam Damoff as the Parliamentary Secretary to the Minister of Public Safety most certainly was.

Pam Damoff’s visceral hatred for federally-licensed, RCMP-vetted firearms owners is well documented, but her comments before the House on December 1, 2021, surprised us.

She said, in part,

“Darian Hailey Henderson-Bellman, a young woman from Halton region, was shot and killed in an act of gender-based violence.”

Yes, but that is the tiniest part of the story. Here’s what Pam Damoff chose not to share with Canadians:

• An illegally possessed gun was used to murder Darian Hailey Henderson-Bellman on Tuesday, July 28, 2020.

• Darnell Reid, her alleged killer, was the subject of three separate Firearm Prohibition Orders and at least three separate No-Contact Orders.[ii]

• Darnell Reid repeatedly violated those orders in the 12 months prior to Darian Hailey Henderson-Bellman’s murder.

• Three separate weapons prohibition orders did not stop Darnell Reid from getting his hands on the illegal weapon he allegedly used to murder Henderson-Bellman.

• No law enforcement agency is tasked with checking on the 474,413 individuals currently prohibited from possessing firearms or other weapons.
[iii]

Peel Regional Police Chief Nishan Diraiappah was distraught when he heard of Darian Hailey Henderson-Bellman’s murder.[iv]

“The sadness I feel for the victim and her family is mixed with frustration for a complete failure of our justice system to protect her.

“This is such an egregious example of our justice system failing that young lady (and) failing our community. (Darnell Reid) was arrested for having a firearm and they let him back out again just recently. It’s unimaginable and so I want to continue advocating for bail reform.

“The Individual, who has now been charged with murder, breached his (bail) release on four different occasions… On the fifth, it was too late [for Darian Hailey Henderson-Bellman].”

snip

We fear, given recent rhetoric from both Mendicino and Damoff, that Liberal ideology will continue to trump evidence, reason and common sense – and violent criminals will continue to harass and kill innocent Canadians with impunity.

snip

Please write Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino and encourage him to repair our bail system for repeat violent offenders, and to fix our broken Firearm Prohibition Order (FPO) system. Addressing these two problems will solve 95 per cent of Canada’s public safety issues.

snip

https://cssa-cila.org/liberal-failure-i ... egal-guns/
This case has failures at many levels, and ones that efforts are being made to correct. It is a complex story involving drugs, gangsta lifestyle, and many other factors. https://www.macleans.ca/news/five-shots ... em-failed/

The illegal firearms situation has police scrambling and there is little that politicians can do other than increase police capabilities, which they appear to be doing with more funding. https://www.cbc.ca/news/national-gun-tr ... -1.5126228

The overall problem with a judicial system and revolving doors is one that to be honest can only be solved by a constitutional change that would prevent namby-pamby nonsense by the courts. The answer to that is: fat chance. Plus the constitutional change would run the risk of creating a police state, so I don't think it could be done in good conscience.

If you look at the overall problem with illegal firearms is very complex, and simplistic nonsense and the abusing of tragic cases by gun advocates is offside. As is detailed in the CBC article, straw purchases and clandestine manufacturing are increasing problems. The spillover from the US - which is a country awash in guns and crazy dumb laisse faire laws - is pretty much inevitable. The real questions revolve around sub culture(s) that create the illegal market in the first place.

I won't pretend to have solutions for issues that drive people to addictive drugs. Certainly the push for more mental health care options will help. But the question why do people want to do drugs like heroin/fentanyl/meth is beyond my understanding.
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

It's tough to combat illegal firearms when Justin Trudeau gives gangs money to buy them on the black market.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Gun Control:

Do not follow Alec Baldwin's example. Do this, and we have perfect gun control.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
nepal
Übergod

Post by nepal »

Michael Moore’s, short video of US gun history.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

^^^ Bit silly and not completely accurate I believe.
The American 2nd amendment I thought came about from having a strong militia would deter any country from invading. This being a right to bear arms or whatever.
In Canada it is still a privilege to own a firearm, much like pretty much every other country in the world. Unfortunately the baddies did not get the memo so the good guys are starting to take the brunt of governments ineptitude.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

oldtrucker wrote: Jan 18th, 2022, 3:12 pm It should be a right for anyone that is over 21 and been a Canadian for 10 years to own a long gun.
I understand that many believe this, but my opinion owning a fire arm, should still be a privilege after taking a course and the cursory back ground check the RCMP do. A driving license is a privilege after taking a course and a graduated process( today) before you are let out on a road unencumbered by restrictions.

