Gun Control

Nedroj
Übergod

Re: Gun Control

Post by Nedroj »

foenix wrote: May 25th, 2022, 8:36 am
Nedroj wrote: May 25th, 2022, 8:14 am
I'm just going to keep reposting what I've already stated as it seems you are unable or unwilling to even read the details of what I'm posting. Both addressed SUICIDE BY FIREARMS directly. .
Spinning it all you want. The fact is Less Guns = Less Gun Deaths

That's why in places where there are less guns there is a corresponding decline in deaths by guns suicides or other gun deaths. That's the bottom line even though you desperately want to change the narrative and compare apples to oranges.
Except I'm not spinning anything. You are. Anyone that is reading this is going to look at your comments and look at my StatsCan linked data and the quotes and know right away, that you are full of it.

In Canada, about 80 percent of firearm-related deaths are suicides (Hung, 1997). The total number of suicides, including those committed with a firearm, rose consistently during the 1960s and most of the 1970s. In the late 1970s, suicide rates leveled out and decreased modestly, and fewer people used firearms to commit suicide. Researchers also noted considerable regional variations in these trends (Department of Justice, 1996: 45; Hung, 1997a).

In the 1970s, firearm suicides represented 35.6 percent of the total number of suicides in Canada. That figure fell to 32 percent in the 1980s and to 27.8 percent in the first six years of the 1990s (Department of Justice Canada, 1996:46; Hung, 1997). In 1995, almost a quarter of the 4,000 people who committed suicide in Canada used a firearm.

In contrast with the prevailing situation in the United States, where handguns are more commonly used in suicide attempts, it is clear from available data that when a firearm is used in a suicide attempt in Canada, it generally tends to be a long gun. The report of The Firearms Smuggling Group included information on all firearms recovered in one year by ten police agencies across the country. Eighty percent of the 264 recovered firearms that had been involved in an attempted or completed suicide were long guns (Department of Justice Canada, 1995b; see also: Proactive Information Services, 1997).

So you are proposing to take away millions of legal hunting rifles from law-abiding citizens because 25% of suicides (1000 people) used a similar long gun?

You also mention Japan due to its incredibly low suicide rate by firearms. Yes due to firearms regulations regular citizens are not allowed to own one.

Yet the TOTAL suicide rate in Japan (17.9) per 100,000 pop is far worse than Canada's rate of 12.9 per 100,000 pop and is even worse than the USA suicide rate.
Total suicide and firearm suicide rates per 100,000 population vary considerably from one country to another. Canada’s total suicide rate of 12.9 is similar to Australia (12.7), Norway (12.3), and the United States (11.5). Estonia (40) and Japan (17.9) are among the countries that have higher rates than Canada,

. In 2000, suicide was the 6th cause of death in Japan
https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/rp-pr/csj ... _4/p4.html

The percentage of suicides involving a firearm, for both males and females, varies considerably across regions and is associated with, among other things, the availability of firearms. For example, while current research indicates that suicides are more frequent in urban areas (Carrington and Moyer, 1994), the percentage of suicides involving a firearm tends to be lower in urban areas than in rural ones (Moyer and Carrington, 1992).

Ethnic factors may also affect the choice of suicide method (Lester, 1994). In Canada, firearm suicide rates are highest among aboriginal people; however, the percentage of suicides involving a firearm, as opposed to other methods, is lower among aboriginal people than it is for non-aboriginal victims (Carrington and Moyer, 1994a; Malchy et al., 1997; Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples, 1994; Sigurdson et al., 1994: 400). In Australia, Burnley (1995) found that some regional and social class factors were associated with the means of committing suicide.

All of these observations confirm there are several factors that intervene in the choice of suicide methods.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Stop making this personal. Discuss the topic, not each other.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Nedroj wrote: May 25th, 2022, 9:20 am
foenix wrote: May 25th, 2022, 8:36 am

Spinning it all you want. The fact is Less Guns = Less Gun Deaths

That's why in places where there are less guns there is a corresponding decline in deaths by guns suicides or other gun deaths. That's the bottom line even though you desperately want to change the narrative and compare apples to oranges.
Except I'm not spinning anything. You are. Anyone that is reading this is going to look at your comments and look at my StatsCan linked data and the quotes and know right away, that you are full of it.

In Canada, about 80 percent of firearm-related deaths are suicides (Hung, 1997). The total number of suicides, including those committed with a firearm, rose consistently during the 1960s and most of the 1970s. In the late 1970s, suicide rates leveled out and decreased modestly, and fewer people used firearms to commit suicide. Researchers also noted considerable regional variations in these trends (Department of Justice, 1996: 45; Hung, 1997a).

