Riddle for the Castanauts.

Just what it says. Games. On a forum.
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Re: Riddle for the Castanauts.

Post by just popping in »

Queen K wrote:Because it's two men and not two women? :138:

[icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]

This is like Jeopardy. What flows into Shuswap Lake?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

just popping in wanted to do a road trip in BC this year, but he can only go 100km between rest stop because he likes to drink a lot of coffee (if you know what I mean). Anyway, he looks up the map for all rest stops in BC, and is dumbfounded by the massive stretch of highway in northern BC with no rest stops. He wants to go to the Yukon, so he decides the take the less popular Cassiar Highway instead of the Alaska Highway because of all the rest stops.

Question: Why are there so few rest stops on the Alaska highway?

restareas.png
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Never travelled the highway so just throwing out some guesses:

a) The mosquitoes have teeth like chainsaws and no one wants to stop.

b) The smaller communities along the route provide the service and welcome the tourism.

c) The highway is not maintained to attract a lot of tourism.

d) The province doesn't want to spend the funds to maintain such rest areas; and/or

e) It is a pristine area of nature and wildlife that shouldn't be disturbed, thus discouraging traffic.

Other than that those are my thoughts, so don't drink a lot of fluids whilst travelling Alaska Highway unless you want to be one with nature, chewed by mosquitoes, chased by wildlife and I mean big wildlife, you are in their territory.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The highway is heavily travelled by tourists. None of your guesses are even close to being right, although I do like A.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Okay, I'll ponder this for a while.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Hint: why is there no rest stop at Rogers Pass?
- Douglas Murray
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Glacier wrote:Hint: why is there no rest stop at Rogers Pass?

Then just out curiosity what is this then:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.300891, ... 312!8i6656
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Once you can figure out why that's not on the map of provincial rest stops, you will be able to solve the riddle.
- Douglas Murray
just popping in
Lord of the Board

After much thought and from your hint(s):

1. The terrain, glacier, tundra, avalanche deem it impossible?
2. The USofA owns it, which I don't really believe but just a thought.
3. The Federal government owns it and they don't give a damn?
4. Bears sh*t in the woods and so can you.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

3 is very close to the right answer. The only thing you need to understand is that there is no BC Rest Stop at Rogers Pass. There is a rest stop, but it's not a BC Rest Stop.
- Douglas Murray
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Owned by Public Works of Canada and so BC is not in charge of the rest areas, even though there are some along it.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Verum wrote:Owned by Public Works of Canada and so BC is not in charge of the rest areas, even though there are some along it.

You are a smart man (or woman or whatever you identify as today) with wisdom well beyond your years. That is to say, you are correct. The Alaska highway north of Fort St. John to the Yukon border (with the exception of the part through Fort Nelson) is operated by the federal government, so none of the rest stops are listed on the provincial website.
Last edited by Glacier on Jun 11th, 2018, 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Douglas Murray
just popping in
Lord of the Board

My last guess was going to be the municipalities are responsible and don't have the funds.

Thank you, Verum, I don't have to think anymore for today.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Patrick Kane is the only player from the Chicago Blackhawks to ever win the Hart Trophy.

But some of you hockey fans who are a little longer in the tooth (I'm looking at Gordon H) will say "um, I remember watching Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita both win the trophy twice!"

But you hockey fans have faulty memories.

Explain why Kane is the only Chicago Blackhawk winner.
- Douglas Murray
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

American born and has only played for the Blackhawks.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Forum Games”