my5cents
Guru

Family in need of support after crash

Post by my5cents »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... ork#356575

? What ?

• "Tally and Jemima Murray, a Kelowna family"
• "injuries to mon and dad in a motor vehicle collision on the Coquihalla"
• "Jemima Murray's dad started a GoFundMe to help cover medal costs and time away from work. "Right now my husband is off work for at least three months and we don't know what my recovery plan is at this point."
• Due to the couples work situation, they have no benefits to help cover any medical expenses.

So, from the story, the family lives in BC. Presumable they were in a BC registered and insured vehicle and being residents of BC the driver was the holder of a BC driver's license.

We all pay fairly substantial ICBC premiums so everyone in BC that lives in the home of someone who has a BC DL or a BC registered vehicle has No Fault coverage for wage loss, medical treatments and rehabilitation.

They want $15,000 to cover wage loss and medical ??????

Nice touch, the photo with the kids.....
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Family in need of support after crash

Post by Glacier »

Sad situation, and I won't touch the gofundme hot potato with a 10 foot pole right now.

All I will do is say that you must be very, very careful when caught in an accident, and especially when you discover an accident. I worked with a guy who was taking his family down the coast a few years back. The Coq was icy, and they came across an accident, so he and his wife got out on the ice to see if the people needed help.

Ice means cars coming down behind them could not stop... so two young children lost 1 parent and almost another that day right in front of their eyes.
Last edited by Glacier on Jan 10th, 2022, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
maggiedoon

Post by maggiedoon »

What an awful thing for this young family to be going through. Hopefully they have family and friends that can lend some support to help them get through this.

That said, isnt ICBC covering their wage loss and any medical expenses and treatments? Possibly an EI claim for illness could help a bit too.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

maggiedoon wrote: Jan 10th, 2022, 2:49 pm What an awful thing for this young family to be going through. Hopefully they have family and friends that can lend some support to help them get through this.

That said, isnt ICBC covering their wage loss and any medical expenses and treatments? Possibly an EI claim for illness could help a bit too.
That was my point of starting the topic.

The father in law is claiming they need help desperately as though they have no options, no medical, no wage lose, nothing.

The reporter just regurgitates the story and it is presented. What about asking why ICBC isn't an option for medical and wage loss ?
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It can take a long time to get any help from insurance companies.

It shouldn't but it does. So what do they do in the interim?
I might look normal but believe me, I talk to animals and wait for them to reply.
bb49
Guru

Post by bb49 »

Glacier wrote: Jan 10th, 2022, 1:49 pm Sad situation, and I won't touch the gofundme hot potato with a 10 foot pole right now.

All I will do is say that you must be very, very careful when caught in an accident, and especially when you discover an accident. I worked with a guy who was taking his family down the coast a few years back. The Coq was icy, and they came across an accident, so he and his wife got out on the ice to see if the people needed help.

Ice means cars coming down behind them could not stop... so two young children lost 1 parent and almost another that day right in front of their eyes.
I recall that accident.
My daughter was driving by just as it happened, but it was so chaotic she was afraid to stop and help. And she had kids with her.

I am a bit puzzled with this though.
Due to the couples work situation, they have no benefits to help cover any medical expenses.
I_am_a_Canadian (with unacceptable views)
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Bsuds wrote: Jan 10th, 2022, 3:49 pm It can take a long time to get any help from insurance companies.

All medical bills are usually billed to ICBC regardless of work status, they don't have to pay them and get money later.

May be some medical related expenses like taxis?
Last edited by Even Steven on Jan 10th, 2022, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

bb49 wrote: Jan 10th, 2022, 4:05 pm
I am a bit puzzled with this though.
Due to the couples work situation, they have no benefits to help cover any medical expenses.
Self employed or unemployed?
I might look normal but believe me, I talk to animals and wait for them to reply.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Even Steven wrote: Jan 10th, 2022, 4:09 pm
Bsuds wrote: Jan 10th, 2022, 3:49 pm It can take a long time to get any help from insurance companies.

All medical bills are usually billed to ICBC regardless of work status, they don't have to pay them and get money later.

May be some medical related expenses like taxis?
I was thinking more of living expenses.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Bsuds wrote: Jan 10th, 2022, 4:10 pm Self employed or unemployed?
If there is a wage, employed or self employed it's insurable. As far as medical is concerned it's covered, job or no job, MSP or no MSP. That's why every time you get a test at the hospital they ask if it's Worker's Comp, ICBC or not. Anyway, nobody in BC is left un-treated because of an inability to pay.

My wife just read the Go-Fund-Me,,, the old man (father in law) really laid it on thick.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I think your missing my point that getting any living expenses from insurance companies can be difficult and take time.
Silverstarqueen
Buddha of the Board

Post by Silverstarqueen »

If the couple was hypothetically unemployed, then insurance would not cover lost wages, as there wouldn't be any?
I can't quite figure out what that one statement means either.
GordonH
Grumpy Old Bleep

Post by GordonH »

Those who want to support this Family do so, those who don’t just ignore article completely.

It’s pretty damn simple.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
birdsarentreal.com
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Bsuds wrote: Jan 10th, 2022, 4:52 pm I think your missing my point that getting any living expenses from insurance companies can be difficult and take time.
Things are a bit different now with the new No Fault system.

No fault pays "wage loss", not "living expenses" semantics perhaps. ICBC pays 90% of your net insurable income based on a maximum gross annual insurable income of $100,000.

They pay for medical care, no limit, plus all sorts of therapy.

They also, I believe provide an allowance for someone who is a care giver, who can't execute their duties.

Being that, "No Fault" is contractual it's not something ICBC can renege on paying without a major reason. If they don't pay, according to their contract of insurance with the insured, they get into a civil situation called "Bad Faith" and no insurance company wants that.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

GordonH wrote: Jan 10th, 2022, 5:42 pm Those who want to support this Family do so, those who don’t just ignore article completely.

It’s pretty damn simple.
But isn't that the thing, we are, with our insurance premiums.

Return to “Health”