In the 1970s, firearm suicides represented 35.6 percent of the total number of suicides in Canada. That figure fell to 32 percent in the 1980s and to 27.8 percent in the first six years of the 1990s (Department of Justice Canada, 1996:46; Hung, 1997). In 1995, almost a quarter of the 4,000 people who committed suicide in Canada used a firearm.

In contrast with the prevailing situation in the United States, where handguns are more commonly used in suicide attempts, it is clear from available data that when a firearm is used in a suicide attempt in Canada, it generally tends to be a long gun. The report of The Firearms Smuggling Group included information on all firearms recovered in one year by ten police agencies across the country. Eighty percent of the 264 recovered firearms that had been involved in an attempted or completed suicide were long guns (Department of Justice Canada, 1995b; see also: Proactive Information Services, 1997).

So you are proposing to take away millions of legal hunting rifles from law-abiding citizens because 25% of suicides (1000 people) used a similar long gun?

You also mention Japan due to its incredibly low suicide rate by firearms. Yes due to firearms regulations regular citizens are not allowed to own one.

Yet the TOTAL suicide rate in Japan (17.9) per 100,000 pop is far worse than Canada's rate of 12.9 per 100,000 pop and is even worse than the USA suicide rate.
Total suicide and firearm suicide rates per 100,000 population vary considerably from one country to another. Canada’s total suicide rate of 12.9 is similar to Australia (12.7), Norway (12.3), and the United States (11.5). Estonia (40) and Japan (17.9) are among the countries that have higher rates than Canada,

. In 2000, suicide was the 6th cause of death in Japan

The percentage of suicides involving a firearm, for both males and females, varies considerably across regions and is associated with, among other things, the availability of firearms. For example, while current research indicates that suicides are more frequent in urban areas (Carrington and Moyer, 1994), the percentage of suicides involving a firearm tends to be lower in urban areas than in rural ones (Moyer and Carrington, 1992).

Ethnic factors may also affect the choice of suicide method (Lester, 1994). In Canada, firearm suicide rates are highest among aboriginal people; however, the percentage of suicides involving a firearm, as opposed to other methods, is lower among aboriginal people than it is for non-aboriginal victims (Carrington and Moyer, 1994a; Malchy et al., 1997; Royal Commission on Aboriginal Peoples, 1994; Sigurdson et al., 1994: 400). In Australia, Burnley (1995) found that some regional and social class factors were associated with the means of committing suicide.

All of these observations confirm there are several factors that intervene in the choice of suicide methods.
Once again, this thread isn't about total suicides it's about GUN DEATHS from Suicides. That's why this thread is titled "Gun Control". I know there is a reading comprehension problem here but if one wanted to start a thread on suicides in general.....be my guest. But here, this illustrate the problem of having too many guns in society. I mean we already see the out of control gun problem to our neighbour to the South of us.
b.PNG
See the graph, we have the 7th highest gun ownership in the world at 34.70 guns owned per 100,000. Australia is at 13.6 guns per 100,000. See the difference in deaths by suicides and homicides by the respective countries. Aust. at .72 (suicides) and 0.15 (homicides). Canada is at 1.42 (suicides) and 0.52 (homicides). That's the direct relationship of more Guns = more Gun Deaths.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

oldtrucker wrote: May 25th, 2022, 12:46 pm 34.7 per 100,000 feonix? Better recheck your numbers you posted. It's per 100
Oh yeah...sorry, 34.7 per 100.....tied for 7th most in the world.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

oldtrucker wrote: May 25th, 2022, 12:19 pm Watch... Thecuck will try to use what happened yesterday in the US as a excuse to implement more gun control in Canada
No need, we have our own issues......

Montreal Is Calling For A Canada-Wide Handgun Ban After Shots Were Fired At A Daycare
Montreal Mayor Valerie Plante has renewed her call on the federal government to ban handguns and assault weapons in Canada after a daycare in Rivière-des-Prairies was hit with bullets on Tuesday afternoon. No one at Bambino Village on André Ampère Avenue was injured when gunfire peppered the front of the daycare around 5:30 p.m., but children from a nearby primary school were outside at the time of the incident.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/mo ... li=AAggNb9
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

oldtrucker wrote: May 25th, 2022, 1:00 pm Just think....if western Canada separates then it can be just thier issue not ours. Who cares what anyone from Quebec says or wants?
Yeah, I know eh....they just passed a law that everyone must be able to speak French in Quebec to hold a government job, attend school, appear in court.
Bring back the LIKE button.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Apparently, they have a lot to say in who runs the country unlike the Western Provinces.
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

foenix wrote: May 25th, 2022, 12:51 pm
oldtrucker wrote: May 25th, 2022, 12:19 pm Watch... Thecuck will try to use what happened yesterday in the US as a excuse to implement more gun control in Canada
No need, we have our own issues......

