Mayor Vas is going to run again

JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Re: Mayor Vas is going to run again

Post by JagXKR »

Stupid or not Miller opposed the bike lane or did I get that wrong?
As for conflict of interest, the others on council have none? Vaseline stood up to Eby because of the heartfelt love for the citizens of Penticton or was it that he owned property near the Victory Church?
Great job standing up to Eby with no ulterior motive. Sure that's what it was ....right...sure...mmmhmm. :135:
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

JagXKR wrote: Jan 13th, 2022, 10:12 pm Stupid or not Miller opposed the bike lane or did I get that wrong?
A vote based on a single issue is, IMO, a wasted vote. Particularly when that issue is unlikely to matter much the next voting cycle.
JagXKR wrote:As for conflict of interest, the others on council have none? Vaseline stood up to Eby because of the heartfelt love for the citizens of Penticton or was it that he owned property near the Victory Church?
Great job standing up to Eby with no ulterior motive. Sure that's what it was ....right...sure...mmmhmm. :135:
If we're talking ulterior motives, Miller would have gained more clicks by stirring up greater opposition to the bike lane than by supporting it. It's the worst thing about his involvement at the local paper - his willingness to stir up opposition to sell papers. That doesn't suddenly go away when he's doing it to buy votes.

Ulterior motive or not, Vassilaki stood up to Eby on an issue of significant long-term consequence to the people of Penticton. (Kind of "the enemy of our enemy is our friend.")
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

rustled wrote: Jan 13th, 2022, 11:09 pm [A vote based on a single issue is, IMO, a wasted vote. Particularly when that issue is unlikely to matter much the next voting cycle.
Ulterior motive or not, Vassilaki stood up to Eby on an issue of significant long-term consequence to the people of Penticton. (Kind of "the enemy of our enemy is our friend.")
Is that not a single issue? So not good for me because it's a single issue but ok for you because it's a single issue. :135:
Also the enemy of enemy can also go to the person against MILLLIONS of dollars wasted for the bike lane.
It works both ways.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

JagXKR wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 6:49 am
rustled wrote: Jan 13th, 2022, 11:09 pm [A vote based on a single issue is, IMO, a wasted vote. Particularly when that issue is unlikely to matter much the next voting cycle.
Is that not a single issue? So not good for me because it's a single issue but ok for you because it's a single issue. :135:
Also the enemy of enemy can also go to the person against MILLLIONS of dollars wasted for the bike lane.
It works both ways.
It's generally no good for anyone, IMO, to vote based on a single issue - so no, not ok for me, either.

Standing up to a provincial representative that's overriding what the community wants is a single issue of far more consequence to the people of Penticton than the bike lane, expensive though that bike lane may be. Not enough of us were vocal enough during the consultation phase on that, so now we live with the consequences.

Standing up against Eby's overreach is not the only issue on which I agree with Vassilaki, though. Over all, he has done a reasonable job. I've certainly not found him to be the consistently corrosive force in our community Miller has been.

Comparing the two as potential candidates in a mayoral campaign, I find a substantial net deficit in Miller's commitment to the community that cannot be erased by his choice to protest the bike lane.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

JagXKR wrote: Jan 13th, 2022, 10:12 pm
As for conflict of interest, the others on council have none? Vaseline stood up to Eby because of the heartfelt love for the citizens of Penticton or was it that he owned property near the Victory Church?
Half almost half of Penticton owns property "near" the Victory Church. Our city isn't that big, and it is pretty dense around Victory Church downtown.
So as a citizen of Penticton, who lives near the Victory Church, I thought it was a great job as he helped protect my property.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

soupy wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 8:04 am Half almost half of Penticton owns property "near" the Victory Church. Our city isn't that big, and it is pretty dense around Victory Church downtown.
So as a citizen of Penticton, who lives near the Victory Church, I thought it was a great job as he helped protect my property.
Isn't that nice. But the problem just got moved it did not disappear. Now the problem has been shifted closer to MY property. But of course you don't care that I may now have the issues.
Great job standing up to Eby, though no real victory was had. Battle just moved south. :-X
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

JagXKR wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 11:18 am
soupy wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 8:04 am Half almost half of Penticton owns property "near" the Victory Church. Our city isn't that big, and it is pretty dense around Victory Church downtown.
Isn't that nice. But the problem just got moved it did not disappear. Now the problem has been shifted closer to MY property. But of course you don't care that I may now have the issues.
Great job standing up to Eby, though no real victory was had. Battle just moved south. :-X
I hear ya. Never said the problem was fixed. There is no victory apart from the fact a Mayor and community stood up to Eby and made a stand.

