Diabetes

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Diabetes

Post by Silverstarqueen »

"Approximately 90% of male diabetes mellitus patients have varying degrees of testicular dysfunction."
In one study, metformin reduced this sort of testicular damage.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/31871550/
Which begs the question: was the metformin rescuing the sperm to a degree, but not preventing the damage.

Clearly more research is needed.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Diabetes: Why we are clueless

Post by Grandan »

Lemmys_76 wrote: Jan 24th, 2017, 8:41 pm I have a friend recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes that is having a difficult time with changing habits and managing his illness.

I'm trying to convince him to follow a very low carb, moderate protein, high fat diet (LCHF) to lose weight and maybe even reverse his Type 2 diabetes. This has been proven possible.

I was pre-diabetic and am presently eating this way. Down 30 pounds and blood work is now normal. No strenuous exercise required, just my dog taking me for walks.

People are so resistant to giving up sugar and grains, but once you've gone through withdrawal (yes, it's an addiction), you don't miss the foods that cause your insulin to spike. Feeling well again is worth it.
You were way ahead of the curve here! Best advice at the time and proven over and over. Type II diabetes can be reversed.
Waste not
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Fancy wrote: Sep 21st, 2021, 8:07 pm
Kelownamade wrote: Sep 21st, 2021, 7:04 pm Who said poor diet and a toxic lifestyle would cause the identical result in all humans. ...
What you DID say is "Diabetes is strictly caused by poor diet" which is obviously not true. Think of the infants and children and genetics.
Babies are born overweight and with metabolic syndrome because of the nutrients they obtained from their mother’s diet. To further exacerbate the problem mothers then feed fruit loops and high sugar drinks to their kids.
Waste not
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Grandan wrote: Apr 7th, 2022, 9:02 am
Fancy wrote: Sep 21st, 2021, 8:07 pm

What you DID say is "Diabetes is strictly caused by poor diet" which is obviously not true. Think of the infants and children and genetics.
Babies are born overweight and with metabolic syndrome because of the nutrients they obtained from their mother’s diet. To further exacerbate the problem mothers then feed fruit loops and high sugar drinks to their kids.
Diabetes can be caused by a genetic mutation. It's not always about diet.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

"Type 2 diabetes can occur when the body becomes resistant to insulin. Cells are not able to absorb glucose and convert it into energy as a result of this resistance.
Excess abdominal fat is a major cause, in addition to genetics and lifestyle.
The risk factors include:
Obesity
Sedentary lifestyle
Family history
Age - people above the age of 45 years are at higher risk
Prediabetes
Gestational diabetes
Polycystic ovarian syndrome"
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

And it’s the genetic part I was referring to in the young ones.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Nov 20th, 2021, 6:53 am There are new (old) ways of managing and preventing diabetes being studied.Unfortunately the advice being given to many patients is not helping, as they watch their condition gradually worsen over the years, and their medication/insulin requirements increase year by year.
https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#351974

The study mentioned in previous post, with pharmacist supervised diabetics, is interesting. The main concern being, that a pharmacist would be advising more or less medication/insulin, so who would be responsible if a diabetic goes into hypoglycemia? Seems like that situation needs to be monitored by a physician. 800 calorie per day diet is not that easy to maintain for longer than a week or two. Try it sometime.
It is not the calories that is important, it is the composition of the food. A high fat diet has more calories but fat does not drive up insulin which is the fat storage hormone. The rise in diabetes and obesity has been tied to the rise in consumption of high fructose corn syrup used in soft drinks and fast food.
The calories in fat is double that in carbohydrates. The Inuit of the arctic lived on fat from seal blubber throughout the long winters and consumed very little carbs. Prior to the arrival of the high carb standard American diet in the north the Inuit were free of diabetes. There are studies where scientists proved the high fat diet was ok and was conducted in a hospital setting to ensure there was no cheating going on. There is no reason that carbohydrates are needed for a human diet and any glucose needed can be manufactured by the liver.
Waste not
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Nov 20th, 2021, 10:39 am
Randall T wrote: Nov 20th, 2021, 8:32 am Simplified in layman's' terms.

