A Heads Up About The US Border

rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: A Heads Up About The US Border

Post by rustled »

seewood wrote: Jan 7th, 2022, 6:24 pm
rustled wrote: Jan 7th, 2022, 5:55 pm (Bit off topic, but is Betta's still in the same location?
Yes, same location. I went in the back/side door off the alley. Bit of a pony wall up that offers half the space as what once was.

Few packages there, $4.00 usd per box.
:up: :130:
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

Wife just crossed the border, was in the US for less than 30 minutes picking up some packages.
Border guy went ballistic, insisting that the current rule about no pcr testing for short term crossings, was intended for the flood victims. Made her sit in her car for a total of 1/2 an hour, berated her, had a guy from Health Canada call her, stuck her with a home covid kit, on the pretence that she did not meet the conditions that state "for goods and services". This particular border guy loves to make people aware that he has all the chips in the border crossing game.

Wife is currently talking to BC health who are agreeing with her, that she does not need the pcr test.
Last edited by I Think on Jan 11th, 2022, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

We live in interesting times.

A world gone completely mad.

:200:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
sobrohusfat
Guru

Post by sobrohusfat »

I Think wrote: Jan 11th, 2022, 4:17 pm Border guy went ballistic...
Canadian border guy right?

US guy no problem ?
The adventure continues...

No good story ever started with; "So i stayed home."
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

sobrohusfat wrote: Jan 11th, 2022, 11:55 pm Canadian border guy right?

US guy no problem ?
In my case, US fellow was great, no issues.
Canadian guy pretty much the same, did tell me the PCR exemption was for essential travel and was a run to Betta's essential.
This exemption is set to expire on the 20th the CBSA fellow said. If so, then a negative PCR test is required to get back into Canada after that date, regardless of the time away.

One thing about the US and CBSA border employees manning the check kiosks, they are a force unto themselves. They pretty much have as much discretion as they want to give to anyone crossing and we have to suck it up.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

A DIRECT COPY OF THE CANADIAN BORDER SERVICE MEMO:
Given the ongoing situation in British Columbia, certain fully vaccinated B.C. residents will not have to take a pre-entry COVID-19 molecular test before coming back to Canada. This refers to residents:
• who must travel to the U.S. by land to access or purchase goods or services, and
• who are absent from Canada for no more than 24 hours.
The exemption also applies to unvaccinated children under 12 years of age entering with one of their fully vaccinated parents, step-parents, guardians or tutors and a person with a contraindication to vaccination.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If they had intended to mean that it was for flood victims, they would have said so.
As Seewood says the border officers have the power of kings and you have to kow tow to them. We got nailed by the bully pulpit guy yesterday, he was trying to make himself feel good by making life miserable for a 75 year old lady.
crookedmember
Banned

Post by crookedmember »

I Think wrote: Jan 11th, 2022, 4:17 pm Wife just crossed the border, was in the US for less than 30 minutes picking up some packages.
Border guy went ballistic, insisting that the current rule about no pcr testing for short term crossings, was intended for the flood victims. Made her sit in her car for a total of 1/2 an hour, berated her, had a guy from Health Canada call her, stuck her with a home covid kit, on the pretence that she did not meet the conditions that state "for goods and services". This particular border guy loves to make people aware that he has all the chips in the border crossing game.

Wife is currently talking to BC health who are agreeing with her, that she does not need the pcr test.
I think most reasonable people understood that this was an emergency rule to help people truly impacted by storms, flooding, and low gas supplies . . .

. . . and not something to give people carte blanche to zip over the border to pick up their Etsy packages.

Officers on both sides of the border are given a lot of discretion for very valid reasons.

Your wife unfortunately fell into the "bleeped around, and found out" category.
All posts 100% moderator approved!
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

I Think wrote: Jan 12th, 2022, 8:13 am A DIRECT COPY OF THE CANADIAN BORDER SERVICE MEMO:
Given the ongoing situation in British Columbia, certain fully vaccinated B.C. residents will not have to take a pre-entry COVID-19 molecular test before coming back to Canada. This refers to residents:
• who must travel to the U.S. by land to access or purchase goods or services, and
• who are absent from Canada for no more than 24 hours.
The exemption also applies to unvaccinated children under 12 years of age entering with one of their fully vaccinated parents, step-parents, guardians or tutors and a person with a contraindication to vaccination.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If they had intended to mean that it was for flood victims, they would have said so.
As Seewood says the border officers have the power of kings and you have to kow tow to them. We got nailed by the bully pulpit guy yesterday, he was trying to make himself feel good by making life miserable for a 75 year old lady.
I suppose they're looking at the word I've bolded and underlined.

