Diabetes

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Diabetes

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Total dietary protein, and protein source related to risk of death and heart disease 25 year later.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30968137/
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Silverstarqueen wrote: Apr 29th, 2022, 12:54 pm Total dietary protein, and protein source related to risk of death and heart disease 25 year later.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30968137/
Seems like a reasonable conclusion. It must be noted though that all the variables have to be considered in the study. Does dietary protein intake correlate with intake of beer or spirits? Is a vegetarian less likely to drink beer than a meat eater? do they exercise more? Are they more likely to be around second hand smoke?
Is it the meat or the way it was prepared, ie. blackened on the BBQ?
I saw one Finnish study that compared two group of people who ate the customary national dishes but the main difference was that one group lived where drinking beer was more common due to the isolation and were more diseased as a result.
A lot depends on where the meat was sourced as well, grass fed or corn fed?
I personally do not eat any animal protein except for wild caught salmon or sardines, so I don’t have a dog in that fight. We do know that people who live near the sea in blue zones have healthier teeth based on observation alone.
People who live in blue zones live longer. The Mediterranean diet is highly touted as the best diet but one has to be careful with what is and what is not traditional Mediterranean Diet fare.
Waste not
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

GordonH wrote: Apr 29th, 2022, 10:33 am Stop eating unhealthy carbohydrates and refined sugars ie corn syrup etc... etc. I’m sure Dr. Poster will appose this, so :swear: it.
I agree totally. High fructose corn syrup is one of the three big ones. Highly refined wheat flour and refined seed oil are the other two. When eating carbohydrates you want to ensure they are wrapped up in a bundle of soluble and insoluble fibres that are in those same foods. I use sweet potatoes as an example, Okinawans for example lived on them until they were a ripe old age and they did not suffer from metabolic syndrome. Refined carbohydrates are different in that the glucose goes straight into the blood and raises blood glucose rapidly. So yes you can live on a high carb diet but it needs to be the right ones.
Waste not
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

Back in June a patient, Brian Shelton received stem cells and is doing well...

"Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite." - Charles Spurgeon
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Would definitely life changing for type 1 diabetics. Now if we could only change the poor diets that are turning normal people into type 2 and type 3 diabetics.
Waste not
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Grandan wrote: May 12th, 2022, 10:58 pm
Would definitely life changing for type 1 diabetics. Now if we could only change the poor diets that are turning normal people into type 2 and type 3 diabetics.
For the most part individuals lifestyle got them into type 2 and it will take change of that lifestyle to get out. Those who have damaged internal organs due to type 2 their maybe no return.

This is a huge game changer to type 1 :up: :up:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

I think stem cell treatments could help some type 2 diabetics as well. Potentially, still being researched of course.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7000334/
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

Different direction from standard medical practice and some here will call this radical thinking, but it does bolster the need to diagnose acute vs chronic disease and address the root cause vs managing symptoms.
"Sincerity makes the very least person to be of more value than the most talented hypocrite." - Charles Spurgeon
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

hozzle wrote: May 13th, 2022, 9:48 pm youtubehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaY4m00wXpw/youtube

Different direction from standard medical practice and some here will call this radical thinking, but it does bolster the need to diagnose acute vs chronic disease and address the root cause vs managing symptoms.
So he knew nothing about Vit D deficiency in infants? (I call bs on that) Medicine has known about this for decades, vast majority of parents are told about Vit d supplemention for babies. I distinctly recall when people were supposed to put their children in the sun to prevent Vit d deficiency or give cod liver oil in the winter. Everyone knows this unless they've been living under a rock. Same goes for vit C deficiency. Now he thinks he can cure everything, yet , strangely, he hasn't. Anyone can gleanthe information from the internet these days, he has no secret. For how long (at least 60 years) have doctors said, Eat in moderation, eat healthy food, blanced diet, exercise, socialize. This is not rocket science. You don't need an MD to figure this out.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/phe- ... -vitamin-d
"How Much Vitamin D Do Infants Need? According to the NHS and UK Department of Health, children under one year of age require 8.5 to 10 micrograms (or 340 to 100 International Units) of vitamin D per day (2). This dose of vitamin D should be kept up for children under 14."
In Finland, they figured out some years ago that Vit d deficiency in childhood could affect type 1 diabetes rates, so they fixed that.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2900448/
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

Silverstarqueen wrote: May 14th, 2022, 7:43 am So he knew nothing about Vit D deficiency in infants? (I call bs on that) Medicine has known about this for decades, vast majority of parents are told about Vit d supplemention for babies. I distinctly recall when people were supposed to put their children in the sun to prevent Vit d deficiency or give cod liver oil in the winter. Everyone knows this unless they've been living under a rock. Same goes for vit C deficiency. Now he thinks he can cure everything, yet , strangely, he hasn't. Anyone can gleanthe information from the internet these days, he has no secret. For how long (at least 60 years) have doctors said, Eat in moderation, eat healthy food, blanced diet, exercise, socialize. This is not rocket science. You don't need an MD to figure this out.
"How Much Vitamin D Do Infants Need? According to the NHS and UK Department of Health, children under one year of age require 8.5 to 10 micrograms (or 340 to 100 International Units) of vitamin D per day (2). This dose of vitamin D should be kept up for children under 14."
In Finland, they figured out some years ago that Vit d deficiency in childhood could affect type 1 diabetes rates, so they fixed that.
Discrediting a doctor that has probably don't more for people than most on this bard is sad.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangan_Chatterjee