Montreal Is Calling For A Canada-Wide Handgun Ban After Shots Were Fired At A Daycare
Montreal Mayor Valerie Plante has renewed her call on the federal government to ban handguns and assault weapons in Canada after a daycare in Rivière-des-Prairies was hit with bullets on Tuesday afternoon. No one at Bambino Village on André Ampère Avenue was injured when gunfire peppered the front of the daycare around 5:30 p.m., but children from a nearby primary school were outside at the time of the incident.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/mo ... li=AAggNb9
Another misguided politico, criminals are already banned from owning guns and that doesn't seem to have stopped them
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
featfan
Guru

Post by featfan »

Make no mistake. Canadian Liberal politicians have tabled legislation to remove mandatory minimum sentences for some serious, violent gun crimes. But boy, do they ever beat the *bleep* out of legal, licensed, RCMP vetted gun owners.

This is where we are.

All to be repealed

Using a firearm or imitation firearm in commission of offence (two separate offences)
Paragraphs 85(3)(a) and (b): MMPs of 1 year (first offence) and 3 years (second and subsequent offence)
Possession of firearm or weapon knowing its possession is unauthorized (two separate offences)
Paragraphs 92(3)(b) and (c): MMP of 1 year (second offence) and 2 years less a day (third and subsequent offence)
Possession of prohibited or restricted firearm with ammunition
Paragraphs 95(2)(i) and (ii): MMPs of 3 years (first offence) and 5 years (second and subsequent offence)
Possession of weapon obtained by commission of offence
Paragraph 96(2)(a): MMP of 1 year
Weapons trafficking (excluding firearms and ammunition)
Subsection 99(3): MMP of 1 year
Possession for purpose of weapons trafficking (excluding firearms and ammunition)
Subsection 100(3): MMP of 1 year
Importing or exporting knowing it is unauthorized
Subsection 103(2.1): MMP of 1 year
Discharging firearm with intent
Paragraph 244(2)(b): MMP of 4 years
Discharging firearm — recklessness
Paragraph 244.2(3)(b): MMP of 4 years
Robbery with a firearm
Paragraph 344(1)(a.1): MMP of 4 years
Extortion with a firearm
Paragraph 346(1.1)(a.1): MMP of 4 years
Selling, etc., of tobacco products and raw leaf tobacco
Subparagraphs 121.1 (4)(a)(i),(ii) and (iii): MMPs of 90 days (second offence), MMP of 180 days (third offence) and MMP of 2 years less a day (fourth and subsequent offence)
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

foenix wrote: May 25th, 2022, 9:45 am

Once again, this thread isn't about total suicides it's about GUN DEATHS from Suicides. That's why this thread is titled "Gun Control". I know there is a reading comprehension problem here but if one wanted to start a thread on suicides in general.....be my guest. But here, this illustrate the problem of having too many guns in society. I mean we already see the out of control gun problem to our neighbour to the South of us.

b.PNG

See the graph, we have the 7th highest gun ownership in the world at 34.70 guns owned per 100,000. Australia is at 13.6 guns per 100,000. See the difference in deaths by suicides and homicides by the respective countries. Aust. at .72 (suicides) and 0.15 (homicides). Canada is at 1.42 (suicides) and 0.52 (homicides). That's the direct relationship of more Guns = more Gun Deaths.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/82- ... g.htm#cvsd

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/82- ... t2-eng.htm

Over the past ten years, the most common method of suicide in Canada has been hanging (44%), which includes strangulation and suffocation; followed by poisoning (25%) and firearm use (16%).

Males were most likely to commit suicide by hanging (46%) while females most often died by poisoning (42%) (Chart 2). Males (20%) were far more likely to use firearms than females (3%).

When examining firearm suicides, the Canadian rate of 3.3 per 100,000 population is similar to Australia (2.4), and New Zealand (2.5), and much lower than Finland (5.8), and the United States (7.2).
Pay attention to the last one there FIREARM SUICIDE RATES for Canada 3.3. The firearm Suicide rate for Australia/New Zealand 2.4/2.5.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... by-country

Now lets look at gun ownership in these three countries.

