Gun Control

mikest2
Lord of the Board

Re: Gun Control

Post by mikest2 »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 26th, 2022, 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on May 26th, 2022, 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

*removed*
Reason: Response to removed post.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

*removed*
Reason: Response to removed post.
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

foenix wrote: May 25th, 2022, 7:03 pm

[icon_lol2.gif] Much like the reading comprehension, the lack of attention to details and dates is astounding. Try looking at the dates on the Canadian government website especially the date citations when they are quoting all those stats. They haven't bothered to update their data, summery or the conclusion since they used the statistics from the 90's. I'm thinking you haven't noticed that hey? In this case the Wiki links for the various rate of suicide by firearms for the different countries are more up to date and accurate. Australia and New Zealand haven't seen suicide by firearms at 2.4/2.5 per 100,000 since the 90's.....since then both country's suicide by firearms rate per 100K have steady gone down to what it is now ( well to 2016) to 0.72 for Australia and 0.92 for New Zealand. Here you might want to catch up and use more recent stats that doesn't depend on stats from the 90's. This one is interactive from gunPolicy.Org and will give you the rate of firearm suicide death per 100,000 for every country since the 90's....... all you have to do is spell it correctly :biggrin: . Pay particular attention to Australia and New Zealand in the 90's when their suicide death by firearms were close with ours but not anymore because we have the 7th highest gun ownership in the world now.

https://www.gunpolicy.org/firearms/comp ... un_suicide

Firearm ownership per country in 2022:
https://worldpopulationreview.com/count ... by-country

Canada:
Total Firearms Civilian owned: 12.7 million
Rate: 34.70
Military Firearms: 233,949
Law Enforcement firearms: 103,000

Australia:
Total Firearms Civilian owned: 3.6 million
Rate:14.50
Military Firearms: 214,520
Law Enforcement firearms: 69,000

New Zealand:
Total Firearms Civilian owned: 1.2 million
Rate: 26.30
Military Firearms: 38,280
Law Enforcement firearms: 13,000

Gun Violence per Country in 2022:

Canada:
Firearm related death rate per 100,000 pop: 2.05
Homicide rate per year: 0.61
Suicide rate per year: 1.52
Total Deaths number per year: 767

Australia:
Firearm related death rate per 100,000 pop: 1.04
Homicide rate per year: 0.18
Suicide rate per year: 0.8
Total Death number per year: 262

New Zealand:
Firearm related death rate per 100,000 pop: 1.07
Homicide rate per year: 0.11
Suicide rate per year: 0.84
Total death number per year: 51

Now that I've provided 2022 data for all three countries on GUN VIOLENCE stats, please explain your logic when New Zealand has very similar rates of Gun Violence to Australia, yet New Zealand has gun ownership rates much much closer to Canada's than Australia's?

Your logic that more guns equal more gun violence isn't accurate.

None of this has anything to do with gun ownership and everything to do with mental health which affects all humans across the entire globe.

In our civilized world, it is not normal human behavior to kill another human. Therefore it is logical to assume that anyone that has killed anyone in cold blood is not normal and clearly that person is suffering from some sort of mental health issue.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Nedroj wrote: May 26th, 2022, 8:36 am
Now that I've provided 2022 data for all three countries on GUN VIOLENCE stats, please explain your logic when New Zealand has very similar rates of Gun Violence to Australia, yet New Zealand has gun ownership rates much much closer to Canada's than Australia's?

Your logic that more guns equal more gun violence isn't accurate.

None of this has anything to do with gun ownership and everything to do with mental health which affects all humans across the entire globe.

In our civilized world, it is not normal human behavior to kill another human. Therefore it is logical to assume that anyone that has killed anyone in cold blood is not normal and clearly that person is suffering from some sort of mental health issue.
:biggrin: Let Harvard explain it to you....

