Climate Change Mega Thread

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
captkirkcanada
Banned

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by captkirkcanada »

Australia town to be powered by pumped hydro

https://www.pv-magazine.com/2022/04/26/ ... microgrid/
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Less than two weeks after notching up a record 97.6% of instantaneous renewables on its grid, California has passed a major new milestone, with 100% of the state’s electricity supplied by renewable sources for a short period over the weekend.

According to the California Independent System Operator, the milestone was achieved within a 15 minute period between 2.45pm and 3pm on Saturday April 30, California time, marking the first time ever the massive state has been powered entirely by renewables.

Such levels have become common in smaller grids such as South Australia, but the milestone in California – one of the world’s biggest economies and biggest grids – is hugely significant.
the vast majority of the renewable energy supply was coming from California’s solar power resources, around 12.4GW, while another 4.7GW was being supplied by wind power. Geothermal, small hydro, biogas and biomass filled out the remainder.
https://reneweconomy.com.au/california- ... time-ever/

well well , california ran on 100 percent renewables with solar supplying the most and lil ol hydro way down at the bottom. i predicted on this forum that cali would one day run on mostly solar and i was just proven right [icon_lol2.gif]
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Canadian press which leans way right has now admited climate change is real and has been real all along . https://www.castanet.net/news/Canada/36 ... tudy-shows

:smt045
Harm Reduction Is Cool
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Harm Reduction Is Cool
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Why bother treating anyone's cancer when the treatment causes climate change. Hospitals and health care generate 8.6% of the CO2 emissions. This is how ridiculous people are thinking today.

https://ascopubs.org/doi/10.1200/JCO.21.02581
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
YzzzR1
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by YzzzR1 »

Jlabute wrote: May 7th, 2022, 10:19 am Why bother treating anyone's cancer when the treatment causes climate change. Hospitals and health care generate 8.6% of the CO2 emissions. This is how ridiculous people are thinking today.

Stop this (crazy) world, I want off. :D
You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish. REO SpdWgn
LovemyBolt
Übergod

Post by LovemyBolt »

Jlabute wrote: May 7th, 2022, 10:19 am Why bother treating anyone's cancer when the treatment causes climate change. Hospitals and health care generate 8.6% of the CO2 emissions. This is how ridiculous people are thinking today.

I think it's more of a self-awareness that the medical system has it's own emissions and that they're looking at ways to mitigate/reduce them. I don't have a problem with that. They're just musing about ways to do something about it. It's not like they want to take us back to the middle ages of medical practice. Or deny people medical attention saying uh no we can't help you...ghg emissions don't ya know. Not gonna happen. Why shouldn't all industries look at ways to reduce emissions?
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

LovemyBolt wrote: May 7th, 2022, 10:43 am

I think it's more of a self-awareness that the medical system has it's own emissions and that they're looking at ways to mitigate/reduce them. I don't have a problem with that. They're just musing about ways to do something about it. It's not like they want to take us back to the middle ages of medical practice. Or deny people medical attention saying uh no we can't help you...ghg emissions don't ya know. Not gonna happen. Why shouldn't all industries look at ways to reduce emissions?
If the industry is self-aware and wants to save energy, they can also keep it to themselves, especially the climate hyperbole. We don't need medical journals filling with politically slanted narration. Teenagers are already committing suicide, the last thing we need are those in need of medical attention feeling too guilty to receive it. That is about all the opinion article will accomplish in response to Biden's Green New Deal.

Yes, all industries can aim to be more efficient. It is and always has been the natural progression of technology. Is there a rush to accomplish this in 10 years lest we all perish? No.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
LovemyBolt
Übergod

Post by LovemyBolt »

Jlabute wrote: May 7th, 2022, 10:58 am
If the industry is self-aware and wants to save energy, they can also keep it to themselves, especially the climate hyperbole. We don't need medical journals filling with politically slanted narration. Teenagers are already committing suicide, the last thing we need are those in need of medical attention feeling too guilty to receive it. That is about all the opinion article will accomplish in response to Biden's Green New Deal.

Yes, all industries can aim to be more efficient. It is and always has been the natural progression of technology. Is there a rush to accomplish this in 10 years lest we all perish? No.
Some slightly different terminology. There's efficiencies and there's emissions. I think that report was about emissions. Some would say there is a rush and that we may hit a tipping point of no return if mitigation isn't done sooner. Emissions.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

LovemyBolt wrote: May 7th, 2022, 11:29 am
Jlabute wrote: May 7th, 2022, 10:58 am

Some slightly different terminology. There's efficiencies and there's emissions. I think that report was about emissions. Some would say there is a rush and that we may hit a tipping point of no return if mitigation isn't done sooner. Emissions.
Over the last 1000 years, we've moved from peat, to wood, to coal, to oil, to gas, to nuclear, denser and cleaner forms of energy, and efficiency also saves energy. Certain types of fuel create less particulate. Everything is improving over time including building structures and heating/warming efficiencies. Improvements in technology reduce emissions. What-else will hospitals do aside from cut services? There is no tipping point. 1.5c, 2.0c, various RCP models are all guesses and wrong as seen in climate models which all run hotter than observations.

There was a lone doctor recently who wanted to list someone's cause of death as climate change. Extreme idiotic hyperbole does not help anyone.

Any time a new hospital is built, it will likely be more efficient, using less energy then previous hospitals. Such articles are complete tripe and generally out of the hands of doctors anyways.

Don't let these doctors touch me.

Patient: Doctor, please help.
Doctor: I would, but can you imagine the future my children WILL have because you want help?
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Jlabute wrote: May 7th, 2022, 12:57 pm There is no tipping point. 1.5c, 2.0c, various RCP models are all guesses and wrong as seen in climate models which all run hotter than observations.
......and (the bolded part) this isn't a guess?
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

all the oil lovers might want to chip in an rescue themselves :smt045 :biggrin:

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wi ... er-4642711
A United Nations' pledging conference raised $33 million on Wednesday, far short of funds needed for a salvage operation of a decaying tanker full of oil moored off the coast of Yemen, a ship whose demise could cause an environmental disaster.

The U.N. had originally sought $144 million — including $80 million to transfer the more than 1 million barrels of crude oil onboard the FSO Safer to storage within the next four months. The first phase of the salvage was planned to be completed by the end of September, otherwise the vessel could face turbulent winds that start in October, according to the U.N.
Harm Reduction Is Cool
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Wash dc going all electric in new builds . Heatpumps a big part of the plan . :130:

https://crosscut.com/environment/2022/0 ... -buildings
Last edited by captkirkcanada on May 12th, 2022, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harm Reduction Is Cool
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

captkirkcanada wrote: May 11th, 2022, 12:51 pm all the oil lovers might want to chip in an rescue themselves :smt045 :biggrin:
https://abcnews.go.com/International/wi ... er-4642711
Might want to update that link. It comes back as;
Capture.JPG
Bring back the LIKE button.
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

multimillion dollar homes burnt to a crisp as climate change fuels another devastating start to the season ahead.

https://youtu.be/AKYMCdBH2Mc :200:
Harm Reduction Is Cool

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”