How old are you?

Just what it says. Games. On a forum.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Re: How old are you?

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Noisy Boater wrote: Apr 18th, 2022, 9:45 pm The round bar tables were Red Terry Cloth with the elastic.
And beer was 20 cents a glass.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Finally getting call waiting was cool.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Hurtlander »

As an underage teenager I would get a case of Labatts Blue for $5.00, and that included the bootleggers cut.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Telephones were mounted to the wall, your house a distinctive ring, rotary dial, and had to check to see nobody else was talking on the party line before dialing.
Bring back the LIKE button.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

I remember how cool it was when stores opened on Sundays and debit cards came out..also remember when CD's and MP 3's came out and how amazing they were..
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

kgcayenne wrote: Apr 18th, 2022, 10:47 pm Finally getting call waiting was cool.
Call waiting !!!!!

Our phone was attached to the wall in the kitchen (City of Vancouver) no dial, just a blank plate. You'd picked up the receiver and, first listened to see if the party line was on, if not you waited until the operator came on and said "number please" then you told her the number you wanted. Our number (remember in Vancouver) was DE0301R "DE" stood for the exchange, "Dexter". I remember the day the service man (yes we called them "service man") came from BC Tel and installed a dial into our phone. Wow ! just like programs on TV where they had dials.

Oh, ya TV. At first we had only one channel in Vancouver. If you had a real high antenna you could get two more channels that originated in Seattle, KING TV, channel 5 and KOMO TV, channel 4. Later Bellingham got a station that you could receive KVOS channel 12.

Our only channel was a CBC affiliate, CBUT Channel 2 Vancouver. There were programs in the morning, then they ended and there was a "Musical Interlude", not sure if if started and stopped again at noon, but it came back on in the later afternoon. Then "signed off" at around midnight and there was a "test pattern" all night and a tone.

I remember Oct 31, 1958 the first day CHAN TV channel 8 broadcast in Vancouver. Now do I go trick or treating or watch the new channel..... I opted for the candy.

For extra money I cut lawns with my dad's lawn mower. I remember going up and buying a gallon (Imperial gallon) of gas for 25¢. That works out to 5½¢ a litre. My dad would pop by the gas station and put $2 in his car. (today, 2 imperial gallons would cost around $17)

I remember going up to the corner store to buy a quart of milk for my mom. She'd give me a quarter and I could buy candy with the change (a few cents).

At first we didn't have a refrigerator. But I wasn't that old when we got one. The neighbors didn't have a refrigerator they had an "ice box". The top compartment where the old refrigerators had their freezer was a compartment for a block of ice and a hose that drained the melting ice. Ever other day or so, the "ice man" (yes not "ice person) came and brought them more ice. He carried the block of ice with a big pair of tongs over his shoulder, with some sort of padding.

There was the coal man, bread man, milk man, junk man. Some of them used a wagon pulled by a horse, for sure the junk man did.

If anyone is familiar with East Vancouver, where Purdy's Chocolates is located today at Earles Road and Kingsway (they now call it Earles Street). When I was a kid that land was a farm, I remember feeding a horse through the fence on the way back from shopping for groceries at the Purity store on the corner of Earles and Kingsway. Then the property was purchased by Canada Dry for a factory, then the building was purchased by Purdy's Chocolates (think they are still there, not sure).

No seat belts, no padded dash boards, nobody got walked to school by parents, you came home when the street lights came on. Played street hockey on the street. If we got in trouble at school we were in REAL trouble when we got home. On sports day if we didn't come in first second or third we didn't get a ribbon.
Last edited by my5cents on Jun 29th, 2022, 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

W105 wrote: Apr 19th, 2022, 9:44 am I remember how cool it was when stores opened on Sundays and debit cards came out..also remember when CD's and MP 3's came out and how amazing they were..
I remember how "cool" it was when my dad got his first audio recorder, a reel to reel recorder. Nothing portable about it, it was the size of a suitcase.

There were no cassettes of any kind. Then the 8 track, mostly in cars, then the cassette. Forget anything that could record television, that was a long way in the future.

Then video recorders,,, which one to buy, the VHS system or the Beta system ? Wow, Really ! something you could record a TV program on, even if you weren't home. You just turned the channel changer to the channel the program was on and set the recorder to come on at the time and stop 30, 60, or 120 minutes later.

Two programs at different times,,, oh no, just one. Then if you didn't watch it right away and you didn't put a label on the cassette you had problems later figuring out where the recorded program was. Or if you didn't put some sort of label on it someone else would record over it.

TV remotes, were great, there was a little motor in the channel changers (12 channels, 2 thru 13) and you pressed a button and it turned the channel 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. So if you were on channel 5 and wanted to go to channel 4, you had to go all around 5, 6, 7, ....13, 2, 4. (Never did know why there was no channel 1)
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

my5cents wrote: Apr 19th, 2022, 11:36 am
W105 wrote: Apr 19th, 2022, 9:44 am I remember how cool it was when stores opened on Sundays and debit cards came out..also remember when CD's and MP 3's came out and how amazing they were..
I remember how "cool" it was when my dad got his first audio recorder, a reel to reel recorder. Nothing portable about it, it was the size of a suitcase.

There were no cassettes of any kind. Then the 8 track, mostly in cars, then the cassette. Forget anything that could record television, that was a long way in the future.

Then video recorders,,, which one to buy, the VHS system or the Beta system ? Wow, Really ! something you could record a TV program on, even if you weren't home. You just turned the channel changer to the channel the program was on and set the recorder to come on at the time and stop 30, 60, or 120 minutes later.

Two programs at different times,,, oh no, just one. Then if you didn't watch it right away and you didn't put a label on the cassette you had problems later figuring out where the recorded program was. Or if you didn't put some sort of label on it someone else would record over it.

TV remotes, were great, there was a little motor in the channel changers (12 channels, 2 thru 13) and you pressed a button and it turned the channel dial 2, 3, 4, 5 etc. So if you were on channel 5 and wanted to go to channel 4, you had to go all around 5, 6, 7, ....13, 2, 4. (Never did know why there was no channel 1)
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I'm so old I've forgotten more than some of you know. :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

I'm so old I've forgotten more than some of you know. :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Post by I Think »

When sugar came off rationing.
We used to train spot and the trains were steam.
We had the first TV on the block, had a 6 inch screen, for the football cup had 25 guys sitting around the tv to watch the game..
We're lost but we're making good time.
Noisy Boater
Übergod

Post by Noisy Boater »

Wow some of you are older than dirt [icon_lol2.gif] . I remember running home from school at lunch to watch Razzle Dazzle on CBC. Friendly Giant and Mr Dressup were my faves. Does any one know the names of the puppets were??? I remember. :up: They were puppets were they not?? Do not burst my bubble.
Did You Have A Big Bowl Of Stupid For Breakfast ? I Have 8 Billion Gazillion Likes.

Return to “Forum Games”