Religious sub-forums

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?

Are you in favour of sub-forums under the main Religion forum?

Yes
41%
No
59%

Total votes: 27

CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Thanks Jo, I appreciate the input.

~D
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

Jo wrote:If you're having a discussion that you don't want derailed by off-topic remarks, ie atheism vs christianity in a thread that is discussing the mormon faith, you can do two or three things to ensure that it is 100% on track:

1. State at the onset of the thread what the boundaries are, what is not to be discussed in that particular thread. By stating this at the onset (and letting us know that you've done so) the thread has its own rules of sorts. Can't do this with every thread on the board, but certainly you can do it with certain threads that you want focused.

2. Report any posts that go off-topic . . . and/or . . .

3. 100% ignore any poster who goes off-topic The idea that one *must* respond to someone who keeps getting your goat is insane.

That was my point CoffeeCanuck. It's either that, or tell those who have opinions you don't agree with that their not allowed posting.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Boda wrote:That was my point CoffeeCanuck. It's either that, or tell those who have opinions you don't agree with that their not allowed posting.

Wow Boda. I dont have issue with people having a different opinion from mine. What I do have issue with is the constant belittling, insulting and general tone of some posters. There is a difference.

~D
shoo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by shoo »

I quit visiting the Religion thread because of the constant barrage of insults and demeaning comments. I liked the often thought provoking questions and points of view,but had enough of the trashing. Of course, many feel it's their right and maybe their duty to state their own opposing opinion(always and ever),so those folks may stop using the thread as a personal playground for flinging muck.
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

Boda wrote:
Jo wrote:If you're having a discussion that you don't want derailed by off-topic remarks, ie atheism vs christianity in a thread that is discussing the mormon faith, you can do two or three things to ensure that it is 100% on track:

1. State at the onset of the thread what the boundaries are, what is not to be discussed in that particular thread. By stating this at the onset (and letting us know that you've done so) the thread has its own rules of sorts. Can't do this with every thread on the board, but certainly you can do it with certain threads that you want focused.

2. Report any posts that go off-topic . . . and/or . . .

3. 100% ignore any poster who goes off-topic The idea that one *must* respond to someone who keeps getting your goat is insane.

That was my point CoffeeCanuck. It's either that, or tell those who have opinions you don't agree with that their not allowed posting.

Boda, Maybe what CC is saying is that there is a way of having discussions about religion without disagreeing or debating the issue. There's always going to be the other 95% of the threads for that anyways. I'm assuming questions would be welcome, in fact I think the point would be to learn more about each other's faith or beliefs without shooting each other down which is what inevitably happens in every other religious discussion I've seen on this forum. Sometimes a person may just want to have a constructive exchange of ideas with those of other faiths without having to spend 90% of their energy defending their right to believe what they believe and without the ever present insinuations that they must be an imbecile for believing in anything at all.

I don't mean to try to speak for anyone here, maybe that was just more about what I'd like to see, LOL.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

OREZ wrote:Boda, Maybe what CC is saying is that there is a way of having discussions about religion without disagreeing or debating the issue. There's always going to be the other 95% of the threads for that anyways. I'm assuming questions would be welcome, in fact I think the point would be to learn more about each other's faith or beliefs without shooting each other down which is what inevitably happens in every other religious discussion I've seen on this forum. Sometimes a person may just want to have a constructive exchange of ideas with those of other faiths without having to spend 90% of their energy defending their right to believe what they believe and without the ever present insinuations that they must be an imbecile for believing in anything at all.

I don't mean to try to speak for anyone here, maybe that was just more about what I'd like to see, LOL.

You hit the nail on the head and that is exactly all I'm trying to say. Thank you for putting it more clearly than I did. :smt023

~D
Boda
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Boda »

[

Boda, Maybe what CC is saying is that there is a way of having discussions about religion without disagreeing or debating the issue. There's always going to be the other 95% of the threads for that anyways. I'm assuming questions would be welcome, in fact I think the point would be to learn more about each other's faith or beliefs without shooting each other down which is what inevitably happens in every other religious discussion I've seen on this forum. Sometimes a person may just want to have a constructive exchange of ideas with those of other faiths without having to spend 90% of their energy defending their right to believe what they believe and without the ever present insinuations that they must be an imbecile for believing in anything at all.

I don't mean to try to speak for anyone here, maybe that was just more about what I'd like to see, LOL.[/quote]

Point taken, thank-you Orez.

However, is'nt this a public discussion forum? Jo (administrator) explaned how to quite easily regulate the topics.

Look at the Mormon docterine thread, I don't think it was derailed by the antaganistic athiests. It was derailed by the faithfull that have no rational rebuttle to their comments!

Personally as an agnostic with limited education I'm hoping to read arguments to these undisputed biblical quotes that say, no god did'nt say that, or god didn't really mean that, but the responses seem to generally be just as antaganistic with no substance to support ANY argument!

That being said, I see no reason why the faithfull cannot discuss the differences in thier religons, or whatever dimentions of thier faith they choose to talk about.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

Well Boda, you are certainly free to view things as you see fit.

~D
warden
Übergod

Post by warden »

I don't think there needs to be sub-forums in Religion. I think if people would stop responding to posts they find offensive, topics would generally stay on track.

For instance, in looking at Ned's Mormon Doctrine thread, every post zzontar has made has nothing to do with the Mormon faith, but instead is a snarktastic response to cerealkiller or soulra. Thus the entire topic is derailed. The last five pages (out of seven) of that thread have nothing to do with Mormonism! (I'm not meaning to single zzontar out, it was just the most obvious example).

I can see where those of faith could find offense in CK's and soulra's posts (and others, and the other way around), but if that is the case, stop responding! Those of us that have generally stopped posting in religion have done so because a) some of those that regularly post here are so on the defensive that they lump everyone who doesn't agree into the same category, and b) There isn't a single topic in this forum that has managed to stay on the rails.

Regardless of my feelings about everyone's varied belief system, it's fairly obvious that as long as the usual suspects keep taking the bait, you can't hope to have a topic stay on track. There's no need for separate sub-forums; There is however, a need for a little more self control.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I think Jo had some good ideas, set the rules to begin with, or state you want a thread where people can discuss their faith or beliefs... seeing as atheists don't have a faith or belief, that would rule them out of that particular thread and they could still voice their opinions on other threads.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

And to make it fair, have a thread for the atheists only where they can discuss whatever they'd like.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

and Warden is right (ferri grabs her own throat and gags!!!) ignoring someone is still the very best way to go. i have even been known to do it. :D
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
warden
Übergod

Post by warden »

ferri wrote:and Warden is right (ferri grabs her own throat and gags!!!) ignoring someone is still the very best way to go. i have even been known to do it. :D

:smt075

smartass!
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:lol: i had to do it. don't you see? your entire post made sense. :smt023
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Maybe ignoring is the way to go, it's just a bit hard to do when you have posts like soulra's last one in the creation thread that jump out at you, but hey, maybe it's worth a try!

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”