Growing/sharing/learning to garden: 2022

Home/car maintenance, renos, gardening, DIY, farming, creative endeavours.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Growing/sharing/learning to garden: 2022

Post by Catsumi »

Sudz, I think it’s much too late for radishes (unless you get lucky). I think you said last year that your garden is shaded so that might help, but once the soil is warm, out comes hungry pests.

Carrots are slow. I planted mine way back in April and they are just maturing now. I’ll pull and process them and replant more carrots. Seedlings must be kept moist.

I hope your cabbage and cauliflower do well. I love cauliflower but not cabbage worms or dusting with pesticide.

Gardening is lotsa fun
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Bsuds wrote: Jul 9th, 2022, 8:46 am
As usual the weed crop is beyond expectations! :biggrin:
Same =_=
I spent the last 2 hours weeding the veggie bed. Came in for a rest - I'm about a third done .

Might pick one of my cabbages, I am going to pick peas. Baby turnips are darn tasty, will pick some of those.

Tomatoes are starting! I have a few with colour, bare shades yet but still . . .
I haven't failed until I quit.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Catsumi wrote: Jul 9th, 2022, 9:27 am Gardening is lotsa fun
Mrs Suds thinks it is...she plants and expects me to weed! :-X
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Weeding is full time 'round here.

I pulled the peas out and found all kinds of weeds hiding in and around the overgrowth. Just for fun I 'm throwing in green bean seeds where they were. I planted peas just last week along where some have just finished. Potato vines are laying down too, they were the early variety, just waiting for them to dry abit. Pulled all the garlic once I realized it was just too wet for them all, I did ok for a November planting time. That won't happen again though.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Yup! Gardening veggies brings out the killer instinct. Haha. :biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

Harvested raspberries today. Last year they were singed and shrivelled seed balls, with no moisture at all. This year they are juicy but not a lot of sweetness - need a bit more sun. I have a bumper crop though!
ok-weezy
Fledgling

Post by ok-weezy »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Happy-Gou ... adian-food

Ever hear of "sneak zucchini on neighbour's front porch day"? Sounds kinda fun
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

ok-weezy wrote: Jul 11th, 2022, 11:13 am https://www.castanet.net/news/Happy-Gou ... adian-food

Absolutely. When I was looking after neighbour’s house I found an enormous Zuch in my garden. On their arrival date I set it out on their doorstep, all dressed up in Hawaiian style skirt, eyes, nose, hat, etc with a note pinned to it saying “I will turn into a chocolate chip zucchini cake if you adopt me”

I got a few slices out of that one !

Unknown
ok-weezy
Fledgling

Post by ok-weezy »

Catsumi wrote: Jul 11th, 2022, 6:12 pm
ok-weezy wrote: Jul 11th, 2022, 11:13 am https://www.castanet.net/news/Happy-Gou ... adian-food

Absolutely. When I was looking after neighbour’s house I found an enormous Zuch in my garden. On their arrival date I set it out on their doorstep, all dressed up in Hawaiian style skirt, eyes, nose, hat, etc with a note pinned to it saying “I will turn into a chocolate chip zucchini cake if you adopt me”

That's great! wish you were my neighbour..lol
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

ok-weezy wrote: Jul 12th, 2022, 8:13 am
Catsumi wrote: Jul 11th, 2022, 6:12 pm

That's great! wish you were my neighbour..lol
Thanks. :biggrin:

Those huge zucs are often sent to composter, but once peeled and the soft mallow inner part removed, they are great chopped up and added to soups; or send them thru food processor, freeze in 1 cup portions and add to cake mixes .

I bet oneH20 has 100 uses for those babies!

Must pick green beans pdq.

Unknown
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

My green beans are woeful. Glad yours are doing well!
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Lady tehMa wrote: Jul 12th, 2022, 7:22 pm My green beans are woeful. Glad yours are doing well!
Guess we’re even with your raspberry and cabbage, etc outshining my meagre offerings. :biggrin:

Unknown
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Catsumi wrote: Jul 12th, 2022, 5:57 pm Those huge zucs are often sent to composter, but once peeled and the soft mallow inner part removed, they are great chopped up and added to soups; or send them thru food processor, freeze in 1 cup portions and add to cake mixes .

I bet oneH20 has 100 uses for those babies!

Must pick green beans pdq.
Hate zucchini but have lots of recipes to fall back on when neighbours and friends do the midnight run knowing they'll be getting some home baking/cooking in a day or two.

Green beans are on the hate list - very picky about veggies I like.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Within 48 hours my gorgeous butter lettuces went from perfection to bolting. Too much heat, too fast.

Pulled them out and used their bodies as mulch around toms and cucs. Oh well, lots of zuc around for salads. Will plant more carrots in vacant beds.

Unknown

Return to “Creative Endeavours”