Kelowna Civic Elections this October......HEAVY Changes Needed

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Kelowna Civic Elections this October......HEAVY Changes Needed

Post by Ken7 »

Davis_Kyle wrote: Jun 26th, 2022, 4:51 pm Good day all.

My name is Davis Kyle - you may have read in Infonews, the Courier, and Capital News that I am running for city council this fall. I submitted a press release to Castanet Thursday, but not dice on a news story so far.

Davis Kyle
How long have you lived in this area?

What are your views of the use of this great lake? Are we inviting or discouraging people from using it?

What are your views of the state our downtown is in with homeless vagrants and bike thieves?

I'd like to hear your thoughts...
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

CrystalCity wrote: Jun 27th, 2022, 11:39 am Tracy Gray's running as councilor didn't become national news, nor did Terry Lake when he ran for Mayor in Kamloops. Doug Ford, Gordan Campbell, and Gregor Robinson made national news, as did the Mayor of Calgary.
I voted for Gray once, although not again. She has no spine and doesn't respond to correspondence.

If she can't respect her supporters, how can one respect her and support her. She needs to go find a real job.
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

Ken7 wrote: Jul 7th, 2022, 8:23 pm
CrystalCity wrote: Jun 27th, 2022, 11:39 am Tracy Gray's running as councilor didn't become national news, nor did Terry Lake when he ran for Mayor in Kamloops. Doug Ford, Gordan Campbell, and Gregor Robinson made national news, as did the Mayor of Calgary.
I voted for Gray once, although not again. She has no spine and doesn't respond to correspondence.

If she can't respect her supporters, how can one respect her and support her. She needs to go find a real job.
She absolutely responds to correspondence. I have contacted her 3 times, received a response 3 times and she went beyond and above to resolve a problem. Perhaps it was the tone of your correspondence? Everyone is entitled to courtesy and respect.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

MAPearce wrote: Jul 7th, 2022, 5:05 pm
one wheel wrote: Jul 7th, 2022, 4:59 pm Yikes - what could be worse than having Rick Webber, Maxine DeHart & Gail Givens on Council ?
I'm more than OK with Webber . He's been around here for a long time and if you meet him , even for ten minutes , he comes across as a real human being ..

Good Luck Rick .
He's shown zero leadership abilities, and zero decision making ability. Name recognition does not make him suitable.

From what I've seen, he's a red Liberal. Who would be proudly displaying this on their Facebook page? Do we want more #JustinFlation in Kelowna, more taxes, more debt?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

A smaller government makes room for bigger citizens.

"We know that Russia must win this war." ~ Justin Trudeau, Feb 26, 2024.
spooker

Post by spooker »

Ken7 wrote: Jul 7th, 2022, 8:21 pm

My name is Davis Kyle - you may have read in Infonews, the Courier, and Capital News that I am running for city council this fall. I submitted a press release to Castanet Thursday, but not dice on a news story so far.

Davis Kyle

What are your views of the use of this great lake? Are we inviting or discouraging people from using it?

What are your views of the state our downtown is in with homeless vagrants and bike thieves?

Here you go: https://www.kyleforkelowna.com/
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

spooker wrote: Jul 8th, 2022, 8:33 am
Ken7 wrote: Jul 7th, 2022, 8:21 pm How long have you lived in this area?

Here you go: https://www.kyleforkelowna.com/
This in itself discounts Kyle to me, forever. I can just imagine him making life an economic hell for everyone.
I support the City of Kelowna declaring a climate emergency
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

Jlabute wrote: Jul 8th, 2022, 9:20 am This in itself discounts Kyle to me, forever. I can just imagine him making life an economic hell for everyone.
I support the City of Kelowna declaring a climate emergency
Agreed. I'm sure my nosiest neighbour is already sitting by with a stopwatch to report me when I warm my diesel truck up for 61 seconds when it's -20 out.

We don't need any more of this expensive fairy tale shoved down our throats (or up whichever other orifice Mr Kyle has in mind).
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Davis_Kyle

Post by Davis_Kyle »

Ken7 wrote: Jul 7th, 2022, 8:21 pm

Davis Kyle

Moved in 2003 with family from Calgary. Kelowna was always home, but I got a Commerce degree from UVic since then as well.

We seem to be discouraging it. Al Janusas has an organization called PLANKelowna which talks about how Lakeshore (foreshore) access is impacted by boat docks, and how the city should adopt a buy-sever-sell policy for future lakefront parkland. As mentioned, I went to university in Victoria, and they did a much better job of keeping the waterfront public. We should have a long term plan for more boardwalk or waterfront path access, much like how they have more public beach in Victoria or Vancouver.