Type 1: Genetic
Type 2: High cholesterol, high BP, excessive belly fat. It's that simple. Correct those three and no Type 2. The belly fat can be reduced by committing to altering diet and having an exercise program, which will also take care of the blood glucose problem and the high cholesterol. If one can not exercise due to injury or a crippling disease, then it becomes a bit harder to eliminate the condition. Also, hypertension and high cholesterol production can be hereditary and may have to be treated with medication to control it.
Hence, Type 2 can be reversed as it is not an incurable genetic disease but gradually appears due to the above three criteria. Commitment, and possibly with the help of certain medications, is the key. Not easy for a lot of people for various reasons.
I have a neighbor who was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes at a relatively young age (by accident, he happened to be in hospital for something else). He has been very diligent from the start about his diet, and exercise over many years, and followed all advice. He amazed his doctors with how well he has done for someone who had it so long. He still has diabetes tho, still depends on medication, and by now has lost of few digits, but he still has outlived predictions. So it's not quite as simple as "correct those three and no type 2".
From what I have read there is a genetic component to type 2 (not necessarily every case). Which is not the same as it can't be helped with diet and exercise, I am just skepical about claims that it can be reversed or cured, simply with diet and exercise. Can some of the worst effects be held off, delayed, or reduced? Probably. Have diabetics like him been given the best of care and advice? I am not so sure about that. Also not everyone with type 2 is fat or overweight.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29208878/
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34258276/
In another study: TD=Thyroid disease
" TD prevalence in type 2 diabetic patients was 48% (n = 92). In subjects who denied prior TD, the prevalence was 40% (n = 37), 15 with subclinical hypothyroidism (45%). In the whole study population prevalence of subclinical hypothyroidism was 8%. Globally, subclinical DT prevalence was 9% (n = 17) and anti-TPO 13% (n = 25). "
For patients who have been diabetic for too long, it may not be reversible. For many dropping the consumption of sugar in all its forms is necessary. For some good solid advice on what diet is best to reverse diabetes I suggest reading the Diabetes Code by Jason Fung a Toronto based Nephrologist who treats the end stages of diabetes and really knows his stuff. If you are too lazy to read a book then look him up on YouTube where he has many excellent lectures that can help you understand what you need to do to reverse type 2 diabetes melitus.
Our current reading material is Drop Acid by Dr David Perlmutter MD which deals extensively with Uric Acid and it’s relationship with Fructose and the development of metabolic syndrome, obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes, hypertension,fatty liver disease, stroke, neurological disorders and premature death.
You can check out some of his YouTube videos for an overview.
Family members have died from the complications of diabetes and others are diabetic or pre diabetic. I am not, my A1C is 5.0.
My sugar consumption is limited to whole fruit in limited quantities.
Waste not
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

The role of dietary fat is not quite that simple for diabetics. The inuit managed a high fat diet, but they weren't eating many carbs, There are other societies which do quite nicely on a high carb diet. High dietary fat can increase insulin resistance. So until these guidelines are made clearer for everyone, diabetes research is still in its infancy as far as I can see. We had all these many decades, as diabetes rates grew and grew, and most dietary combinations have not been studied in enough detail to help a lot of people (who incidentally, their doctors haven't even diagnoses them yet).
I somehow doubt that Fruitloops are the main driver for diabetes. It could just as easily be the high fats (or wrong fats) that are cosumed by the tons by many people. It was quite a few years ago (about 50 years ago I think), when it was demonstrated that insulin resistance could be induced in young-ish healthy people by feeding them a high fat diet. There really really needs to be more research, and it should have been done in the last 50 years.
So we know that gastric surgery certainly works, but is it really because those people can no longer eat much starchy foods, or is it because they can't eat much fat, or is it because they just can't eat much food of any kind in general?
I am quite concerned about the number of people who think drinking heavily laden lattees is the best way to correct a metabolic problem, some don't even count those calories, but we don't actually know what that's doing to their systems.

Until we can answer how some societies thrive on a high carbohydrate diet, we don't have the whole picture.
"Traditional Okinawans: 6% calories as fat
Traditional Thai: 9% calories as fat
Traditional Pima: 8-12% calories as fat
Highlanders of Papua New Guinea: 3% calories as fat"
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Apr 7th, 2022, 4:51 pm The role of dietary fat is not quite that simple for diabetics. The inuit managed a high fat diet, but they weren't eating many carbs, There are other societies which do quite nicely on a high carb diet. High dietary fat can increase insulin resistance. So until these guidelines are made clearer for everyone, diabetes research is still in its infancy as far as I can see. We had all these many decades, as diabetes rates grew and grew, and most dietary combinations have not been studied in enough detail to help a lot of people (who incidentally, their doctors haven't even diagnoses them yet).
I somehow doubt that Fruitloops are the main driver for diabetes. It could just as easily be the high fats (or wrong fats) that are cosumed by the tons by many people. It was quite a few years ago (about 50 years ago I think), when it was demonstrated that insulin resistance could be induced in young-ish healthy people by feeding them a high fat diet. There really really needs to be more research, and it should have been done in the last 50 years.
So we know that gastric surgery certainly works, but is it really because those people can no longer eat much starchy foods, or is it because they can't eat much fat, or is it because they just can't eat much food of any kind in general?
I am quite concerned about the number of people who think drinking heavily laden lattees is the best way to correct a metabolic problem, some don't even count those calories, but we don't actually know what that's doing to their systems.

