Religious sub-forums

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?

Are you in favour of sub-forums under the main Religion forum?

Yes
41%
No
59%

Total votes: 27

CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

You are so smart Baba!! There ya go Boda, happy quoting..lol

~D
Baba O'Riley
Lord of the Board

Post by Baba O'Riley »

soulra wrote: Is no disagreement allowed? Do you all want to sit around a stoke each other up, with no counterpoint? That would make it easy, wouldn't it?

It certainly would be dull! :smt023 Beliefs would be reinforced, rather than challenged - I don't agree with that, but....

I am in favour of splitting the 'Religion & Philosophy' forum, for I too am tired of the belittling comments thrown about by both sides and the never-ending merry-go-round where very little gets answered, acknowledged or appreciated by the 'other side'!
The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
Baba O'Riley
Lord of the Board

Post by Baba O'Riley »

CoffeeCanuck wrote:You are so smart Baba!! There ya go Boda, happy quoting..lol

You're welcome! :124:
The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

i went through this thread and fixed the broken quotes. :D Boda, next time you quote make sure none of the Disable boxes are checked off, that should fix it if you can't do it in your profile. :smt023
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

ferri wrote:i went through this thread and fixed the broken quotes. :D Boda, next time you quote make sure none of the Disable boxes are checked off, that should fix it if you can't do it in your profile. :smt023

Thank-you :smt053
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Baba O'Riley wrote:I am in favour of splitting the 'Religion & Philosophy' forum, for I too am tired of the belittling comments thrown about by both sides and the never-ending merry-go-round where very little gets answered, acknowledged or appreciated by the 'other side'!

Agreed. I guess where I am comming from, is I think it would be nice to have a place where we can just have a simple discussion about our different faiths, beliefs and docterines without constantly having to go round and round about the same 'yes athieism is right, or no athieism is not right'. Would it probably be a tad on the boring side with no one making constant snide remarks and sarcastic digs, probably..lol. I think there should be a sub-forum for this type of exchange as many 'get off' on it. Hey, sometimes I've been known to be a tad facitious every now and again. O:)

EDIT....Take this thread for example. I cant speak for Ned, however I'm going to go out on a limb and say he wanted to share some of his Morman doctorine and why he thinks it has special meaning. I dont think he meant for it to yet turn into round 10 of the atheist vs the faithful fight.

~D
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Boda wrote:
ferri wrote:i went through this thread and fixed the broken quotes. :D Boda, next time you quote make sure none of the Disable boxes are checked off, that should fix it if you can't do it in your profile. :smt023

Thank-you :smt053

you're welcome! perfect! :D A+ :lol:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

CoffeeCanuck wrote:EDIT....Take this thread for example. I cant speak for Ned, however I'm going to go out on a limb and say he wanted to share some of his Morman doctorine and why he thinks it has special meaning. I dont think he meant for it to yet turn into round 10 of the atheist vs the faithful fight.

~D

LOLOL..Ok, I'm a bonehead. This is not Neds thread, it's mine. I was in reading his before posting, my only excuse. But, ya get my drift I hope.

~D
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

EDIT....Take this thread for example. I cant speak for Ned, however I'm going to go out on a limb and say he wanted to share some of his Morman doctorine and why he thinks it has special meaning. I dont think he meant for it to yet turn into round 10 of the atheist vs the faithful fight.

~D[/quote]

Why can you not have the desired conversation with Ned or whomever you wish now?
If you can't. What changes can you make to the forum that will allow your conversation but don't constitute censorship?
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

I think you misunderstood me Boda. When I was commenting about Neds thread, I thought I was in it and I was not. I get the feeling you think I want everyone censored. If that is the case, rest assured I do not. If that was the case, then it would also apply to me, nest pas?

~D
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

If you're having a discussion that you don't want derailed by off-topic remarks, ie atheism vs christianity in a thread that is discussing the mormon faith, you can do two or three things to ensure that it is 100% on track:

1. State at the onset of the thread what the boundaries are, what is not to be discussed in that particular thread. By stating this at the onset (and letting us know that you've done so) the thread has its own rules of sorts. Can't do this with every thread on the board, but certainly you can do it with certain threads that you want focused.

2. Report any posts that go off-topic . . . and/or . . .

3. 100% ignore any poster who goes off-topic The idea that one *must* respond to someone who keeps getting your goat is insane.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Yeah, I hear you Jo and did just what you suggested in one thread. Personally I just like the idea of having faith specific sub-forums like another site has. I guess I'm in a minority tho. :smt102

~D
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

I think it's an interesting enough idea but I'm not sure it will accomplish what you may be hoping for. Sadly, there are some who will take absolutely any opportunity to ridicule anyone of faith and try to assert that their view is the only valid one and will do so whether the thread is specific or not. I really don't understand why this is the way it is, if some people want to have a discussion about faith without getting bogged down by the useless atheism vs. belief in God debate, why not let them? I myself tend to stay away from the religious discussions altogether, although it's a subject that interests me, p!ssing matches do not.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Thanks for your input Orez. You're right in that some would indeed continue to ridicule and overtake a forum no matter what it's title. I guess what I like about sub-forums is the fact that if I want to learn something about another faith, have questions etc. I can just choose the specific forum. The way it's set up now you have to search for threads, and most times they are long forgotten. Having sub-forums would keep everything separated, in persective and fresh.

~D
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

CoffeeCanuck wrote:Yeah, I hear you Jo and did just what you suggested in one thread. Personally I just like the idea of having faith specific sub-forums like another site has. I guess I'm in a minority tho. :smt102

~D

Hey CC, it's something to keep in mind for the future, but at this point we're pretty much full-up with categories. Trouble with too many sub-forums is (sometimes) that a lot just sit empty and take up space. Still, we're always looking for good ideas, and this one does have a lot of merit.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”