Growing/sharing/learning to garden: 2022

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Re: Growing/sharing/learning to garden: 2022

Post by oneh2obabe »

Black Dahlia - friend in northern BC grew these before he moved.
Black Dahlia.jpg
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Spent hot day in garden….also weeding out freakin’ morning glory out of old fellah’s flower beds. I detest that weed, roots go down to hell. If anyone has a remedy, please share. All I can come up with is atomic bomb and figure it’ll still grow.

I do it every year. Never learn. My lettuces growing under sheer curtains are perfect, no bites, no sun scald,but just too much of it. Picked a huge pail of leaves into cold water to prevent wilting…then home again to knock on condo doors…got rid of it all in 3 knocks. Delighted recipients.

[icon_lol2.gif]
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

fresh garden lettuce the best. I think we had it every day - my Mommy gardened.
she used a vinegar and sugar mix over it - wish I had some right now
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Nooby
Übergod

Post by Nooby »

Stupid deer ate pretty much all my beautiful lilies last night :-X , we've had them for 8 years and they've never touched them until now. Little b**** (they are also very aggressive this year, more so than usual - have charged numerous people walking dogs even though the babies don't appear to be with them).
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Back fence garden bed is done! Had to buy a bit more mulch to cover the landscape fabric. But the pile is gone from the front (2 years ago I bought 2 yards, delivered - took a while to use it all). We're having some crush delivered so Husband can install some kind of drain thing around the carport for reasons (I'm not sure). I'm going to use some of it to cover perennially weedy areas.

Eating young turnips, carrots, strawberries, raspberries, haskaps, lettuce and peas.
I haven't failed until I quit.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Lady tehMa wrote: Jul 2nd, 2022, 11:14 am Back fence garden bed is done! Had to buy a bit more mulch to cover the landscape fabric. But the pile is gone from the front (2 years ago I bought 2 yards, delivered - took a while to use it all). We're having some crush delivered so Husband can install some kind of drain thing around the carport for reasons (I'm not sure). I'm going to use some of it to cover perennially weedy areas.

Eating young turnips, carrots, strawberries, raspberries, haskaps, lettuce and peas.
It's called a "French Drain"

Bring back the LIKE button.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Yes, that's the thing :130:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Mr. QK just cut open a store bought tomato and seeds are sprouting inside. Creepy and fascinating. I will plant the whole tomato to see what if anything, happens.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Queen K wrote: Jul 3rd, 2022, 10:16 am Mr. QK just cut open a store bought tomato and seeds are sprouting inside. Creepy and fascinating. I will plant the whole tomato to see what if anything, happens.
I have had that happen a couple of times in the past.
It happens when the fruit ripens too fast on the outside but is still green on the inside.

With the price of food today, take it back to the store for a replacement. Or plant half as an experiment and return the other half, win/win.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Queen K wrote: Jul 3rd, 2022, 10:16 am Mr. QK just cut open a store bought tomato and seeds are sprouting inside. Creepy and fascinating. I will plant the whole tomato to see what if anything, happens.
I've had that happen a lot, especially in the last few years. I got some really nice Campari tomatoes by planting, one year. When it happens I usually end up spending time seeding the tomato so I can eat the fruit part :/ a little work-intensive.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Had an elderly neighbour come over from the condo building nearby - she remembered scoring rhubarb from me last year and asked it I had any to share again. We ended up exchanging numbers. She's a neat lady, and remembers cool stuff about when Rutland was farmland.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Capture 3.jpg
Capture 2.jpg
Capture 1.jpg
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Visited garden today that is still moist from all the rain…pulled more carrots, lettuce, green onion tops…huge salad for me tonite plus lots to gift. Zuch plants have now 3 Bavarian sausage sized, glossy and healthy looking produce that will be harvested in another week (gotta eat that lettuce!] :biggrin:

One small tom, marble sized, has appeared in the Brandywine tom plant…luxurious growth on other tom plants but no fruit showing yet.

Green beans are bushing out, flowering like crazy, so it seems to me that no harm was done by the downpours.

Fertilized and watered

Home again. It’s costing me a few shekels in gasoline going back and forth to tend to plants, but it’s a labour of love.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Pulling garlic now. We usually wait til Mid July but the rains has made the garlic close to molding out. I believe I may have lost it all if I didn't get curious about how it was going as I saw someone did on a fb page. I am glad I did.

Overall this year is a crushing defeat for food growing as I just could not get out there like I usually do. If it wasn't rain it was working double shifts and then other obligations. Next year we are revamping the whole garden situation anyways, and garlic is going straight in-ground in October, not November like last year. We were and then we weren't then we did, late.

Usually after the peas are all picked I let the plants just be happy plants. Not this year. I am pulling them all now and replanting something else as an experiment. They will go straight to the compost bin this year before they dry out too.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

We now have an abundance of Rhubarb plants (6) that are all doing well. :200:

Mrs Suds planted some cabbage and cauliflower as an experiment and they are doing well also.

Carrots and radishes are not doing well but the green bean's are starting to go crazy with flowers.

My first Tomato's are developing as are the Cucumber's.

As usual the weed crop is beyond expectations! :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Creative Endeavours”