Gun Control

Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Gun Control

Post by Glacier »

foenix wrote: May 31st, 2022, 1:46 pm
.....btw.....how many mass slaughters have Australia experienced since the ban?
The same as before the one big shooting. Almost none.

But still some... here you go... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... _Australia
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Andrewski
Banned

Post by Andrewski »

Nedroj wrote: May 31st, 2022, 2:15 pm
Jonrox wrote: May 31st, 2022, 1:43 pm
Is your constant use of the name Justine instead of Justin meant to be an insult? Is it somehow insulting to be called a woman?
I thought calling a genetically born male, a female was being inclusive to the left-wing people?
Or is it an insult? I can't tell with today's generation of gender-confused idiots on social media.
Sounds like you're the confused one. You can't even show respect to other people and blame them for your ineptitude and lack of understanding?

Classic right winger. Project more insecurities, please.
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Post by liisgo »

Glacier wrote: May 31st, 2022, 1:40 pm

The gun legislation didn't do anything in Australia.

viewtopic.php?p=1394927#p1394927
Hmmm...yet there are stats like this.....
The Australian study found that buying back 3,500 guns per 100,000 people correlated with up to a 50 percent drop in firearm homicides and a 74 percent drop in gun suicides.
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... ics-charts

Foenix, there a lot more particulars at play here that your not recognizing. In all fairness. Australia isnt the hub of organized crime like canada. They do not have the easy, enforcement lacking country we have. Most of all crime and murders here are done with illegal guns. Those guns are very easily acquired for them. Those same guns used by criminals are smuggled from the United States.
JT has stated that this new policy is not directed at law abiding gun owners? Exactly how is this new policy about the smuggling of illegal guns used by criminals? changing the max. jail time for the smuggling of illegal guns into this country is a joke after spending the last 7 years talking about criminals serving less time in jail. And what good is it if we have a legal system that doesn't enforce max. sentencing?
This should be a good discussion ,but already the PM is mis leading the people with mis interpretations and statements.
How does this reduce the amount of crime and smuggled illegal guns in this country?
"If I find out who's been running this country for the last 8.5 yrs into the ground, there will be hell to pay",,,,,,,,,Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.
Andrewski
Banned

Post by Andrewski »

liisgo wrote: May 31st, 2022, 2:58 pm

Hmmm...yet there are stats like this.....

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... ics-charts

Foenix, there a lot more particulars at play here that your not recognizing. In all fairness. Australia isnt the hub of organized crime like canada. They do not have the easy, enforcement lacking country we have. Most of all crime and murders here are done with illegal guns. Those guns are very easily acquired for them. Those same guns used by criminals are smuggled from the United States.
JT has stated that this new policy is not directed at law abiding gun owners? Exactly how is this new policy about the smuggling of illegal guns used by criminals? changing the max. jail time for the smuggling of illegal guns into this country is a joke after spending the last 7 years talking about criminals serving less time in jail. And what good is it if we have a legal system that doesn't enforce max. sentencing?
This should be a good discussion ,but already the PM is mis leading the people with mis interpretations and statements.
How does this reduce the amount of crime and smuggled illegal guns in this country?
It won't. This is political posturing to tell the United States that we aren't total morons like they are. This is politically motivated to show the rest of the world we aren't as stupid as the United States and the human rights in our country is taken very seriously. More seriously than individuals rights to own killing tools.

This is a reminder to those Canadians who get upset over gun bans like they're the worst thing to ever happen to this country when the alternative is 19 children getting guned down every second week.

But how can we ever defend ourselves without our guns?!? Like the king of England is coming to get you.

Justice system is to handle crime.
Regulation is to handle mental instability that leads to shootings and suicides.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Jonrox wrote: May 31st, 2022, 1:50 pm I disagree. Changes like these will help to keep us from embracing the gun culture that has poisoned the US. Although it seems like the new laws won't change much for folks like you, they keep the pervasiveness of gun culture in check.

The problem in the US is that they never made lasting or meaningful changes to gun laws or how they think about guns and it got out of hand.

So although you think these rules do nothing, they actually express our values and potentially shift the way Canadians think about guns. Losing control of the narrative and culture of guns is what has pushed the Americans past the point of no return.
I disagree. Changes like this punish the people willing to take the necessary legal steps to obtain a firearm to shot at game meat and targets.

The proposed changes do nothing to address criminals.

How exactly is "gun culture" affected for legal gun owners?

You're suggesting that legal gun owners can be radicalized to carry out mass shootings, anything to back that up?
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Andrewski wrote: May 31st, 2022, 5:12 pm This is a reminder to those Canadians who get upset over gun bans like they're the worst thing to ever happen to this country when the alternative is 19 children getting guned down every second week.
That's like telling people we need to ban cars because people can drive over others. Somehow owning a gun is less important than a car.

