Affordable Housing Solutions

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Affordable Housing Solutions

Post by Queen K »

I knew a family so terrified that their landlord would evict them that they didn't want it known their bathroom had no running hot water.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Queen K wrote: Jun 22nd, 2022, 10:43 pm I knew a family so terrified that their landlord would evict them that they didn't want it known their bathroom had no running hot water.
In which country was that?
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

Queen K wrote: Jun 22nd, 2022, 10:43 pm I knew a family so terrified that their landlord would evict them that they didn't want it known their bathroom had no running hot water.
It 's in the best interest of all for the property to be kept in good repair, so the above thinking is harmful to both parties.

Landlords should actually check-in with their tenants from time to time, inquiring if anything needs tending to, according to landlord/tenant arbitrators.

~
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Let me guess: The family had been in there for a few years and the landlord had bandied-about the idea of a significant property renovation renoviction, and some plumbing issues could mean cutting into walls,and, why not just do those ‘upgrades’, right?
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

That could have been it right there. This was before rents went stupid high, long time ago, I wonder what happened to them.
BC Landlord wrote: Jun 22nd, 2022, 11:08 pm
In which country was that?
South end of downtown, Patterson or Morrison Ave? One of those. I'm in a different position in life to see things, even briefly, and get the story. They were terrified that if the landlord thought one more thing went wrong with the house, they'd be evicted. Old old house too. From experience, and I've had two old houses, and things go wrong.

Rejigger, I agree. But clearly there was history and sometimes people don't wish to put their head up. Even for hot water in a bathroom.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

With the exception of ONE very tiny war house going for $1,800/month, everything is over $2,000, and sometimes vastly over.

https://classifieds.castanet.net/cat/re ... _home/?p=2
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

A house on our street sold in January for $1.2M and the vendors moved out between May 31 & Jun 15th. It was listed for rent at $4500/mo. It’s still empty. If they put an Air B&B in there I am going to lose my sh&7.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Queen K wrote: Jun 23rd, 2022, 7:32 am South end of downtown, Patterson or Morrison Ave? One of those. I'm in a different position in life to see things, even briefly, and get the story. They were terrified that if the landlord thought one more thing went wrong with the house, they'd be evicted. Old old house too. From experience, and I've had two old houses, and things go wrong.
And probably paying "affordable" rent by some posters' standards here.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Back then rents weren't stupid greedy.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

Queen K wrote: Jun 23rd, 2022, 9:55 pm Back then rents weren't stupid greedy.
Neither are they today. Do you also call your local grocer “greedy” for charging you $40/kg steaks?
Rejigger
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Rejigger »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jun 24th, 2022, 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Rental at $1,400 per/month is affordable to an individual or couple who’s yearly take home income (after deductions) equals $55,000. My reasoning is if this individual or couple want to be able save for a down payment on their own home.

Of course with current inflation issues going on, this yearly take home pay may need to be higher.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Queen K wrote: Jun 23rd, 2022, 9:55 pm Back then rents weren't stupid greedy.
The price of homes disagrees with you.
BC Landlord
Guru

Post by BC Landlord »

GordonH wrote: Jun 24th, 2022, 2:19 am Rental at $1,400 per/month is affordable to an individual or couple who’s yearly take home income (after deductions) equals $55,000.
Every rental is affordable , ... to someone.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

BC Landlord wrote: Jun 24th, 2022, 7:59 pm
GordonH wrote: Jun 24th, 2022, 2:19 am Rental at $1,400 per/month is affordable to an individual or couple who’s yearly take home income (after deductions) equals $55,000.
Every rental is affordable , ... to someone.
Doubtful there are any affordable rentals for those who’s take home pay is $35,000 or less (in case you’re having math issues it equals to $875 per/month with yearly THP of $35,000).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Social Concerns”