Flood Watch?

Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Flood Watch?

Post by Lady tehMa »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/3 ... sing-water

How are the people near running water faring?
I haven't failed until I quit.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Flood Watch?

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Great I'm all clean now. :biggrin:
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

:cuss: , showered and shaved. :biggrin:

Back on topic, if we hit several days of hot weather, Kamloops could get a little damp.
I live near the South Thompson River and the recent rains have brought the river level up a noticeable amount.
https://www.castanetkamloops.net/news/K ... ter-levels
Last edited by ferri on Jun 6th, 2022, 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Word censor workaround.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I don't understand why anyone builds in a potential flood area. I would never buy a place where it would flood. If my place floods Noah will have his Ark ready to go.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Some people don't do their due diligence. And if you have never lived in an area prone to flooding, it may not be something that would occur to you (being outside the framework of your own experience). And some floodplains have a good long while between floods, so it wouldn't be in recent history.
I haven't failed until I quit.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

At this point, we don't have to worry about the minor tributaries like Mill Creek. They all gather melt from the lower elevations which is mostly done. It'll be the major tributaries like Mission Creek that we'll want to watch as well as the major lake levels. Last data I saw for both looked quite positive and I believe there is little chance of widespread flooding events this year.
ok-weezy
Fledgling

Post by ok-weezy »

TylerM4 wrote: Jun 7th, 2022, 8:42 am At this point, we don't have to worry about the minor tributaries like Mill Creek. They all gather melt from the lower elevations which is mostly done. It'll be the major tributaries like Mission Creek that we'll want to watch as well as the major lake levels. Last data I saw for both looked quite positive and I believe there is little chance of widespread flooding events this year.
Oh good! not sure i could handle another 137 day flood like the one of..(I think?) 2017
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

Only a few weeks ago wasn't the news reporting a great concern about the low level of Okanagan Lake ?
So shouldn't this runoff be welcomed to refill the lake before summer ?
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Walking the dogs along the beach of Okanagan lake yesterday I commented on where the water was in relation to a kids slide.
Today the water appeared to be a bit lower.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Snowpack in the North Thompson region is at 175%.
Snowpack in the South Thompson region is at 157%.

Downstream will get wet.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

200% of normal means very little this time of year. This station in the Coast mountains is at 800% of normal.
20220608_175612.jpg
Also, here is Mission Creek snowpack...
20220608_175621.jpg
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by MCB »

I live along the Nechako river and typically around this time of year it gets pretty high. I don't have a basement and the previous home owners left the shoreline natural so technically I should be okay so long as Kenny Dam doesn't grenade or the hydro-electric dam out in Kitimat doesn't start flood gating massive amounts of water!

...Coincidentally If Kenny Dam goes, the amount of water that earthen dam holds back...welp! I've driven across it and sweet baby jeebus! :200:
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Quite a long and somewhat sad story behind Kenney Dam which was once the world’s largest clay and rock filled, concrete injected dam. It’s old now and I’d be jittery too, MCB.
The Kenney Dam is a rock-fill embankment dam on the Nechako River in northwestern British Columbia, built in the early 1950s. The impoundment of water behind the dam forms the Nechako Reservoir, which is also commonly known as the Ootsa Lake Reservoir.
Wikipedia has the history.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
MCB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by MCB »

Catsumi wrote: Jun 8th, 2022, 10:05 pm Quite a long and somewhat sad story behind Kenney Dam which was once the world’s largest clay and rock filled, concrete injected dam. It’s old now and I’d be jittery too, MCB.
The Kenney Dam is a rock-fill embankment dam on the Nechako River in northwestern British Columbia, built in the early 1950s. The impoundment of water behind the dam forms the Nechako Reservoir, which is also commonly known as the Ootsa Lake Reservoir.
One of the guys I used to work with used to fish on it and said it was eerie as there are still old trees upright under the water. :200:
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

MCB wrote: Jun 8th, 2022, 10:10 pm
Catsumi wrote: Jun 8th, 2022, 10:05 pm Quite a long and somewhat sad story behind Kenney Dam which was once the world’s largest clay and rock filled, concrete injected dam. It’s old now and I’d be jittery too, MCB.

One of the guys I used to work with used to fish on it and said it was eerie as there are still old trees upright under the water. :200:
I recall companies conducting underwater logging operations in the reservoir, pulling out logs that were 60 or so years old.
We tried a few loads, nice looking wood but drying it was a challenge.

#StandUpToJewishHate

Return to “Flood Watch 2022”