Somehow a car serves a greater purpose that a firearm. Yet there is no definition defining this.
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

Do these changes/additions to bill 21 exclude certain groups of people like they did before? If assault weapons are allowed for hunting as was the case, depending on who you are, do these new laws allow for exemptions again based on race?
I'm hearing this is about our safety, so it's interesting the safety thing is only a reason when it relates to certain people's.
So from here on in, my attention, my families lives, the discretion to my safety is based on race? Only certain people will have the guns. That seems safe?
Kodidad
Übergod

Post by Kodidad »

Sparki55 wrote: May 31st, 2022, 5:49 pm

That's like telling people we need to ban cars because people can drive over others. Somehow owning a gun is less important than a car.

Somehow a car serves a greater purpose that a firearm. Yet there is no definition defining this.
What is the purpose of a gun? Not to wound, maim, cause flesh wounds, bash somebody over the head. No it's to KILL. Either human or animal. A car takes you places, like work, vacation, visit friends and family, pick up groceries.

Here's a definition for you. A car is a means of transportation. A gun is a means of death.
MY OPINIONS MEAN NOTHING, SAME AS YOURS
mikest2
Lord of the Board

Post by mikest2 »

The twit can't even answer a simple question, stunned pause followed by a return to the script.
Kudos to Juila Wong and the CBC for embarrassing the pants off the great pretender

https://twitter.com/i/status/1531431959616188416
Once I thought I was wrong.....but I was mistaken...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

mikest2 wrote: May 31st, 2022, 6:58 pm The twit can't even answer a simple question, stunned pause followed by a return to the script.
Kudos to Juila Wong and the CBC for embarrassing the pants off the great pretender

https://twitter.com/i/status/1531431959616188416
Absolutely no surprise at all, he is a jack :swear: pure and simple.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
I_am_a_Liberal
Übergod

Post by I_am_a_Liberal »

Nedroj wrote: May 31st, 2022, 10:27 am
foenix wrote: May 31st, 2022, 10:17 am The "brain dead" are also screaming....."he's taking our rights away", "where's our freedom"?
Hmmm just like the Brain-Dead people screaming about abortion rights being taken away.

Except Abortion does kill every time it's done, yet millions of Canadians use firearms every day without anyone being killed.........
This is laughable. And millions of evangelical submissive female homemakers - who are home schooling - will have sex and choose to have a baby when they get pregnant. As opposed to the paltry amount that has abortions....
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Kodidad wrote: May 31st, 2022, 6:42 pm Here's a definition for you. A car is a means of transportation. A gun is a means of death.
More hyperbole. That paper I punch holes in has now died a thousand deaths.

Whereas the majority of vehicles do form a mode of transportation, of goods or people, however, similar to firearms, vehicles are a means of death. I know as I have placed many vehicle occupants in body bags. as well as news reports from around the world where a vehicle has been the method of choice to kill and maim people intentionally.

Look, we can have continual blather as to what is worse, suicide by gunshot or CO poisonings, terror by fire arms or vehicles, terror attacks by airliners or Sarin gas.

Try not to compare the continual slaughter of Americans by other Americans by gunshot to Canadian fire arm incidents.
Yes, it has happened here and will likely happen again, regardless of any firearm regulations. Just like the continual deaths of Canadians by drunk/impaired drivers.

For me, Canada had terrific firearm rules and regs, however it annoys me to no end when apparently panicky people want law abiding citizens to give up their hobby or sport because gang bangers are killing each other on the streets of major metropolitan areas. Their nerve electrical impulses are taking a detour to areas of hyperbole.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Mark5
Board Meister

Post by Mark5 »

The handgun ban means two things. Firstly there will now be a growing black market in handguns and there will be no controls on them at all. They will be bought and traded just like with illegal drugs. Like cocaine and all the others drugs. The second is that if gangsters cannot get a handgun, they will use sawed of shotguns and rifles. More people will die. Many people survive being shot with a a handgun which uses a lower powered cartridge. I read somewhere the survival rate is 66%. With shotguns around 3%. Rifles are close to that. Taking away handguns from good people will not solve gun violence. Owning a gun does not make a person a killer. Same with owning a vehicle. We had the van attack in Toronto that killed ten people. Nobody blamed the ownership of the van. At any time, a driver can drive into a crowded sidewalk or people sitting at tables in front of coffee shops or restaurants. But this is extremely rare. That is because car drivers are not killers either. This whole attack on good citizens who own firearms is based on emotion, fear and revenge. It is barbaric.
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

the anti gun ban crowd is same crowd that wants lifted trucks while only being 4 ft 11 tall
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
foenix
Guru

Post by foenix »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 1st, 2022, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic

Return to “Canada”