Where there are more guns there is more homicide (literature review)

Across high-income nations, more guns = more homicide

Across states, more guns = more homicide

More guns = more homicides of police

Gun availability is a risk factor for suicide

Across states, more guns = more suicide

Differences in mental health cannot explain the regional more guns = more suicide connection

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/fire ... and-death/

BTW.....I'm glad you've caught up to some of your stats from the 90's tho.
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

foenix wrote: May 26th, 2022, 8:46 am
Nedroj wrote: May 26th, 2022, 8:36 am
Canada:
Total Firearms Civilian owned: 12.7 million
Rate: 34.70
Military Firearms: 233,949
Law Enforcement firearms: 103,000

Australia:
Total Firearms Civilian owned: 3.6 million
Rate:14.50
Military Firearms: 214,520
Law Enforcement firearms: 69,000

New Zealand:
Total Firearms Civilian owned: 1.2 million
Rate: 26.30
Military Firearms: 38,280
Law Enforcement firearms: 13,000

Gun Violence per Country in 2022:

Canada:
Firearm related death rate per 100,000 pop: 2.05
Homicide rate per year: 0.61
Suicide rate per year: 1.52
Total Deaths number per year: 767

Australia:
Firearm related death rate per 100,000 pop: 1.04
Homicide rate per year: 0.18
Suicide rate per year: 0.8
Total Death number per year: 262

New Zealand:
Firearm related death rate per 100,000 pop: 1.07
Homicide rate per year: 0.11
Suicide rate per year: 0.84
Total death number per year: 51
:biggrin: Let Harvard explain it to you....

Where there are more guns there is more homicide (literature review)

Across high-income nations, more guns = more homicide

More guns = more homicides of police

Gun availability is a risk factor for suicide

Across states, more guns = more suicide

Differences in mental health cannot explain the regional more guns = more suicide connection

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/fire ... and-death/

BTW.....I'm glad you've caught up to some of your stats from the 90's tho.
Bolding your text doesn't prove any point other than you think "yelling" at me through text will all of a sudden make your horrible opinion, valid. It does not. And nothing you say in bold text will prove otherwise. The numbers are right there.

New Zealand has far more guns than Australia yet they have very similar and in some cases lower gun violence statistics.

Another example is Germany, They have more firearms than Canada. 12.7 million versus 15.8 million.
Yet their firearm related death rate per year is 0.99 which is almost the same as New Zealand and Australia and half the amount of Canada's.

Germany:
Homicide rate per year is 1.01
Suicide rate per year is 0.02
Total death number per year: 826

Germany in 2022:
Total Firearm civilian owned: 15.8 million
Gun ownership rate: 19.60
Military firearms: 483,016
Law Enforcement: 466,000
Last edited by Nedroj on May 26th, 2022, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
motokelowna1
Übergod

Post by motokelowna1 »

Being an Australian and have had friends that go Kangaroo , Duck and Goat hunting safety with these people was paramount . Now living in Canada closer to the crazies down south *bleep*. The audacity of the gun lobby its all about money. The supporters of the policies without public care should be shot. Then they will see the clock change quickly.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Nedroj wrote: May 26th, 2022, 9:18 am
Bolding your text without providing any link or info to back it up doesn't prove any point other than you think "yelling" at me through text will all of a sudden make your horrible opinion, valid. It does not. And nothing you say in bold text will prove otherwise. The numbers are right there.
[icon_lol2.gif] Morning ranting aside, like anything else, there will always be exceptions but the general rules of thumb still apply.....

Less Guns = Less Gun Deaths.
Last edited by foenix on May 26th, 2022, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

oldtrucker wrote: May 26th, 2022, 9:38 am
They're doing this because apparently it discriminates against indigenous, blacks, other immigrants/minorities. If your a old stock Canadian, you will adapt to accomodate them. How's immigration working for you guys?
Well if one's on a pension, don't they help the retirement plans?
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

foenix wrote: May 26th, 2022, 9:47 am
Nedroj wrote: May 26th, 2022, 9:18 am
Bolding your text without providing any link or info to back it up doesn't prove any point other than you think "yelling" at me through text will all of a sudden make your horrible opinion, valid. It does not. And nothing you say in bold text will prove otherwise. The numbers are right there.
[icon_lol2.gif] Morning ranting aside, like anything else, there will always be exceptions but the general rules still apply.....