It would not surprise me in the least if there are a number in rural Canada that have guns in the house but have a lapsed or not at all a PAL. I know there are many young turds in Vancouver and Toronto that have restricted weapons without the accompanying licenses.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

Gun control is here to stay in Canada, and more control is coming due to its overwhelming popularity and effectiveness. Few Canadians want to move towards the horrendous dumpster fire of school shootings and gun-assisted domestic violence plaguing our neighbour to the south.

More access to guns is a losing issue for any political party in Canada, as Mr. O'Toole found as he flip-flopped his way through the last campaign trying to appease the gun nuts, while not horrifying the vast majority.

Res ipsa loquitur.

All posts 100% moderator approved!
mikest2
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mikest2 »

crookedmember wrote: Jan 18th, 2022, 4:35 pm Gun control is here to stay in Canada, and more control is coming due to its overwhelming popularity and effectiveness. Few Canadians want to move towards the horrendous dumpster fire of school shootings and gun-assisted domestic violence plaguing our neighbour to the south.

More access to guns is a losing issue for any political party in Canada, as Mr. O'Toole found as he flip-flopped his way through the last campaign trying to appease the gun nuts, while not horrifying the vast majority.

Res ipsa loquitur.

You would be wise to learn a whole lot more about the subject before spouting off.
Criminals with illegal firearms are the problem, so what do the brain trust (Liberals) do ?
They go after licensed, vetted, legal, law abiding firearms owners. At the same time they are abolishing minimum sentencing for firearm related crimes.
Perhaps you can explain how that makes sense, any sense at all, no hurry, I'll wait.

Edit to add:

In your own words, so we know that you have read and understood the existing firearm regulation in Canada:
a) Describe the steps required to obtain and possess a non-restricted firearm, and the description of a non-restricted firearm
b) Describe the steps required to obtain and possess a restricted firearm, and the description of a restricted firearm
c) Describe the steps required to obtain and possess a prohibited firearm, and the description of a prohibited firearm
d) A review of the regulation regarding the use, transportation, and storage of a, b, c
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

crookedmember wrote: Jan 18th, 2022, 4:35 pm and more control is coming due to its overwhelming...effectiveness.
You're absolutely right. More gun laws have been super-effective. They've prevented gang-related shootings in Kelowna, Surrey, Coquitlam, and Richmond. They've been just as effective as our drug laws have been at stemming the illicit trade in narcotics.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

crookedmember wrote: Jan 18th, 2022, 4:35 pm Gun control is here to stay in Canada, and more control is coming due to its overwhelming popularity and effectiveness. Few Canadians want to move towards the horrendous dumpster fire of school shootings and gun-assisted domestic violence plaguing our neighbour to the south.

Res ipsa loquitur.

Gun control laws have had absolutely zero effect on the area gangs and criminals get their choice of guns, the black market.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

The gun ban advocates just remind me of the three monkeys with their hands over their mouth, eyes, and ears.

All the logical reasons why gang shootings continue with illegal guns, falls on deaf ears and eyes.

The A-hat that orders and kills 6 in the apartment building a number of years ago; I really doubt if the guns used were licensed, legally obtained, legally stored or if the dickwads had obtained a conveying permit to transport the guns from their residence to the apartment.
Just some of the things LAW abiding gun owners recognize and respect or they will have consequences they don't want to face.
Maybe respect for the law so they can carry on with their hobby or sport or passion...
Trudope is virtue signaling to the ill informed.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

seewood wrote: Jan 18th, 2022, 8:21 pm The gun ban advocates just remind me of the three monkeys with their hands over their mouth, eyes, and ears.

All the logical reasons why gang shootings continue with illegal guns, falls on deaf ears and eyes.

The A-hat that orders and kills 6 in the apartment building a number of years ago; I really doubt if the guns used were licensed, legally obtained, legally stored or if the dickwads had obtained a conveying permit to transport the guns from their residence to the apartment.
Just some of the things LAW abiding gun owners recognize and respect or they will have consequences they don't want to face.
Maybe respect for the law so they can carry on with their hobby or sport or passion...
:up: :up:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

These "illegal gang guns" you guys speak of are simply guns stolen during home or store break-ins and whatnot.

Or do you think these "illegal guns" just appear out of nowhere?

The more guns in homes, the more guns get stolen, the more "illegal guns."

This isn't rocket science.

But don't worry. Your chance of getting shot in Canada is really, really low. Gang members don't want to shoot you.

If your spouse had a gun, he or she might, though.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

seewood wrote: Jan 18th, 2022, 8:21 pm The gun ban advocates just remind me of the three monkeys with their hands over their mouth, eyes, and ears.

:up: :up: :up:
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson

Return to “Canada”