Growing/sharing/learning to garden: 2022

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Growing/sharing/learning to garden: 2022

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Lady tehMa wrote: May 13th, 2022, 9:36 am bb49 - will you miss it? Are you doing any container gardening?

In other news - did you see the white on the mountains this morning? :200:
Oh yes, we'll miss it.
Various types of squash.
Pumpkins for the kids.
Potatoes.
Green beans.
Blueberries.
Rhubarb that's been in our family since at least the '50s.
Etc.

Next year I'll sign up for a community garden. There's a couple near us and we'll get growing some herbs on the balcony.

And we have this.
20220513_192803.jpg
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Don’t wait until next year to sign up bb49. There is a wait list so best to get on it asap.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Catsumi wrote: May 13th, 2022, 7:41 pm Don’t wait until next year to sign up bb49. There is a wait list so best to get on it asap.
I need to get thru this next week first, and dark clouds are forming.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

bb49 wrote: May 13th, 2022, 7:30 pm we'll get growing some herbs on the balcony.
Will the strata allow you to grow anything other than flowers on the balcony?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

oneh2obabe wrote: May 13th, 2022, 9:13 pm
bb49 wrote: May 13th, 2022, 7:30 pm we'll get growing some herbs on the balcony.
Will the strata allow you to grow anything other than flowers on the balcony?
I sure hope so.
Top floor, corner unit so not too visible to nosey people.
We'll grow herbs, but not that smelly stuff.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

bb49 wrote: May 13th, 2022, 7:30 pm Oh yes, we'll miss it.
Various types of squash.
Pumpkins for the kids.
Potatoes.
Green beans.
Blueberries.
Rhubarb that's been in our family since at least the '50s.
Etc.

Next year I'll sign up for a community garden. There's a couple near us and we'll get growing some herbs on the balcony.

And we have this.
20220513_192803.jpg
That's amazing! I have a rhubarb that belonged to an elderly neighbour - Mrs. Larsen. I think of her from time to time when I harvest.

That is a pretty neat little indoor setup, too :)

I'm going to the Greenery today, going to get my Mom's day baskets from the kids - they gave me a gift certificate so I can choose what I want. Plus, well, plants. :biggrin:
I haven't failed until I quit.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Scored some nice Blanket Flowers today. And some Rose Food for practically nothing. Gave away lots of plants and Grape Hyacinyth bulbs. Which exceed their limits. Ahhh gardening, where you get done a quarter of what you set out to do, all day.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

While I was pulling up some radishes today to go into salad, I noticed that even though it is bloody cold for mid-May, the Dreaded Earwigs are awake and hungry. :cuss: They’ve been nipping at not just the leaves but at tops of radish bulbs too. In normal times all my radishes would be pulled up but cold has delayed their maturity, a lot.

In the meantime my zuc seedings are up (2 leafs), green beans at bend-over stage and first cuc seedling made its appearannce. Lettuce plants booming along at 7 leaf stage. Lightly cropped scallion tops for the salad.

This cold weather needs a kick in the azzz. Be gone. It’s almost June!
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Queen K wrote: May 14th, 2022, 4:51 pm Scored some nice Blanket Flowers today. And some Rose Food for practically nothing. Gave away lots of plants and Grape Hyacinth bulbs. Which exceed their limits. Ahhh gardening, where you get done a quarter of what you set out to do, all day.
Isn't that the truth!!

I have planted some more spinach, beets, and kohlrabi. I am trying celeriac for the first time as well. Cukes, squash, peppers & tomatoes are on the deck, hardening off. Next weekend will be the Big Plant and I am stocking up on pain killers & muscle relaxants :admin:

The shade baskets I picked up as my Mom's Day gift:
shade baskets 2020.jpg
I really love the baskets the Greenery has.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

^^ looks good. Very attractive baskets Lady T

Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Catsumi wrote: May 15th, 2022, 6:48 pm ^^ looks good. Very attractive baskets Lady T
Thanks, Cat :)

It was SO hard to choose. I used to get red/white begonia baskets. Then I started getting begonia baskets with bronze leafed/yellow flowers. This year I wandered the aisles for quite some time before I found these. I have done the Fuschia baskets before, but the begonias seem to do better in the spot they hang. I was quite tempted to go with their mixed shade baskets - but they are more expensive and only available online this year. Maybe next year :130:

In other news, I set some beans to soak and I should probably get those in the ground soon :/
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Good to see Lady t. The Greenry had superior choices this year.

I'm pulling together the blue and yellow theme, shot with purple for Purple Heart for the Ukraine soldiers, look in the front wheelbarrels.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Queen K wrote: May 16th, 2022, 10:33 pm Good to see Lady t. The Greenery had superior choices this year.

I'm pulling together the blue and yellow theme, shot with purple for Purple Heart for the Ukraine soldiers, look in the front wheel barrels.
You are so creative! I don't think I ever really plan my plantings, they sort of just . . . happen. :admin:
Garden may 16 a.jpg
Garden may 16 e.jpg
Garden may 16 f.jpg
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Nice! My white Bleeding Heart is getting as big as your pink plant there, what is that? You should see the Bleeding Heart across the street, HUGE!

Planters are easier to manipulate with different annuals per year, easier but much more expensive. This year I am using self-seeded pansies to in-fill areas til the bought annuals take over. It's working. I did buy more xeriscape plants and as soon as the Iris are finished I plan to replace over half of them. What a process we go through. :admin:
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Queen K wrote: May 17th, 2022, 9:28 am Nice! My white Bleeding Heart is getting as big as your pink plant there, what is that? You should see the Bleeding Heart across the street, HUGE!

Planters are easier to manipulate with different annuals per year, easier but much more expensive. This year I am using self-seeded pansies to in-fill areas til the bought annuals take over. It's working. I did buy more xeriscape plants and as soon as the Iris are finished I plan to replace over half of them. What a process we go through. :admin:
The pink one up top is a bergenia, and the pink one in the middle is a fern-leaf bleeding heart. I bought bare root bleeding hearts at Costco (2 packs of 6). I put them in pots to start as I haven't the planned place ready. So far, 2 have sprouted :/ At least with Costco, I can return them if the rest fail . . .

I really love bleeding hearts. I have a gold leaf, a pale pink, a few white, and the standard deep pink scattered around. Plus the white and pink fern-leaf under the trees. I love old fashioned cottage-style gardens with everything just a riot of colour and foliage.

I hereby charge all of you to start posting pics. I'll even take house plants :130: because gardening is gardening; indoors or out.

Return to “Creative Endeavours”