BC Housing needs an overhaul.

I'm just saying its a cop out calling it a conflict of interest when almost everyone in this town lives "near" one of the shelters.
I mean Burdock house is still close to my property ... its not moving.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

soupy wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 11:27 am I hear ya. Never said the problem was fixed. There is no victory apart from the fact a Mayor and community stood up to Eby and made a stand.

I'm just saying its a cop out calling it a conflict of interest when almost everyone in this town lives "near" one of the shelters.
You are right. But the "Vaseline stood up to Eby" argument does not hold water with me because the problem was just moved, away from his downtown building.
Then the city "caved" and made an agreement to move the Victory House people. We still are out legal costs and that is going on the city's debt load.
Is the city, sorry I mean Vaseline, going to fight to get the legal costs back from Eby? Nope, Eby won. Had the city keep open the temp shelter and made us expend legal costs and he and his ilk are no worse for wear.
But sure we stood up and won.....
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

JagXKR wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 11:37 am
soupy wrote: Jan 14th, 2022, 11:27 am I hear ya. Never said the problem was fixed. There is no victory apart from the fact a Mayor and community stood up to Eby and made a stand.

You are right. But the "Vaseline stood up to Eby" argument does not hold water with me because the problem was just moved, away from his downtown building.
Then the city "caved" and made an agreement to move the Victory House people. We still are out legal costs and that is going on the city's debt load.
Is the city, sorry I mean Vaseline, going to fight to get the legal costs back from Eby? Nope, Eby won. Had the city keep open the temp shelter and made us expend legal costs and he and his ilk are no worse for wear.
But sure we stood up and won.....
Meh, what the City paid in legal cost pales in comparison to what we are spending at a provincial level to shelter and house these "clients".

Still waiting for the 3rd party BC Housing audit they promised.
I've heard first had from people who do maintenance at some of these BC Housing projects, and the money wasted on fixing / repairing these facilities reminds me of what happens with public bathrooms.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

twobits wrote: Jan 13th, 2022, 4:45 pm Holy crap soup......seems we need to get together for a cocktail since we are agreeing so much lol.
:130:
So how do you really feel about Miller? lol
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 14th, 2022, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Try again without the personal attacks.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 14th, 2022, 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
southy
Lord of the Board

Post by southy »

I believe Vas has the same problem as Biden! Age. I'm no belittling him, I'm simple stating what I see. And that is his age is catching up to him. HIs foot in mouth happens way to often. Its as if the right thought is there but the mouth says something totally off track. I do believe this has or will have an effect on his decision making as time goes on.

One person I'd like to see take a run at council perhaps not the mayors position is Trevor Guerard. Young, energetic, educated and sees the needs of this community,

Just my opinion./
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

southy wrote: Jan 15th, 2022, 9:04 am One person I'd like to see take a run at council perhaps not the mayors position is Trevor Guerard. Young, energetic, educated and sees the needs of this community,

Just my opinion./
I am/was surprised or maybe not, his dad did not run at one point. Trevor is a pretty level headed guy.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
XT225
Lord of the Board

Post by XT225 »

southy wrote: Jan 15th, 2022, 9:04 am I believe Vas has the same problem as Biden! Age. I'm no belittling him, I'm simple stating what I see. And that is his age is catching up to him. HIs foot in mouth happens way to often. Its as if the right thought is there but the mouth says something totally off track. I do believe this has or will have an effect on his decision making as time goes on.

One person I'd like to see take a run at council perhaps not the mayors position is Trevor Guerard. Young, energetic, educated and sees the needs of this community,

Just my opinion./
Not a bad candidate for council this Fall, Southy but baby steps, first. Councillor experience first and THEN maybe a run for Mayor. Too many others (ie: Jason C.; prime example) have tried to bypass councillor position and go right for the Mayor's chair, and with dismal results in the polls. I also did think that Trevor's dad would make a councillor.

Return to “South Okanagan”