Talk about old data? Maybe you should have looked at the dates first seen as how you criticized me for using 20+ year old data ranging across two decades. The data used in the Harvard studies spans only a few years of 20+year old stats.
Miller, Matthew; Azrael, Deborah; Hemenway, David. State-level homicide victimization rates in the U.S. in relation to survey measures of household firearm ownership, 2001-2003. Social Science and Medicine. 2007; 64:656-64.
Miller, Matthew; Azrael, Deborah; Hemenway, David. Household firearm ownership levels and homicide rates across U.S. regions and states, 1988-1997. American Journal of Public Health. 2002; 92:1988-1993.
Hemenway, David; Miller, Matthew. Firearm availability and homicide rates across 26 high income countries. Journal of Trauma. 2000; 49:985-88.
Hepburn, Lisa; Hemenway, David. Firearm availability and homicide: A review of the literature. Aggression and Violent Behavior: A Review Journal. 2004; 9:417-40.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

oldtrucker wrote: May 26th, 2022, 9:55 am
foenix wrote: May 26th, 2022, 9:49 am

Well if one's on a pension, don't they help the retirement plans?
Nope. Max out a credit card and if you can't pay for it taking another 2 credit cards to pay for the first one is a dead end road. 8 billion now. Give up on immigration and think about self preservation. We could have a nuclear war every May 28th and still have a growing global population.
So I'm thinking you're an advocate of the Thanos solution? :biggrin:
his stated goal is to “restore balance” to the universe. Thanos sees overpopulation as a threat and believes the solution is to kill half of all creatures so the other half can live better on the available resources.
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

Nedroj wrote: May 26th, 2022, 9:54 am
foenix wrote: May 26th, 2022, 9:47 am

[icon_lol2.gif] Morning ranting aside, like anything else, there will always be exceptions but the general rules still apply.....

Talk about old data? Maybe you should have looked at the dates first seen as how you criticized me for using 20+ year old data ranging across two decades. The data used in the Harvard studies spans only a few years of 20+year old stats.
Miller, Matthew; Azrael, Deborah; Hemenway, David. State-level homicide victimization rates in the U.S. in relation to survey measures of household firearm ownership, 2001-2003. Social Science and Medicine. 2007; 64:656-64.
Miller, Matthew; Azrael, Deborah; Hemenway, David. Household firearm ownership levels and homicide rates across U.S. regions and states, 1988-1997. American Journal of Public Health. 2002; 92:1988-1993.
Hemenway, David; Miller, Matthew. Firearm availability and homicide rates across 26 high income countries. Journal of Trauma. 2000; 49:985-88.
Hepburn, Lisa; Hemenway, David. Firearm availability and homicide: A review of the literature. Aggression and Violent Behavior: A Review Journal. 2004; 9:417-40.
Except they're Harvard and the conclusions made from those research papers still apply today unlike you're stat from the Canadian website that used outdated data and made erroneous conclusions that applied to today.......see the difference?.....prob not :biggrin:

If you feel the conclusion in the Harvard compilation is faulty....... please do share.
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

foenix wrote: May 26th, 2022, 10:12 am
Nedroj wrote: May 26th, 2022, 9:54 am

Except they're Harvard and the conclusions made from those research papers still apply today unlike you're stat from the Canadian website that used outdated data and made erroneous conclusions that applied to today.......see the difference?.....prob not :biggrin:

If you feel the conclusion in the Harvard compilation is faulty....... please do share.
Harvard....USA, Statistics...USA
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

mikest2 wrote: May 26th, 2022, 10:14 am
foenix wrote: May 26th, 2022, 10:12 am

Harvard....USA, Statistics...USA
Not following the discussion? it's not just about Canada right now but the Harvard studies do talk about other countries including Canada. I thought....."when the US catches a cold, Canada sneezes" tho', so by that same token Canadians can learn from our neighbour about what not to do......especially have all those guns.

Return to “Canada”