Climate Change Mega Thread

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
YzzzR1
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by YzzzR1 »

JagXKR wrote: Jun 11th, 2022, 11:05 am
Just because the panels have an 40kwh rating does not mean they will generate that amount. In fact, I have been to the Queen Charlotte Islands and know quite well the amount of sunshine they get. Sweet foxtrot alpha.
They will be lucky to average 5kwh per day. Rarely will they ever get the 40kwh per day.
About 32% of possible daylight hours are bright sunshine hours for Sandspit, the only site on the islands with historical info on sunshine.
https://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate_n ... dispBack=1
And the alleged maximum would only be available if the panel(s) are perpendicular to the sun's position so they would have to be manually or automatically adjusted throughout the daylight hours to maintain that. Otherwise, the output would vary dependent on the suns position. A bit of Trig. would explain it all.
You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tuna Fish. REO SpdWgn
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Jlabute wrote: Jun 11th, 2022, 10:53 am Yup! Although, do EVs, wind and solar help in a micro way? Maybe, but not if one includes all the environmental damage caused by wind and solar. They are time wasters and virtue signalers at best. As they say, "without energy density, you require resource intensity".

Renewables have just about reached their peak efficiency too. Turbines can't get much better and either can solar panels. Every time Capt buys a Chinese blood panel (made by slave labour) they have to build a whole new coal fired plant to do it. There is a long break-even point for solar so they need longer and more direct sunlight.

One can't run a country on intermittent renewables. When renewables are built, they also build fossil fuel plants as back up. The sun doesn't always shine, and the wind doesn't always blow.

Back in 2016, Germany increased the number of turbines by 11%, but electrical production dropped 2% because, there wasn't enough wind. Pretty stupid.

Coal use keeps increasing. It is hard to replace coal as an energy and heat source for industry.

One has to admire France for using safe clean nuclear to generate more than 70% of their power. Compared to Germany, France electric rates are half, and France is cleaner without all the goofy renewables. France plans to build 8 more reactors.
^^^ :up: :up:
Most smart energy gurus will say safe nuclear is the way to go if countries want to reduce their greenhouse gas emissions and replace it with an energy producing system(s) that are not dependent on weather.

Windy /solar might be an interim solution but either require a pretty good duplication/over production of renewable or a back up system is required to keep industry and the populace happy.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

For all those concerned about toxic materials from mining , here you go , fill your boots .

https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/06/ ... -dust-bowl
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

captkirkcanada wrote: Jun 12th, 2022, 8:30 am For all those concerned about toxic materials from mining , here you go , fill your boots .

https://www.euronews.com/green/2022/06/ ... -dust-bowl
and?

The Great Salt Lake? Oooohhhh, it’s a lake, not a mine.

The lake used to be half the size of Utah 16000 years ago. Evaporation and drought cause the lake level to highly fluctuate. The lowest level of this shallow lake was in the early 60’s, and the highest level in the last 100 years was in the 90’s. Climatic patterns will eventually bring more run off to fill it up. Of course, it has been getting smaller for 16000 years.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Well if you read the link it says why i wrote that . It very much has to do with mining . It is very clear in the article why it is linked to mining. An its a way bigger threat than a lithium mine could ever be as it involves arsnic and heavy metals .

I know if i was reading this thread for the first time where i would put my money and it wouldnt be opinions , educated or UNeducated :smt045 :up:
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

The Aral Sea has dried up at an astonishing rate too, being sucked off to industries and farming, water diversions, etc. I am just curious if the same concerns of blow off from winds over previously underwater sands is a concern as well to human inhalation.

Or, maybe just in N. America?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Ice cores show temperatures were much warmer 4000 years ago, without the CO2 we have today. Temperature are rising today because we have headed out of a little ice age. This makes sense since sea levels were about 10 feet higher back then too.
They found that if they go back about 4,000 years ago, they have temperatures that were two-and-a-half degrees warmer on average than today.
https://climatechangedispatch.com/green ... years-ago/

Last edited by Jlabute on Jun 13th, 2022, 7:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

captkirkcanada wrote: Jun 12th, 2022, 3:15 pm I know if i was reading this thread for the first time where i would put my money and it wouldn't be opinions , educated or UNeducated :smt045 :up:
Obviously, you put your money in the 'could', 'maybe', 'ya never know' of activists, and the gravitational effect of the dust around Uranus, and rarely in science.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

So can anyone guess what this image is? Or what it represents?
Stay tuned for the answer. :biggrin:
Screenshot 2022-06-13.png
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Australia where almost a third of all households are equipped with rooftop solar. Australia has the highest penetration rate in the world. Over the past two years, and in the midst of a pandemic, over 3 gigawatts (GW) of rooftop solar were installed. If we add commercial and industrial rooftop systems, we get a combined total rooftop solar capacity of 17 GW at the end of 2021.
https://cleantechnica.com/2022/06/12/ca ... seholders/

Interesting tidbit considering we have been told austrailia was rejecting renewables but alas a third there have solar with it gaining steam .
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

JagXKR wrote: Jun 13th, 2022, 9:09 pm So can anyone guess what this image is? Or what it represents?
Stay tuned for the answer. :biggrin:
That's a toughie. My first guess would be some normalized sea level in centimeters?? :-)
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Jlabute wrote: Jun 14th, 2022, 6:52 am That's a toughie. My first guess would be some normalized sea level in centimeters?? :-)
Blue holes and the history they hold.
A new study showing hurricanes and tropical storms were MUCH MORE frequent in the past than today, even with the very recent years of higher than "normal" storms. Looks like the "normal" is way higher than the eco terrorists would have us believe.
When an eco terrorist speaks people lose brain cells. [icon_lol2.gif]
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science- ... 180980235/
or
https://hakaimagazine.com/news/blue-hol ... -long-low/
blue-hole-graph-01.jpg
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

^^^ well that I definitely would not have guessed! Very interesting though.
lol. Looking at the peaks of 1600AD and 1800AD and about 10cm change, I thought that'd be it :-) Pretty coincidental.

Capture.PNG
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

New Data Absolutely Destroys Media Claims of ‘Climate Change is Causing More Wildfire'

Despite the UN telling us there will be increasingly off-the-chart wild fires, the (European Space Agency) ESA satellite gathered evidence showing otherwise. There is no correlation between CO2 and wildfires so far.

https://climaterealism.com/2022/06/new- ... -wildfire/

firearea1.png
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Now we know where bp is taking its money from alberta tar sands to renewables in australia .

https://www.ft.com/content/78361493-4ed ... 34e44a90dc

BP has made one of its biggest renewable energy bets yet, acquiring the largest stake in a vast solar, wind and green hydrogen project in Western Australia that will cost more than $30bn to develop.

The energy major said on Wednesday that it had agreed to buy 40.5 per cent of the Asian Renewable Energy Hub, which it will also operate. The deal remains subject to approval in Australia.

The oil cards are starting to fall faster and faster. Like a runaway train so to speak [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif] :smt045
Harm Reduction Is Cool

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”