IMO, that one word puts the CBS officer in the position of having to determine whether or not a person had to cross the border to purchase goods or services, or simply chose to.

I guess we'll wait until the rule changes.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

crookedmember wrote: Jan 12th, 2022, 8:59 am
I Think wrote: Jan 11th, 2022, 4:17 pm Wife just crossed the border, was in the US for less than 30 minutes picking up some packages.

I think most reasonable people understood that this was an emergency rule to help people truly impacted by storms, flooding, and low gas supplies . . .

. . . and not something to give people carte blanche to zip over the border to pick up their Etsy packages.

Officers on both sides of the border are given a lot of discretion for very valid reasons.

Sloppily written rules & laws are fodder for the Lawyers.
Other posters here are crossing easily in Osoyoos and other crossings. Border crossing guards are in a job where if the guard is a bully he/she can have a hay day.
The border rules need to be universal, not tailored to suit the disposition of the officer.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I Think wrote: Jan 12th, 2022, 9:34 am The border rules need to be universal, not tailored to suit the disposition of the officer.
Exactly. Talked with one Cdn Border person who told us that some of them don't even read the daily rules that can change and just do as they please.

That was regarding different foods coming back from the US.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

I Think wrote: Jan 12th, 2022, 9:34 am
crookedmember wrote: Jan 12th, 2022, 8:59 am

Sloppily written rules & laws are fodder for the Lawyers.
Other posters here are crossing easily in Osoyoos and other crossings. Border crossing guards are in a job where if the guard is a bully he/she can have a hay day.
The border rules need to be universal, not tailored to suit the disposition of the officer.
Laws are not made just for one person
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

I have said the same thing for decades.........the bar is LOW to be employed with Canada Customs, always has been. Back in the late 80's a friend was at a "nice" party with his wife and her co-workers. The ONE :cuss: hole at this party was a customs agent who was holding court with stories how hilarious it was when they did "strip searches"........."women crying, kids crying". This was all a joke to the fellow doing the bragging. It wasn't long after that brag fest that this fellow was doing the crying and answering the question......."who's the tough guy now?" to my friend.

Karma has a way of evening things out..........
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

A commrnt on the dysfunction of the border control, one of the border people decided to announce that the mandatory vaccination requirement for cross border truckers had been waived.
Head office came out today saying that the mandate remains in effect.
Some of the border guys are so lazy that they do not bother reading the Memo's that are sent out when rules change, with the net effect that the rules are whatever the border guy says they are.
Clipper

Post by Clipper »

Gets even better
Went down to Osoyoos border orfice and parked on the Kanada side ; walked toward the orfice and two armed ladies came out to meet me. COOL, I have protection.
Explained to them I would like to cross to Oroville and pick up freight. They asked what it is so I explained that it's a part for an antique lathe, nothing commercial, can't eat it etc..
They asked if I was planning on shopping and I replied no. They responded, no problem as long as it's there and back.
So I boogie down to 98844 pay my $10 and head for the border. I was gone 20 minutes.
Guy in the kiosk says"have your PCR test"? :swear: Doesnt ask for passport, loaded handgun under the seat, 20K cash, nadda..THE TEST, I WANNA SEE THE TEST!!
I told him his accomplises said I don't need the test and he proceded to read me "The Law". threatened me with a fine, etc, etc
So, I ended up with a Home Test to play with. Ony problem is it has a number on; betcha it's connected to my passport number so I better not fudge it. Might be able to swap it for my semi annual poop on a stick test!
Maybe send it to Les Liberals in Ottawa? [icon_lol2.gif]
Clipper

Post by Clipper »

Jan 14
same thing this morning. Mind passing on the BC Health phone number/contact?
Thanks

Return to “Canada”