Here we go again - another terror attack

RupertBear
Übergod

Re: Here we go again - another terror attack

Post by RupertBear »

+++ wrote: Jan 13th, 2022, 4:15 pm
nucksRnum1 wrote: Jan 13th, 2022, 4:10 pm I hope that the oath keepers turn on their shadow leaders Stone and Bannon among others. Then there can be real justice. Bankrupting these organizations was a step in the right direction.
I'd hope to people could answer why you think they let terrorists live their lives for a full year plotting whatever they could when the evidence for a single charge was there the entire time but we all can't get what we wish for can we?

Grandma walking into Capitol: 6 months solitary .

Dude who "organized it": an entire year free.

Please, explain your personal thoughts on this.
Here's my take.
Grandma is a small fish in the insurrection pond. She was there because she got caught up in the big lie about the stolen election. She probably has no idea who the real organizers were, she just got caught up in the moment and now regrets it.
The insurrection organizers were being allowed to roam free, because they would likely lead the authorities to more of the bigger fish.
You can bet that the authorities knew exactly where he was at any given moment. With surveillance and phone/text tapping, they will know who he is talking to, where they are talking and what they are talking about. This will definitely help the authorities broaden the net and bring in more and bigger bad guys.
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

+++ wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 9:52 am
foenix wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 9:10 am

It matters that the DOJ has a solid case against him and that takes time.
So you wouldn't mind a person that's labeled a terrorist walking around. Sounds like he isn't a terrorist then.

Again for clarity, the FBI had been sitting on these messages for months while people were screaming they are terrorists, people saying it's a threat to democracy. Do you think the FBI should have let a terrorist walk around for an entire year, despite having all of his messages saying he planned a terrorist attack, yes or no?
Might want to check the word, "labeled". I'm sure calling him one and convicting him with sedition is not the same. yes or no?
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

RupertBear wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 10:22 am
+++ wrote: Jan 13th, 2022, 4:15 pm

I'd hope to people could answer why you think they let terrorists live their lives for a full year plotting whatever they could when the evidence for a single charge was there the entire time but we all can't get what we wish for can we?

Grandma walking into Capitol: 6 months solitary .

Dude who "organized it": an entire year free.

Please, explain your personal thoughts on this.
Here's my take.
Grandma is a small fish in the insurrection pond. She was there because she got caught up in the big lie about the stolen election. She probably has no idea who the real organizers were, she just got caught up in the moment and now regrets it.
The insurrection organizers were being allowed to roam free, because they would likely lead the authorities to more of the bigger fish.
You can bet that the authorities knew exactly where he was at any given moment. With surveillance and phone/text tapping, they will know who he is talking to, where they are talking and what they are talking about. This will definitely help the authorities broaden the net and bring in more and bigger bad guys.
What do you think of giving her 6 months in solitary for what she did while caught up in the moment? Appropriate punishment?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
RupertBear
Übergod

Post by RupertBear »

rustled wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 10:24 am

Here's my take.
What do you think of giving her 6 months in solitary for what she did while caught up in the moment? Appropriate punishment?
Without having followed that specific case, I don't know what she was accused of doing, so I don't have an opinion on whether the punishment was appropriate or not.
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

RupertBear wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 10:29 am
Without having followed that specific case, I don't know what she was accused of doing, so I don't have an opinion on whether the punishment was appropriate or not.
6 months for being involved in terrorism against their own country is a slap on the wrist. Anyone charged with conspiracy does not have to commit any act , they just have to be involved in anyway. grama was involved by being with that crowd. case closed
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

rustled wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 10:24 am What do you think of giving her 6 months in solitary for what she did while caught up in the moment? Appropriate punishment?
People don't get sentenced to solitary confinement (at least not in Canada and I've never heard of it in the US) .
They get placed in solitary confinement due to behavioral issues inside the institution.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Here's my take.

Which grandma are we talking about? Please provide a link to this wild and unsubstantiated story......because this grandma just got a slap on the wrist......

Capitol Rioters Are Breathing a Sigh of Relief After Slap on Wrist for Grandma
A middle-aged Indiana grandmother who referred to storming the Capitol with thousands of MAGA rioters on Jan. 6 as the “best day ever” became the first insurrectionist to be sentenced for her crime on Wednesday.

By all accounts, it was a slap on the wrist that offered hope for hundreds of rioters to get off easy...........

Anna Morgan-Lloyd, a 49-year-old from Bloomfield, was sentenced to three years of probation after pleading guilty to one misdemeanor count of parading, demonstrating, or picketing in a Capitol building. D.C. District Judge Royce C. Lambert also sentenced Morgan-Lloyd to 120 hours of community service and ordered she pay a $500 fee for her crime, stating that the grandmother received a lower sentence because of her immense remorse for her crimes.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/capitol-r ... -of-relief
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Ka-El wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 10:43 am
rustled wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 10:24 am What do you think of giving her 6 months in solitary for what she did while caught up in the moment? Appropriate punishment?
People don't get sentenced to solitary confinement (at least not in Canada and I've never heard of it in the US) .
They get placed in solitary confinement due to behavioral issues inside the institution.
Interesting.

In reality:
After Jan. 6, Washington, D.C., jail officials decided that all Capitol riot detainees be held in “restrictive housing” as a safety measure for the accused. However, the accused found themselves in solitary confinement 23 hours a day before their trials even started.

