Religious sub-forums

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?

Are you in favour of sub-forums under the main Religion forum?

Yes
41%
No
59%

Total votes: 27

CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

zzontar wrote:My apologies, I was thinking the idea was not to have the threads constantly derailed.
There would be nothing stopping 'them' from going into any sub-forum and continuing the same actions. What I think might need to happen is more people just need to use the report funtion when topics are constantly derailed. Personally I never really felt comfortable doing this as I feel like I'm 'tattle tailing'. Something serious has to change in this forum though.

~D
OREZ
Lord of the Board

Post by OREZ »

warden wrote:...why are my set of beliefs not open to your discussion simply because I don't believe in a god? Why would I not be allowed to participate in your discussion on beliefs? I don't believe I have ever 'turned' a discussion into a 'theists vs. atheists' debate. :?

I guess the analogy I would use would be this:

If two people are very involved in a discussion about hockey and another person comes along who happens to be a someone who's not interested in hockey and in fact doesn't like sports, he doesn't interrupt the discussion to tell them that he thinks watching hockey is a waste of time and then proceed to make generally disparaging remarks about sports in general because it's considered bad manners to do so.

Why this does not apply to a discussion about something as personal and close to a person's heart as faith and religion, I don't know.

Edited to add: I'm not saying that you're guilty of that Warden, I'm just saying that it shuts down the discussion when it happens and it can be frustrating in general for people who really don't want to have that debate, yet again.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true."
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

CoffeeCanuck wrote:
zzontar wrote:My apologies, I was thinking the idea was not to have the threads constantly derailed.
There would be nothing stopping 'them' from going into any sub-forum and continuing the same actions. What I think might need to happen is more people just need to use the report funtion when topics are constantly derailed. Personally I never really felt comfortable doing this as I feel like I'm 'tattle tailing'. Something serious has to change in this forum though.

~D

don't ever feel like you are tattle tailing! what you are actually doing is helping us keep these forums from turning into something none of us want. it also helps since we do get reports in other parts of the forum and then have to hear, "but so and so said THIS in THAT forum and got away with it!" :smt073 see what i mean?
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

OREZ wrote: If two people are very involved in a discussion about hockey and another person comes along who happens to be a someone who's not interested in hockey and in fact doesn't like sports, he doesn't interrupt the discussion to tell them that he thinks watching hockey is a waste of time and then proceed to make generally disparaging remarks about sports in general because it's considered bad manners to do so.

Why this does not apply to a discussion about something as personal and close to a person's heart as faith and religion, I don't know.

Such a person (one who comes along and happens to be a someone who's not interested in hockey and in fact doesn't like sports, and then interrupts the discussion to tell them that he thinks watching hockey is a waste of time and then proceed to make generally disparaging remarks about sports in general) would be considered by most to be, at the very least, an idiot. When applying this same analogy to a topic as close to a person's heart as faith and religion, this person is not only an idiot, but someone incapable of demonstrating the very least in class. Using quotes from a five thousand (or more) year old book to show how a religion is prejudicial to justify some hateful position does not hide the prejudice, bigotry and hate now being perpetuated under the guise of this justification. Only the most naïve, or the most prejudicial of thinkers would buy into this crap. Unfortunately, we see a lot of one or the other (ignorance and/or prejudice) or both at the same time on this board.

I would support the introduction of a sub-forum - just because it would be nice to find out more about other people's beliefs without the same old hateful and tiresome crap.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Gentlemen, well said. :124:

I quit posting in the religion forum for the very reason stated by OREZ and supported by SL.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
CoffeeCanuck
Lord of the Board

Post by CoffeeCanuck »

kccayenne wrote:Gentlemen, well said. :124:

I quit posting in the religion forum for the very reason stated by OREZ and supported by SL.

I hear you kcc, I truly do. Come on back though, just maybe we can turn this forum around. I think we are living in a time of hightened spirituality and there are many, many people who have questions.

Personally, I am no longer going to tolerate the belittling and ignorance shown by a few. Either I will 100% ignore their posts, or I will start reporting them. There have been some really good discussions totally ruined and derailed by them and it's got to stop.

Yes ferri, I will start reporting, no worries. I'll deal with my guilt complex in private. :lol:

~D

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”