Until we can answer how some societies thrive on a high carbohydrate diet, we don't have the whole picture.
"Traditional Okinawans: 6% calories as fat
Traditional Thai: 9% calories as fat
Traditional Pima: 8-12% calories as fat
Highlanders of Papua New Guinea: 3% calories as fat"
I think it needs to restated, the problem is not the high carbs from sweet potatoes or rice, it is the high fructose corn syrup added to the modern Standard American Diet (SAD) The problem with fructose has been proven over and over through rigorous testing by catering the meals for people but varying only the fructose but feeding an equivalent amount of carbohydrates. Dr.Robert Lustig Jr among others has proven the hypothesis.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpNU72dny2s
There is no doubt that fructose is the problem but Big Food and Big Sugar have mounted a disinformation campaign that has confused the consumer. Worse, fructose is an addictive substance that many people cannot ditch.
By cloaking the problem in uncertainty is but one way to divert and confuse the consumer.
Because the Inuit are more fat adapted there is now a crisis in the north as the babies are being fed Coca Cola in their bottles. Please take the time to follow the science on this, there is plenty to be known but you will not find it if you follow tainted science infiltrated by the food industry.
Waste not
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

I came across this article that is giving everyone a heads up on where our society is heading if we don’t get a grip on the pandemic caused by the pandemic and that is addressing sugar consumption. There is quite a bit more to sugar consumption than meets the eye. The cost to our dental health seems to fly under the radar. I stopped added sugar 3 years ago, my dental hygienist said that my gums are the best she will see that day and possibly ever. My teeth used to be sensitive and often hurt for no reason. All that is gone. Diabetes is just the tip of the iceberg.

https://www.eurekalert.org/news-releases/946340
“This pandemic has brought us more unhealthy lifestyles — on the nutrition side, on the physical activity side and on screen time for kids. If we do not act now, we should expect more chronic diseases such as Type 2 diabetes in the years ahead,” said principal investigator Paul Veugelers, professor in the U of A’s School of Public Health.

“Health care costs for chronic diseases are ballooning,” Veugelers said. “We not only need to make our health-care system more efficient, we should also act on the demand side by investing in primary prevention to ensure we have fewer patients with chronic diseases. Addressing sugar consumption is one strategy to achieve that.”
Waste not
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

13 min of very interesting info that may explain a lot, including diabetes.

“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Thinktank »

Grandan wrote: Apr 13th, 2022, 3:43 pm “Health care costs for chronic diseases are ballooning,”

...we should also act on the demand side by investing in primary prevention to ensure we have fewer patients with chronic diseases. Addressing sugar consumption is one strategy to achieve that.”
All health authorities in Canada are there - precisely - to increase profits for big pharma and make people
more sick. That's their job. :smt045 Everyone can see what their goal is, and it's not prevention. It's $$$$$$

If you want to be healthy - DO THE EXACT OPPOSITE - of what these fraud health authorities tell you.

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote: Apr 14th, 2022, 6:50 am All health authorities in Canada are there - precisely - to increase profits for big pharma and make people
more sick. That's their job. :smt045 Everyone can see what their goal is, and it's not prevention. It's $$$$$$

If you want to be healthy - DO THE EXACT OPPOSITE - of what these fraud health authorities tell you.

Terrible advice. A lot of people would be dead if they listened to that.
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

Thinktank wrote: Apr 14th, 2022, 6:50 am
Grandan wrote: Apr 13th, 2022, 3:43 pm “Health care costs for chronic diseases are ballooning,”

...we should also act on the demand side by investing in primary prevention to ensure we have fewer patients with chronic diseases. Addressing sugar consumption is one strategy to achieve that.”
All health authorities in Canada are there - precisely - to increase profits for big pharma and make people

I can't agree 100% but I do think big pharma wants to maintain a lot of illnesses and less curing of an illness for sure. The heath authorities may not be intentionally doing that but the payment system to the Doctors and Health practitioners can cultivate a more maintenance approach rather than a cure approach.
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire

Return to “Health”