To take from this talk that revolves around medical practice and just filtering out a issue with Vitamin D deficiency knowledge is myopic.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

hozzle wrote: May 14th, 2022, 9:03 am
Silverstarqueen wrote: May 14th, 2022, 7:43 am So he knew nothing about Vit D deficiency in infants? (I call bs on that) Medicine has known about this for decades, vast majority of parents are told about Vit d supplemention for babies. I distinctly recall when people were supposed to put their children in the sun to prevent Vit d deficiency or give cod liver oil in the winter. Everyone knows this unless they've been living under a rock. Same goes for vit C deficiency. Now he thinks he can cure everything, yet , strangely, he hasn't. Anyone can gleanthe information from the internet these days, he has no secret. For how long (at least 60 years) have doctors said, Eat in moderation, eat healthy food, blanced diet, exercise, socialize. This is not rocket science. You don't need an MD to figure this out.
Discrediting a doctor that has probably don't more for people than most on this bard is sad.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rangan_Chatterjee

To take from this talk that revolves around medical practice and just filtering out a issue with Vitamin D deficiency knowledge is myopic.
And his kid was hospitalized for vit D deficiency, which can be fatal. Do you know how rare that level of stupidity is? Had he never heard of vitamins? Didn;t take his baby to a doctor or infant nutritionist/baby nurse, to discuss adequate nutrition? Ever? Never picked up a book on infant nutrition?
This reason for hospitalization only happens to about 10 in 100,000 babies, so how did the other 99,990 babies get so lucky to have parents that gave them adequate vitamins? Because their parents learned what they were supposed to feed their kid, that;s why.

So now he gives big talks to the public where he gives standard advice: Eat a healthy diet, in moderation, exercise, etc, and he claims he can cure diseases. A nice gig if you can get it, lol. He can make far more giving a talk like' that to hundreds, than actually treating patients. Nutritionists have known this for years, but now he's figured it out and he's a miracle worker. Do you really think those people in the audience have not heard about eating healthy, exercising, reducing stress?
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

Silverstarqueen wrote: May 14th, 2022, 10:27 am And his kid was hospitalized for vit D deficiency, which can be fatal. Do you know how rare that level of stupidity is? Had he never heard of vitamins? Didn;t take his baby to a doctor or infant nutritionist/baby nurse, to discuss adequate nutrition? Ever? Never picked up a book on infant nutrition?
This reason for hospitalization only happens to about 10 in 100,000 babies, so how did the other 99,990 babies get so lucky to have parents that gave them adequate vitamins? Because their parents learned what they were supposed to feed their kid, that;s why.

So now he gives big talks to the public where he gives standard advice: Eat a healthy diet, in moderation, exercise, etc, and he claims he can cure diseases. A nice gig if you can get it, lol. He can make far more giving a talk like' that to hundreds, than actually treating patients. Nutritionists have known this for years, but now he's figured it out and he's a miracle worker. Do you really think those people in the audience have not heard about eating healthy, exercising, reducing stress?
We can debate all day about credentials, but the fact remains this doctors short comings, in some peoples narrow minds, will be more credible than most on this board... simple fact... you can deny all you want, it's your prerogative, albeit unfortunate in my opinion.
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Post by liisgo »

Silverstarqueen wrote: May 14th, 2022, 10:27 am Do you really think those people in the audience have not heard about eating healthy, exercising, reducing stress?
It's not as easy as you think. Just look at how many still cannot understand the above and how it can save your life from covid.
Yes, you would think that people could at least stop the need for ignoring it, for hiding it, for using mis information to conceal it. People not understanding eating healthy, exercising etc. it the biggest burden on our system. The cause of majority of our covid severity and death.
People are science and health deniers only because they are choosing to be to not have to deal with things that seem to difficult for far too many.
Ignorance in place of the need for political control and being politically correct has to be held to an accountability today.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

There’s been evidence right from the beginning of the Pandemic that obesity is a huge risk factor for a poor Covid outcome. Yet that fact wasn’t as widely disseminated by our Public Health authorities, or mainstream media, as it ought to have been. And I suspect the reason for that had something to do with society’s current obsession with “political correctness”.

It’s no coincidence that diabetes is also a huge risk factor for a poor Covid outcome because, in the case of Type 2 diabetes, that also is often associated with obesity.

This failure to provide us with all the relevant facts, because of some misguided sense of “political correctness” makes one wonder what other facts were withheld for the same, or similar, reasons? After all, if we were faithfully “following the science” the possibility of causing offence to certain groups shouldn’t have been an issue.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

Return to “Health”