I also sail with COSA - which is by far the easiest / cheapest way for people to get on the water barring something small like a kayak or paddleboard. They are dying for boat storage space (huge waitlist). By waiving section 8 requirements or allowing them to expand boat storage by 5-10 feet to the north (replacing one of a couple paths to the beach), we could get a bit more space for them. Current city staff have refused to do this.

As a sidenote, I supporting saving the OMAC, Okanagan Mission Activity Center, at Sarsons. The city has been trying to tear it down even though it's a profit-making venue for the city and a one-of-a-kind center for seniors groups, community events, and organizations like the Mission Painters.

I oppose dense housing between the last road and Okanagan Lake, we can step back the density to keep more opportunities for future parkland. I generally oppose P3 lakefront plans like the Eldorado boardwalk unless they are properly monitered for unlawful closure - the boardwalk being closed so long was disgraceful during covid.

Any other concerns I'd be happy to answer, if you are asking about boat launches? Etc.

Obviously awful. As a Director with the Kelowna Area Cycling Coalition, I know members have concerns about bike theft. Personally, I support a bike crime unit of a couple new officers so we can eliminate chop shops and bike theft. This also can mean zoning changes to encourage secure indoor bike parking, and expanding the secure bike storage program that already exists.

In terms of homelessness, the BC urban mayors caucus has been demanding changes so that we can end the revolving door of petty crime that is causing so much vandalism / theft / etc downtown and in the other urban cores. I support that, just like I support hiring RCMP officers to match our population growth.

In terms of housing, I support complex care and dry housing for rehabilitation. Obviously the worst option is allowing continued homelessness and drug abuse in parks and on the streets, so treatment and shelters have to be part of the solution. The only non-negociables are that I oppose tent encampments, and that we have to follow BC court rulings that say that tenting is legal if there isn't enough shelter space. My own house is dry housing, so I dont think it's an unreasonable expectation for treatment to be part of a wrap-around service strategy to get people back on their feet as working members of society. My platform talks about the need for affordable housing, thanks to Spooker for providing a link.

spooker

Post by spooker »

Gone_Fishin wrote: Jul 8th, 2022, 9:24 am Agreed. I'm sure my nosiest neighbour is already sitting by with a stopwatch to report me when I warm my diesel truck up for 61 seconds when it's -20 out.
Actually I don't need a stopwatch, I've already automated it with a microphone and AI ... I've switched to using Sendgrid as they can handle the amount of complaints it'll be sending in each winter [icon_lol2.gif]
Gone_Fishin
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Gone_Fishin »

spooker wrote: Jul 8th, 2022, 10:26 am
Gone_Fishin wrote: Jul 8th, 2022, 9:24 am Agreed. I'm sure my nosiest neighbour is already sitting by with a stopwatch to report me when I warm my diesel truck up for 61 seconds when it's -20 out.
Actually I don't need a stopwatch, I've already automated it with a microphone and AI ... I've switched to using Sendgrid as they can handle the amount of complaints it'll be sending in each winter [icon_lol2.gif]
Sounds like it's time I rolled some coal at a nosy cyclist! :up:
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Thanks Kyle Davis for your reply! Much appreciate it.
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

Seems like after working for CHBC, next step is city council. Mmmm :200:
What Kelowna really needs is a new Mayor for starters who is not part of the development community.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

casey60 wrote: Jul 8th, 2022, 10:59 am Seems like after working for CHBC, next step is city council. Mmmm :200:
What Kelowna really needs is a new Mayor for starters who is not part of the development community.
Governments are for the people, by the people. We should have people from all sorts of backgrounds running things. Webber will do a fine job in city council. He's smart, kind, well read and is an information junkie.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

Nothing against R Webber. Hope you are correct.
Patron
Lord of the Board

Post by Patron »

JLives wrote: Jul 8th, 2022, 11:07 am
casey60 wrote: Jul 8th, 2022, 10:59 am Seems like after working for CHBC, next step is city council. Mmmm :200:
Governments are for the people, by the people. We should have people from all sorts of backgrounds running things. Webber will do a fine job in city council. He's smart, kind, well read and is an information junkie.

I fully agree too !! those who think they could do a better job should then run for the positions themselves. We need some new blood a long time local is a good thing

Return to “Civic Elections 2022”