Pet Food

A potpourri of off-topics.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

ferri wrote:other than that, the little darlings always have carrots and sliced apple handy, sometimes lettuce too. raw. LOL

And the odd finger or two?

~D
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

oh yeah! with that evil little dutch dwarf we had. :lol:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Triple 6 wrote:I saw a documentary last week, was on CBC. Really interesting. The high end was fish head, chicken beaks, wings etc...

B fed his last dog IAMS and swears buy it, At 40 bucks a bag it is rather pricey, and feeding two Rotties, it does not last long.

I'd be interested in hearing from others that purchase lower priced foods.

Was that the documentary where a woman vet was talking about how they (vets) really dont know much about dog nutrition, other than what they are taught by the big name pet food companies like Iams? Where a woman used to work in a dog food processing plant and demonstrated what is used and how it's cooked?

I used to feed my dogs Iams years ago untill I started researching into them. Even the 'higher grade' Iams uses by-products and I refuse to feed my dogs that. When I went into Bone Appetite and talked to the owner at length, and after closely looking into Natura pet food, I came away knowing I'd made a good decision to switch. The California Natural has the least amount of ingredients and my boxers allergies cleared right up. I'm quite upset that I cant get it here. I've been trying Eagle Pack, but notice her allergies are flaring up again. *sigh*

Here is an interesting ingredient comparison.
http://www.feedmypet.com/dog-food-comparison.html

Also, at Natura's website, you can compare side by side ingredients of many brands and if you click on the individual ingredient, it will describe exactly what it is. I dont know about some of you, but I can look at a list of ingredients on a bag of dog food and scratch my head wondering what the heck it is.
http://www.naturapet.com/tools/comparison.asp

~D
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Re: Pet Food

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Baba O'Riley wrote:I feed my mutt "Nature's Variety" freeze-dried food.

Are those the frozen 'meat pucks'?

~D
Baba O'Riley
Lord of the Board

Post by Baba O'Riley »

CoffeeCanuck wrote:
Baba O'Riley wrote:I feed my mutt "Nature's Variety" freeze-dried food.

Are those the frozen 'meat pucks'?

~D

No, they do a natural ingredients, 'raw food' but kinda freeze-dried kibble! :lol: Here's a link: http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.lasso?page=1136

But I'm very interested in the Natura details you've posted and will be going back to Bone Appetit for advice on that brand! :smt023
The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Baba O'Riley wrote:No, they do a natural ingredients, 'raw food' but kinda freeze-dried kibble! :lol: Here's a link: http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.lasso?page=1136

But I'm very interested in the Natura details you've posted and will be going back to Bone Appetit for advice on that brand! :smt023

Ok, gotcha. Thats kind of a neat idea!

If you go into Bone Appetit, buy a 'bully' stick for your pooch, he/she will love you for it. They are all natural, as they are...*cough*...bull penis's! Hey, how much more natural can you get eh... :lol: My dogs go crazy for them!

Gee, now that I'm talking about how great California Natural food is, I'm thinking I just need to travel and start buying it again. I also like that it's no more expensive than Iams and Eukanuba.

~D
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

I had Angus on California Natural, and he really thrived on it . . . but in the end even that one got to his twitchy digestive system. He is really prone to diarrhea, always has been, and it has been a battle finding the right stuff.

Finally this time we have something that works, the stuff you get at the vet, Medi-Cal Gastro Formula, I think it is. It costs a small freaking fortune, makes the California Natural cheap by comparison, but what the hell, he's old, he deserves the perk (for the first time in his life he gets canned as well as dry), and by god there has been no more diarrhea. His system is so sensitive I have to be careful even with rawhide bones. Damned prima dona! :lol:
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

and then the poor dear has to deal with that kid chewing on the good sticks. :lol:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Jo wrote:I had Angus on California Natural, and he really thrived on it . . . but in the end even that one got to his twitchy digestive system. He is really prone to diarrhea, always has been, and it has been a battle finding the right stuff.

Finally this time we have something that works, the stuff you get at the vet, Medi-Cal Gastro Formula, I think it is. It costs a small freaking fortune, makes the California Natural cheap by comparison, but what the hell, he's old, he deserves the perk (for the first time in his life he gets canned as well as dry), and by god there has been no more diarrhea. His system is so sensitive I have to be careful even with rawhide bones. Damned prima dona! :lol:

Ugh...having a pet with diarrhea problems is terrible. I'm so glad you found something that's working for him now. Rawhide is not the best, but these bully sticks are great. Buy a small one and try him on it. As he's nawing away, he will look at you with love filled eyes..lol..trust me.

~D
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

I know! :lol: It's funny, for a long time Angus couldn't figure out why we didn't lose the little pup but now they have become fast and furious friends. Andrew is incredibly gentle with Angus (nothing else is allowed) and Angus is an absolute saint with Andrew. The name problem remains, though, and both respond when I call one of them. And if I'm mad at one of them, both look guilty. :lol:
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

CoffeeCanuck wrote:Ugh...having a pet with diarrhea problems is terrible. I'm so glad you found something that's working for him now. Rawhide is not the best, but these bully sticks are great. Buy a small one and try him on it. As he's nawing away, he will look at you with love filled eyes..lol..trust me.

~D

Hey, I'll ask about the bully stick, I've not heard of that one before. I know the rawhide is great as long as it's absolutely pure, no beef flavourings or such. He will pack one around with him for weeks, it's like a pet for him he takes it everywhere he goes, and he'll gently lick it once or twice and store it on my slippers at night . . . and then one day he'll just go nuts and eat the whole thing. Damn he is a weird dog.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Jo wrote:He will pack one around with him for weeks, it's like a pet for him he takes it everywhere he goes, and he'll gently lick it once or twice and store it on my slippers at night . . . and then one day he'll just go nuts and eat the whole thing. Damn he is a weird dog.

Awww, but that's what makes him special and unique!

Here is what bully sticks are made of. http://www.bullysticks.com/

Our Bully Sticks are available in a wide variety of sizes and types. Whether you're looking to please the littlest dog or the largest, we can help. Our Bully Sticks are the best quality available. Bully Sticks are 100% all natural dog treats, 100% digestible and low in fat. Bully Sticks are better for your dog than rawhide chews. Bully Sticks are an excellent way to reduce tartar build up. Bully Sticks are also a great way to satisfy your dogs desire to chew!

Bully Sticks are 100% Bull penises, Not a tendon, and not processed meat strips. Bully Sticks are dried, lightly smoked or natural flavor

I dont know about other stores in Kelowna, but Bone Appetit sells them in 2 diff sizes. I'm not positive, but I believe theirs are smoked. They look it anyhow.

~D
Jo
Slot 16

Post by Jo »

Thanks CC! :smt023
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

CC, that was the program. It was really interesting. I am definately going to have to do some research on food.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

CoffeeCanuck wrote:
Baba O'Riley wrote:No, they do a natural ingredients, 'raw food' but kinda freeze-dried kibble! :lol: Here's a link: http://www.naturesvariety.com/content.lasso?page=1136

Ok, gotcha. Thats kind of a neat idea!

If you go into Bone Appetit, buy a 'bully' stick for your pooch, he/she will love you for it. They are all natural, as they are...*cough*...bull penis's! Hey, how much more natural can you get eh... :lol: My dogs go crazy for them!

Gee, now that I'm talking about how great California Natural food is, I'm thinking I just need to travel and start buying it again. I also like that it's no more expensive than Iams and Eukanuba.

~D

I bought my babes a "bully" stick... Man alive, those stunk!
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings

Return to “Grab Bag”