Climate Change Mega Thread

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
foenix
Guru

Re: Climate Change Mega Thread

Post by foenix »

Jlabute wrote: Jul 6th, 2022, 12:05 am LOL. Sea-level won't rise by a meter in the next 77 years. This is based on extremely poor models and poor understanding of climate and CO2. Sea-level rise is not accelerating and that is pretty much an indication it is rising at a nominal rate since the 1800's. Eventually, sea-level will bust over the dikes... sea-level has already naturally been 15 feet higher 6000 years back. It is bound to happen some time.
[icon_lol2.gif]
The rate of sea-level rise in the 20th century along much of the U.S. Atlantic coast was the fastest in 2,000 years, and southern New Jersey had the fastest rates, according to a Rutgers-led study.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2 ... 131216.htm

Between about 21,000 years and about 11,700 years ago, Earth warmed about 4 degrees C (7.2 degrees F), and the oceans rose (with a slight lag after the onset of warming) about 85 meters, or about 280 feet. However, sea levels continued to rise another 45 meters (about 150 feet) after the warming ended, to a total of 130 meters (from its initial level, before warming began), or about 430 feet, reaching its modern level about 3,000 years ago.

This means that, even after temperatures reached their maximum and leveled off, the ice sheets continued to melt for another 8,000 years until they reached an equilibrium with temperatures.

Stated another way, the ice sheets’ response to warming continued for 8,000 years after warming had already ended, with the meltwater contribution to global sea levels totaling 45 additional meters of sea-level rise.

From about 3,000 years ago to about 100 years ago, sea levels naturally rose and declined slightly, with little change in the overall trend. Over the past 100 years, global temperatures have risen about 1 degree C (1.8 degrees F), with sea level response to that warming totaling about 160 to 210 mm (with about half of that amount occurring since 1993), or about 6 to 8 inches. And the current rate of sea-level rise is unprecedented over the past several millennia.
https://sealevel.nasa.gov/faq/13/how-lo ... -previous/
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

foenix wrote: Jul 6th, 2022, 6:10 am
Jlabute wrote: Jul 6th, 2022, 12:05 am LOL. Sea-level won't rise by a meter in the next 77 years. This is based on extremely poor models and poor understanding of climate and CO2. Sea-level rise is not accelerating and that is pretty much an indication it is rising at a nominal rate since the 1800's. Eventually, sea-level will bust over the dikes... sea-level has already naturally been 15 feet higher 6000 years back. It is bound to happen some time.
[icon_lol2.gif]
The rate of sea-level rise in the 20th century along much of the U.S. Atlantic coast was the fastest in 2,000 years, and southern New Jersey had the fastest rates, according to a Rutgers-led study.

Between about 21,000 years and about 11,700 years ago, Earth warmed about 4 degrees C (7.2 degrees F), and the oceans rose (with a slight lag after the onset of warming) about 85 meters, or about 280 feet. However, sea levels continued to rise another 45 meters (about 150 feet) after the warming ended, to a total of 130 meters (from its initial level, before warming began), or about 430 feet, reaching its modern level about 3,000 years ago.

This means that, even after temperatures reached their maximum and leveled off, the ice sheets continued to melt for another 8,000 years until they reached an equilibrium with temperatures.

Stated another way, the ice sheets’ response to warming continued for 8,000 years after warming had already ended, with the meltwater contribution to global sea levels totaling 45 additional meters of sea-level rise.

From about 3,000 years ago to about 100 years ago, sea levels naturally rose and declined slightly, with little change in the overall trend. Over the past 100 years, global temperatures have risen about 1 degree C (1.8 degrees F), with sea level response to that warming totaling about 160 to 210 mm (with about half of that amount occurring since 1993), or about 6 to 8 inches. And the current rate of sea-level rise is unprecedented over the past several millennia.
:spitcoffee:

Rate of rise is the fastest in the last 2000 years, because, sea-level was mostly falling for the last 2000 years until the mid-1800's. LOL.

SO, if I get this right:

jlabute: The sea-level will not rise by 1 meter by 2100 (in 77 years)
foenix: Unprecedented! Unprecedented! The last 30 years it went up by 80mm to 105mm! So in 70 years (2100) that'll be 245mm!!!
jlabute: Still not a meter in 77 years, 245mm is just less than 1/4 a meter.

lol.
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Jlabute wrote: Jul 9th, 2022, 1:13 pm
foenix wrote: Jul 6th, 2022, 6:10 am
[icon_lol2.gif]
:spitcoffee:

Rate of rise is the fastest in the last 2000 years, because, sea-level was mostly falling for the last 2000 years until the mid-1800's. LOL.