"I do not believe in solitary confinement for extended periods of time for anyone,” Warren, a Massachusetts senator and former Harvard Law School professor, said of the Jan. 6 rioters when asked by the Washington Examiner.
Casey, a Pennsylvania Democrat, who says he wants to look into the issue further said, “Obviously, in any instance, I think solitary confinement is concerning.” Republicans also objected to the treatment of the jailed Jan. 6 rioters.

The American Civil Liberties Union, which has recently drawn criticism for favoring liberal causes over its tradition of representing unsympathetic clients and causes, is also weighing in on the side of Trump protesters being held alone.

"Prolonged solitary confinement is torture and certainly should not be used as a punitive tool to intimidate or extract cooperation. We're pleased to see that message is getting through to Senators," Tammie Gregg, deputy director of the ACLU National Prison Project, told the Washington Examiner in a statement.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... onfinement
“Solitary confinement is a form of punishment that is cruel and psychologically damaging,” Warren said in an interview. “And we’re talking about people who haven’t been convicted of anything yet.” https://www.politico.com/news/2021/04/1 ... ren-483125
I don't know which of the prisoners they're concerned about (if any) is the grandmother referred to earlier. Good on Warren, here.

How quickly some progressives are to set aside their morals, principles and values for partisan purposes.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Was the granny that got probation in "solitary"?
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Couldn't be this one, looks like she was released after only three months:
https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2 ... 248209001/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/le ... story.html
Do you think holding her in solitary pre-trial was warranted?
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Wawawa....you do the crime, don't be surprised the punishment dealt out merits the crime.....
Most of the 300-plus people charged with participating in the Jan. 6 Capitol riot have been released while they await trial, but dozens of those deemed to be dangerous, flight risks or at high risk of obstructing justice were ordered held without bond. D.C. jail officials later determined that all Capitol detainees would be placed in so-called restrictive housing — a move billed as necessary to keep the defendants safe, as well as guards and other inmates. But that means 23-hour-a-day isolation for the accused, even before their trials begin.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

rustled wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 11:06 am

Couldn't be this one, looks like she was released after only three months:
https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2 ... 248209001/
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/le ... story.html
Do you think holding her in solitary pre-trial was warranted?
Wow.....kinda strangely like the "woke" from the right [icon_lol2.gif]
According to federal prosecutors, Eisenhart said she'd rather die than "live under oppression." She viewed herself as a part of a new revolution, she told a Sunday Times reporter.

"Same as our forefathers, who established this country in 1776," she told the outlet. "I’d rather die as a 57-year-old woman than live under oppression. I’d rather die and would rather fight.”

Frensley said "maybe 'fighting and dying' is more hyperbole" and that the word "fight" has multiple connotations.

“Not when you say you’re willing to fight and die, no, your honor," prosecutor Joshua A. Kurtzman answered. "She has told the public she is willing to fight at any cost, and she would prefer that than living under the current system. I am just asking the court to believe her.”
Sounds to me like a potential killer grandma.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

rustled wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 10:55 am In reality:
After Jan. 6, Washington, D.C., jail officials decided that all Capitol riot detainees be held in “restrictive housing” as a safety measure for the accused. However, the accused found themselves in solitary confinement 23 hours a day before their trials even started.
Maximum security and/or restrictive housing are not the same thing as solitary confinement, although in practice they might come close. Nothing partisan about my post and I don't know enough about the specific case to comment on why this person was put on restrictive housing. Just providing the information that it is not the same thing as solitary confinement as that is a measure used by institutions to deal with internal behavioral issues.
rustled wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 10:55 am
"Prolonged solitary confinement is torture and certainly should not be used as a punitive tool to intimidate or extract cooperation. We're pleased to see that message is getting through to Senators," Tammie Gregg, deputy director of the ACLU National Prison Project, told the Washington Examiner in a statement.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... onfinement

The same issue has come up in Canada
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Ka-El wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 11:15 am
rustled wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 10:55 am In reality:
Maximum security and/or restrictive housing are not the same thing as solitary confinement, although in practice they might come close.
Split hairs all you like, Ka-El. That's what it is:
the accused found themselves in solitary confinement 23 hours a day before their trials even started.
"I do not believe in solitary confinement for extended periods of time for anyone,” Warren, a Massachusetts senator and former Harvard Law School professor, said of the Jan. 6 rioters when asked by the Washington Examiner.
Casey, a Pennsylvania Democrat, who says he wants to look into the issue further said, “Obviously, in any instance, I think solitary confinement is concerning.”
Solitary confinement is a form of punishment that is cruel and psychologically damaging,” Warren said in an interview. “And we’re talking about people who haven’t been convicted of anything yet.”
So we're talking about solitary confinement. The appropriateness of holding these accused in solitary confinement for 6 months.
Ka-El wrote:Nothing partisan about my post and I don't know enough about the specific case to comment on why this person was put on restrictive housing. Just providing the information that it is not the same thing as solitary confinement as that is a measure used by institutions to deal with internal behavioral issues.
Cloak it whatever you wish, it certainly smacks of partisanship when anyone who claims to be a progressive is unable to say a blanket policy of holding a specific group of people in solitary confinement for 6 months pre-trial is wrong.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

It's a bit ironic that the right is making a point using the "woke" left ......a bit hypocritical and funny at the same time.

Return to “World”