Canada 34.7
New Zealand 26.3
Australia 14.5

By your logic "More guns = more gun deaths" Canada should have over twice the suicide rate by firearm as Australia.
Yet all three have very similar suicide by firearm rates.........

Much like your grammar, your logic is also flawed.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Nedroj wrote: May 25th, 2022, 2:37 pm
Over the past ten years, the most common method of suicide in Canada has been hanging (44%), which includes strangulation and suffocation; followed by poisoning (25%) and firearm use (16%).

Males were most likely to commit suicide by hanging (46%) while females most often died by poisoning (42%) (Chart 2). Males (20%) were far more likely to use firearms than females (3%).

When examining firearm suicides, the Canadian rate of 3.3 per 100,000 population is similar to Australia (2.4), and New Zealand (2.5), and much lower than Finland (5.8), and the United States (7.2).
Pay attention to the last one there FIREARM SUICIDE RATES for Canada 3.3. The firearm Suicide rate for Australia/New Zealand 2.4/2.5.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... by-country

Now lets look at gun ownership in these three countries.

Canada 34.7
New Zealand 26.3
Australia 14.5

By your logic "More guns = more gun deaths" Canada should have over twice the suicide rate by firearm as Australia.
Yet all three have very similar suicide by firearm rates.........

Much like your grammar, your logic is also flawed.
[icon_lol2.gif] Much like the reading comprehension, the lack of attention to details and dates is astounding. Try looking at the dates on the Canadian government website especially the date citations when they are quoting all those stats. They haven't bothered to update their data, summery or the conclusion since they used the statistics from the 90's. I'm thinking you haven't noticed that hey? In this case the Wiki links for the various rate of suicide by firearms for the different countries are more up to date and accurate. Australia and New Zealand haven't seen suicide by firearms at 2.4/2.5 per 100,000 since the 90's.....since then both country's suicide by firearms rate per 100K have steady gone down to what it is now ( well to 2016) to 0.72 for Australia and 0.92 for New Zealand. Here you might want to catch up and use more recent stats that doesn't depend on stats from the 90's. This one is interactive from gunPolicy.Org and will give you the rate of firearm suicide death per 100,000 for every country since the 90's....... all you have to do is spell it correctly :biggrin: . Pay particular attention to Australia and New Zealand in the 90's when their suicide death by firearms were close with ours but not anymore because we have the 7th highest gun ownership in the world now.

https://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/comp ... un_suicide
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

foenix wrote: May 25th, 2022, 9:45 am
Nedroj wrote: May 25th, 2022, 9:20 am

b.PNG

Once again I'd like to point out that this forum is about "gun control", not about "GUN DEATHS from Suicides"
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

It's gun violence and gun control is part of that but I know a little inconvenient fact for y'all gun lovers because we aren't writing about gun homicides and illegal guns which is a small part of the overall gun violence problem in Canada.
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

foenix wrote: May 25th, 2022, 7:12 pm It's gun violence and gun control is part of that but I know a little inconvenient fact for y'all gun lovers because we aren't writing about gun homicides and illegal guns which is a small part of the overall gun violence problem in Canada.
You are woefully wrong, I am not a gun lover, I am a hunter and a sport shooter. You are maligning me, a lot of my friends, and the firearms community as a whole. All you do is parrot the misinformation from the PMO. National range day is coming up at all the fish and game clubs, we'll show you how to operate firearms safely and let you poke some holes in paper. You'd have a great time and learn a lot, and it's all free. If you do indeed have an open mind, we'll see you there !
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

mikest2 wrote: May 25th, 2022, 7:26 pm
foenix wrote: May 25th, 2022, 7:12 pm It's gun violence and gun control is part of that but I know a little inconvenient fact for y'all gun lovers because we aren't writing about gun homicides and illegal guns which is a small part of the overall gun violence problem in Canada.
You are woefully wrong, I am not a gun lover, I am a hunter and a sport shooter. You are maligning me, a lot of my friends, and the firearms community as a whole. All you do is parrot the misinformation from the PMO. National range day is coming up at all the fish and game clubs, we'll show you how to operate firearms safely and let you poke some holes in paper. You'd have a great time and learn a lot, and it's all free. If you do indeed have an open mind, we'll see you there !
What misinformation, if there is anything I wrote that is misinformation, please point them out. Btw, I grew up in the States, got my sharpshooter rating from the NRA (way back when) and taken handgun safety courses so it's not like I'm a novice.

I do feel for y'all tho, like in anything else, it only takes a few bad apples to tarnish the entire basket of responsible gun owners but it is what it is with the bad apples.

Return to “Canada”