Divorce Lawyer

Business and professional recommendations.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Divorce Lawyer

Post by Bsuds »

It's all backwards.

We should make getting married expensive and a divorce cheap.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
The_quiet_one
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by The_quiet_one »

People need to realize it’s basically 50/50. No one should get more than the other.
Don’t split the kids, even if you hate you spouse, the kids still need both parents. Slimy lawyers should be bared.
People need to grow up, and move on.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

alanjh595 wrote: Jan 2nd, 2022, 10:18 am

I know a few great divorce Lawyers, but again there is money to be made on people's angst.
Do you (meant in the royal sense) know why divorce is so expensive?

Sometimes it's cheaper to keep her!!! Just saying... although I agree.

Because it's worth it.
[/quote]
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

The_quiet_one wrote: Jan 2nd, 2022, 11:41 am People need to realize it’s basically 50/50. No one should get more than the other.
Don’t split the kids, even if you hate you spouse, the kids still need both parents. Slimy lawyers should be bared.
The part I feel that bites is, I may own a home. She moves in after married and she is later entitled to 50%.

Why, that is just not right.

Then toss in those who are gay and think well I'll get married as I'm unsure.

Isn't that entering into a contract which marriage is, and doing so under falsehood and deceit?

If you bought into a company, the Judge would agree if you falsely represented your self and your interests!
Last edited by Ken7 on Jan 2nd, 2022, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

oldtrucker wrote: Jan 2nd, 2022, 11:49 am ^^^ You sure? I thought now any assets acquired prior to the relationship are off the table.
I'm certain matrimonial property is 50/50....I'll check.

Pensions, they do a evaluation on contribution and growth while cohabitating.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/life ... y-property

You are correct....if home was acquired prior to.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Ken7 wrote: Jan 2nd, 2022, 11:50 am
oldtrucker wrote: Jan 2nd, 2022, 11:49 am ^^^ You sure? I thought now any assets acquired prior to the relationship are off the table.
I'm certain matrimonial property is 50/50....I'll check.

Pensions, they do a evaluation on contribution and growth while cohabitating.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/life ... y-property

You are correct....if home was acquired prior to.
I agree with OT. Anything acquired after 6 months of cohabitation becomes communal property, as both have contributed to it's purchase.
Bring back the LIKE button.
The_quiet_one
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by The_quiet_one »

Ken7 wrote: Jan 2nd, 2022, 11:47 am
The_quiet_one wrote: Jan 2nd, 2022, 11:41 am People need to realize it’s basically 50/50. No one should get more than the other.
The part I feel that bites is, I may own a home. She moves in after married and she is later entitled to 50%.

Why, that is just not right.

Then toss in those who are gay and think well I'll get married as I'm unsure.

Isn't that entering into a contract which marriage is, and doing so under falsehood and deceit?

If you bought into a company, the Judge would agree if you falsely represented your self and your interests!
I think it’s only the time you spent together is half and half. Not the whole thing. I’ve only. Even married and divorced once and live with myself. I know a guy though who moved into a ladies home and fought tooth and nail to get half of everything. He had a “proposal” for me, as in “roommates”, and nope, nada. No thanx. I think it’s greedy and vindictive how some people get.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

^^ I'm so sorry that you had to deal with a dick of a lawyer and a dick of ex husband QuietOne...I agree it should be 50/50 if it's a long term marriage and you brought children into it...AND never turn the kids against one parent...that's just mean and nasty...and only hurts the kids...I know one person who did that and it backed fired on them...once the kids became old enough they moved right back in with their mom..

as for second marriages, get a bloody pre nup !! if you don't than that's just stupid..

I laugh at all those idiot men out there who do get married for a second or third time but decide that they will "buy" themselves another wife from a different country and then in a few yrs when she dumps them and walks away with half or more sometimes they are shocked..lol it's happening right now to a friend of ours..bought himself a young pretty wife ( he's 15 yrs older and looks it) built her a beautiful home in her country, brand new vehicle etc ( he makes big $$) and she decided that her "love" for him is dead because her Family hates him now ?? they didn't hate him when he made all their lives easier, but now they can't stand him...you cannot buy love...and if you have to resort to thinking that you can, then you need to have a word with yourself..
The_quiet_one
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by The_quiet_one »

^^^
Thank you for your kind words 🙂. That’s very nice.

I hope no one ever has to go through anything like I did. Two very narcissistic, evil men.

That’s horrible! I don’t know how people can do things like that. I couldn’t imagine screwing someone over.
I’m not sure if I’ll ever get married again. I doubt it. Having a friend would be nice, though.
Having my own place is comforting.

I feel bad for your friend. 😞
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

The_quiet_one wrote: Jan 2nd, 2022, 12:13 pm. I think it’s greedy and vindictive how some people get.
:up: :up:

There should be a mandatory listing of everything both parties own going into a marriage.

Then if and when it breaks up you leave with the same things and 50% of what was added while married.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
The_quiet_one
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by The_quiet_one »

Exactly, bsuds.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Sudsy, that's why you get a pre nup. Doesn't cost much, and if the person balks at doing it I strongly suggest you don't live together.
And yep, 6 months and they can go after everything you own.. so skipping marriage but living together for longer than 5 months isn't any insurance
But in the beginning it is all rose colored glasses and " they would never try to get my stuff"
flash forward to divorce
" I want his/her dreams too"
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
PoplarSoul
Guru

Post by PoplarSoul »

oldtrucker wrote: Jan 3rd, 2022, 9:29 am
normaM wrote: Jan 3rd, 2022, 8:39 am And yep, 6 months and they can go after everything you own..
Isn't it 2 years cohab to come into play in BC?
2 years for division of property or debt.
Less than 2 years for spousal support when a child is involved.
If you are common-law, you must have lived together for a minimum period of time to qualify as a spouse.

In order to be considered a spouse for the purposes of dividing property or debt you must have lived together in a marriage-like relationship for at least two years.

But if you are applying for spousal support, you are considered a spouse if you have lived together in a marriage-like relationship for less than two years and have a child together.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/life ...
"Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can transform the world." Howard Zinn
It's the simple things in life that brings joy.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

oldtrucker wrote: Jan 3rd, 2022, 9:41 am ^^^This really bleeps me off....Who is the one that defines the parameters of what a 'marriage like' relationship is these days or ever?
Example....A dominant (no matter the gender) has 2 bisexual submissives living with them for over 2 years....
Or another example... Two friends with 'very occasional benefits' are roommates for over 2 years to save money....something goes wrong and one of them says they had a 'marriage like' relationship to cash out on the other. They never shared a cent- no shared money or accounts.
Under those circumstances, it doesn't sound like either party has much to lose. (If they are sharing rent to save money)
Bring back the LIKE button.
The_quiet_one
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by The_quiet_one »

I would never enter into a plutonic relationship fwb relationship and live together. It’s not healthy and asking for trouble imo. It never works out and someone always gets hurt. It’s also a good way for getting out of spousal support. Let’s say the guy stays home to take care of the kid. Quits his job. When they split, he can’t get the same job and same income because his skills and hours have it used I used. He should get equal compensation for living income. They both benefitted to him staying home and taking care of the home and kid while she worked outside the home.

Return to “Referrals”