SO, if I get this right:

jlabute: The sea-level will not rise by 1 meter by 2100 (in 77 years)
foenix: Unprecedented! Unprecedented! The last 30 years it went up by 80mm to 105mm! So in 70 years (2100) that'll be 245mm!!!
jlabute: Still not a meter in 77 years, 245mm is just less than 1/4 a meter.

lol.
The sea is rising faster because of human caused climate change. It is called the greenhouse effect . The same thing that kills kids and pets in cars with windows rolled up on hot days . It is called facts vs someones uneducated opinions :smt045
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

I’m pretty damn sure (100%) Jlabute is not an uneducated, conspiracy driven and thoughtless poster.

Just the opposite to your suppositions.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

They are out there..
We are on the rock at the moment and drove down to Sidney to have lunch with the son.
While waiting we walked down to the Port Sidney marina to look at boats that we can't afford.
A lady was walking the other way with a pup miniture Shnouzer and sure enough the topic got onto the weather.
She blamed it on Chem trails.
But her brothers are pilots and know all about it.
She was dead serious. Gawd, I thought these people live in one's imagination...
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

seewood wrote: Jul 11th, 2022, 8:03 am They are out there..
We are on the rock at the moment and drove down to Sidney to have lunch with the son.
While waiting we walked down to the Port Sidney marina to look at boats that we can't afford.
A lady was walking the other way with a pup miniture Shnouzer and sure enough the topic got onto the weather.
She blamed it on Chem trails.
But her brothers are pilots and know all about it.
She was dead serious. Gawd, I thought these people live in one's imagination...
The part of that which would really be scary would be if her pilot brothers believed it too!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Catsumi wrote: Jul 10th, 2022, 6:07 pm I’m pretty damn sure (100%) Jlabute is not an uneducated, conspiracy driven and thoughtless poster.

Well i can only go based on the desperation in that persons answers to convince themselves that ppl pets dont die in cars from windows rolled up on a hot sunny day ,also known as a greenhouse effect . Which is whats happening to the earth.

Never supplies links or peer approved research so what do you expect me to think ? Ppl can have opinions but they need to be expressed as that an opinion not magically turned into facts
Harm Reduction Is Cool
Real men do not need to idle their cars in minus weather . I call them men that do wimps .
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

6 nations is going renewable in canada where its supposedly impossible to use solar lol .

The Weather Network: How the largest First Nations community is powered with renewable energy.
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/en/ne ... ble-energy

Things are heating up
Harm Reduction Is Cool
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

captkirkcanada wrote: Jul 11th, 2022, 9:18 am 6 nations is going renewable in canada where its supposedly impossible to use solar lol .

The Weather Network: How the largest First Nations community is powered with renewable energy.

Things are heating up
Well they might realize the cons later down the road.
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

hozzle wrote: Jul 11th, 2022, 10:19 am
captkirkcanada wrote: Jul 11th, 2022, 9:18 am 6 nations is going renewable in canada where its supposedly impossible to use solar lol .

Things are heating up
Are you suggesting these people cant figure stuff out ? That seems like selling them short
Harm Reduction Is Cool
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Catsumi wrote: Jul 10th, 2022, 6:07 pm I’m pretty damn sure (100%) Jlabute is not an uneducated, conspiracy driven and thoughtless poster.

I don't think he's dumb or anything like that and I'm sure he knows his way around charts and graphs. He's also not a climate scientist and is unqualified in making scientific determinations. That's why he doesn't link climate science research papers, he links blogs. Playing an expert on the internet does not make it so.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
captkirkcanada
Banned

Post by captkirkcanada »

Wooden towers for wind power units coming

https://www.intelligentliving.co/massiv ... footprint/
Harm Reduction Is Cool
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

captkirkcanada wrote: Jul 11th, 2022, 11:29 am
hozzle wrote: Jul 11th, 2022, 10:19 am
Are you suggesting these people cant figure stuff out ? That seems like selling them short
"can't figure stuff out?"
Those are your words, and don't really lend to any meaningful conversation... I'm sure they are more than capable of setting up a solar plant... it's the repercussions that they may have either ignored or overlooked that may become more prevalent to the rest at a later time.
“The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient, while nature cures the disease." & “doctors put drugs of what they know little into bodies of which they know less for diseases of which they know nothing at all.”
- M. de Voltaire
hozzle
Lord of the Board

Post by hozzle »

captkirkcanada wrote: Jul 11th, 2022, 1:20 pm Wooden towers for wind power units coming

https://www.intelligentliving.co/massiv ... footprint/
That's not a very smart idea :135:
- M. de Voltaire

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”